ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may or may not know that black and tan 1.6 dashes are the biggest pain to find in good shape. I'm about done dealing with it and I want it wrapped in leather.

Any recommendations on where to get it done, or how to DIY?

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
How funny. I just spent the weekend doing this.

How to DIY: research research research. Learn all you can about wrapping anything in leather. There are many various forums that have this and that to say about it. There's a couple threads here, but really, you just need to figure it out on your own.

Leather: get the best stuff you can. Automotive upholstery grade. The thinner you get, the easier it'll be to wrap the dash. I got a whole hide off ebay for like $120 shipped. I have 2/3 of a hide left over to play with.

Glue: this is the THE THE!!!!!!!!!!!!! most important thing. Good glue will keep your leather stuck to the dash in hot summer temps. Bad glue will suck. You want stuff made for headliners and dashboards. I used Dap Weldwood HHR contact cement. Had to buy a gallon, but it's really good stuff. http://www.yourautotrim.com/noname37.html

Cracks: You'll need to fix them before any work is done. I used coroplast as a backing and plastic weld on both sides of my crack. Lots of care in getting it perfectly flat is suggested.

I'll have pix up on my blog in a week or two. I'm still working on the dash.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are the man. My question is, and curious to see, how the defrost vents were done.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
It was a huge fucking pain. That's all I did today. Took me about 2 hours. I was able to snap one side on after a ton of leather trimming and tiny plastic trimming. The other side was just having none of it, so I glued it.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
My problem were the little clips on the.... back? side. The side closest to the driver. Just couldn't get the fuckers clipped. The thickness of the leather was too much.

I finally got one clipped. You never heard such cheering.

They look decent. Good, even. Not perfect, but pretty good. Good enough anyway. I never wanna deal with those sharp little bastards again. ever.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I wonder if one could fab up a cover trim piece for the defroster area, without it looking out-of-place.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I just realized folks might not be talking about the tiny side window defroster covers... God, those things sucked.

I cut out all the spars on the windscreen defroster and wrapped the leather around. I'll be covering the void with metal mesh. Trying to decide on black or silver mesh. M2 did this on the 100...6? One with a light tan leather dash. So I will do the same.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
That is the part that looked tricky (initially). Though I can see how popping those vents in would suck. Did you have to do any stitch work, and how far down the dash/sides did you go? too many questions.... Interest is piqued!

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
No stitch work. And I didn't go very far down the sides at all. I did the same thing as Rik (typesticky) and cut the leather about 1/4" down from the top surface. Most of the side is hidden by the a-pillar anyways, and none is visible with the door closed. It looks quite good.

The only thing stopping me from posting pix is those mesh defroster screens. Once I finish that, the dash will be DONE and ready to be installed (probably next spring).

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
I'm not enjoying my leather dash project more and more with every passing day. I'm not enjoying it nearly every evening. Not enjoying the constant crouching and bending and sitting and standing and pushing tiny parts with my fingers till they're numb. No, sir.

Those little side defrosters are the devil. The stock plastic clips aren't worth ****. The glue I tried wasn't worth ****. But the bolts? They're holding. For now.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Why not opt for some mesh there too, just fab a whole, correctly fitting piece with stainless or black mesh to match the top vents?

You can do it man, you can!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've always had bad luck with pricing from mazda heaven. Id like to pick up a second NA6 dash I want to replicate the 2000se dash colors but in a NA dash. I dislike the NB dash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts