ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking in Drftroadster's build an saw that he was using Stance coilovers. To start with anything is better than KYB's but I have never heard of stance.

What are the pro's vs. con's of say stance and koni's?

Where can I get stance?

How much price difference is there between them and koni's?

What all adjustments can be made with them that cannot be made with the Koni's?

Comment?

·
Esteemed Member
4,380 Posts
As with all "what suspension should I get" threads, I ask, what do you want to do with your car. That is key to what type of suspension to get.

Dicker is pretty unhappy with his stance coils. He went from stock to stance without learning about his car enough to make such a huge jump. The stiffer suspension you get, the further, and further the limit of your will be. And it really depends on you if you can get to that limit and control it right.

Konis are sport springs, so they are a good application for both street and track. Stance is just hardcore. It rides pretty well --for a monotube coilover.

Think about how you want to drive before you decide on suspension, cuhhh!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
umm well I dont have konis or stance but I would suggest going over to roadsterdrift and ask rob or read the stance threads there. just about every aspect of the miata stance's has been discussed there.

I think sonique is right, your goals should drive your decision.

personally I love it stiff and hardcore

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
Its not that im unhappy with the stance.

they're great coilovers.

its not quite what i needed, but there is nothing wrong with them

if you track/drift your car, and beat the **** out of it, the stance are great.

my car has seen no track time (goddamnit) and the stance paired with the FM bushings is very stiff.

My opinion is

Street mosty/some autox/grip - get the flex
Alot of drift events or track stuff, and you're hard core - get the stance.
if you're broke - get the megans.

·
Registered
152 Posts
get the megans and not only are you still broke, you just wasted your money.

obviously just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
sonique- respectfullbeing a monotube has nothing to do with ride quality. A montube can be just as soft as a twin tube depending on spring rate and dampening. but other than that - your advice is good. Kind of hard to make recommendations without knowing what someoen wants out of thier car and what thier budget is.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Actually I can make a recommendation...
Dont buy them.

I've been running the Stance for about 3 months now and they have just not been engineered well for the miata. The hardware is fine, the quality is fine. But there is something off with the damping characteristics.

On rough streets, they are unbearable. If you smooth roads where you live, then they will work out. However even on track, I've noticed some wierd oscillations that tell me that for some reason the rebound/compression ratio's are just off. I would wager the setups that drifters use and pro's use have setups that are valved completely differently than the off-the-shelf miata set.

If this is for a street setup, with smooth roads they will work just fine. They are easy to adjust, the hardware is quality from what I can tell and they do look nice.

I will be selling mine shortly.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First, let me thank you guys who have answered my vague questions as best you can. I really appreciate it and any direction you can point me to find out more is just as appriciated

Ok, let me reword this question.

I intend to make this my weekend fun/track car (you know turbo/built motor/every suspension component replaced). I have been riding on blown KYB's and Eibach springs, couple that with the fact that the roads around good ole north alabama are paved like they are all dirt trails, I'm sure you can see that ride quality is not that imprortant. My main goal is handling, autoxing, and back country roads on sunny days. I don't drift (kinda a waste of tires in my opinion).

My main concern is if the stance coilovers have as much or more adjustments than the koni's?

Can I adjust rebound and compression seperately?

What is the price difference between the koni's (do the Stance's come with more "Bang for Your Buck"?)

Will a standard 6 in. spring fit on them so I can run my own spring rates?

DO SOME RESEARCH, STOP BEING LAZY, AND GET SOME KONI/GROUND CONTROLL
Since I can't ask suspension question in the suspension forum and a search does not yeild any results on stance coilovers, do you have any advice as to where I can search for info?

·
Registered
720 Posts
i have stance
if you set the dampening lower i think its bearable

i have front 6 rear 5 and it rides pretty well

i use to have 10 / 10 clicks front back and man... over bumps my back would hurt

·
Registered
248 Posts
Personally I think the ratio's are off. When you adjust, it adjusts rebound and compression, so you dont get independant adjustments.

This usually isnt' a problem if the compression / rebound valving is good to go from the the start but I dont think these are set right from the start. Either way the shocks are valved to match the springs at the 6 clicks position. Going softer and your suspension becomes slightly unbalanced.

I dunno maybe I'm picky or just flat out losing it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i remember reading the threads on rd.com
about how these are in testing phases
and how they were tested with the miata etc..
i dont thin kthey were tested well

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Stance comes 8/6 stock but includes a set of extra 9/7 springs in the box.

That guy turns101 in roadsterdrift.com has em and he likes it alot. I see the car ride and its very nice.

Oh you can purchase STANCE from me hehe

·
Registered
248 Posts
No they dont, they come with the springs you order with them. Mine had the 8/6 in the box. (At leats mine didn't) And for me 8/6 is stiff enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
here's where im confused about what you guys are saying. a good coilover setup, ie: Cusco, Zeal, Ohlins etc has shocks that are matched perfectly to the spring rate. thus this produces a very firm and controllable ride. Where as the cheaper Stance/Megan/D2/Ksport ones require that you have to turn the dampning all the way down in order to get a barely controllable ride. And keep in mind, you are only running with 8/6K spring rates!! Ive driven an S2K running 12/9K spring rates and its silky smooth. granted theyre the Tein RA's. Ive driven a FD with Zeal coilvers and it too was silky smooth on normal surfaces. and when i say silky smooth, im talking about as smooth as stock with a little bit of firmness when hitting bumps. the reason is the dampning/shocks are doing their job in controlling the small bumps and dips. these are the road imperfections that causes the car to seesaw back and forth and produces that small hopping motion you see with cars that are slammed/not lowered correctly. That should be what you are striving for, not how low can you go, or how stiff the suspension is. it should not be "stiff" but firm and controllable.
like that one dude said, if you are on a budget, go with koni and g/c.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts