1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mufasa in Training
33,367 Posts
It's an interesting exercise, but it lacks the one thing that makes a lead sled a sled--a long wheelbase :(

(well, that and a bunch of bodywork to make the car look longer than it really is)

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
It's an interesting exercise, but it lacks the one thing that makes a lead sled a sled--a long wheelbase :(

(well, that and a bunch of bodywork to make the car look longer than it really is)
And a proper engine.

Someone is going to say next that this looks like a Jag :roll:

I don't geddit with the Japanese body conversions for the MX5; do they really find it that ugly. Bcause thats the only reason I can think of for someone to put this amount of work into this. I can see the reasons why someone will chop up a Honda Acty or Nissan Sunny, but a MX5?......

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
DAMN, THAT'S I WOULD AHVE GONE WITH A BLACK, THOSE WHITE WALLS WOULD HAVE LOOKED WAAAAAAAAY SICK!
Dark purple is such a traditional color for choptop Mercs for some reason that I think it's perfect.

The execution is interesting. I think it's a cool idea, and actually think it look pretty good, but there are some things that just plain don't look right on it too. It needs skirts, lakes pipes and Appleton spots, and if you're going to do the hardtop with that shape, then it needs to have the top wrapped in cloth to look like a Carson.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Amazing amount of work that went into that. Interesting in it's own sort of way...I'd hit it, but then I'd make little changes to take it to the next level. I'm amazed at the work that went into chopping the top. I'd love to have a 1" chopped top on my Miata.

It really sucks that it got damaged (last set of pics).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny you should mention the Micra/Jag type thing, I saw one coming towards me recently and have to admit... just for 2 or 3 seconds... I did think it was a Jag... but then I had a good laugh at myself as it got closer :lol:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I've noticed that it's not just Roadsters. You mention the Mitsuoka Viewt but there's also the Citroen vans and mini VW bus replicas built from Subaru Sambar and Honda Hobio micro vans. Remember the NSX-->F50? It's also very popular in the USA with people turning Pontiac Fieros into Lamborghini Diablo replicas and Lincolns done up to into Liberace-like Duesenberg or 540K replicas.

·
1,213 Posts
the main one over here in the UK is the ferrari 348 style kits for toyota mr2's

I think they look like crap and to do one with fitting/paint/badges/interior you are looking upwards of £15000 ( $25000 ) ... they look okay from a hundred meters but up close its an mr2

each to their own I guess but if you are spending that much at least do something original and with some integrity !

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I dont know why, but this Roadster is really bitch'n man, i would drive the hell outta this one!! Forget all the lame US wannabie kits, here is a true custom, a chop-top Roadster made to look like an old lead sled from te 50's hahha PIMP !!!!!!

http://clubroadster.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=784
http://clubroadster.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=785
http://clubroadster.net/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=786
Now that's thinking OUTSIDE the box! =D> I agree w/ Foo, gimme one in flat black, but gimme red-lip'd steelies and we'll talk.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I've noticed that it's not just Roadsters. You mention the Mitsuoka Viewt but there's also the Citroen vans and mini VW bus replicas built from Subaru Sambar and Honda Hobio micro vans. ...... and Lincolns done up to into Liberace-like Duesenberg or 540K replicas.
Yeah, but they're all lousy vehicles to start with, so no loss if someone takes a welding axe to them.

Still seems to me a waste of a perfectly good Roadster.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I think it looks good, but it is still a bondo bucket. Id rather start with an old hot rod to begin with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts