ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally gonna do my part to serve my country. Excited and nervous at the same time as it's my last week here. Theres a ton stuff I wish I could do...laguna seca, project g grand opening, kinod well I'm sure you'll still be there when I get back and I'm not really sure how many group buys I won't be able to get in on but hopefully I'll have some contact with you guys from time to time. Sorry to rant but just had to get it out...I figured this is the place to do it. As always I can't tell you specifics...what, where, why but maybe other service member can tell me what to expect or about some of there past experiences deployed, thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Thanks for your service and most of all stay safe!

·
Registered
221 Posts
have fun stay safe and make the most of it. and most of all stay safe!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Be safe, dont piss off the locals by being a "typical" american. Have fun and pick up some cheap trinkets from the shops so you can give your family something interesting for christmas. The work attitude was alot more laid back, but faster, than home base which made the time there easy. Can be alot of fun or miserable as hell, depends on half full/half empty attitude.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
It was nice meeting you the other day. Stay safe and thanks for your service.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
God speed my friend. I have yet to get my named called, but know a bunch of people that just left on deployments.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's going to suck, but you're going to have so many experiences unlike anything the average person can say they've had. You'll grow to love it and hate it. It's bizarre really.

The best thing about it (from a personal aspect) is the rather strong bond you share, not only with your battle buddies, but with veterans of wars past. You become a member of a fairly limited club in a way.

·
Supporting Member
375 Posts
hey man, from one service member to another. Good luck with your deployment. I've been to Al Udeid (hot as hell out there) and to Bagram. PM me about where your goin. Everyone ive worked with has been to pretty much all the deployed locations. I can get you a little more info on stuff.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Kuwait is boring and a pointless

Iraq - was fun but is gone now

Afghanistan....welll atleast there are less rules and decent food unless you get stuck on an outpost

I had the most fun in Iraq, but stuck in Kuwait and it blows. It's like they throw basic training rules out you becuase they get bored, and you wear a PT belt 24/7. haha but tis easy money i suppose.

it'll be fun especially if you like the people you are gonig with

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Deploying to Africa was probably the best deployment I ever had. Got to visit several different countries and stay in remote locations without having to cut my hair for months at a time. Also bought my MSM and every performance part for it while I was deployed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yea, if possible stay FAR FAR away from mermites! Lol Good way to clear up constipation though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Udied is a darn vacation.

I agree Kuwait was boring. I was spending almost 1/4 my paycheck on books because they lasted longer than a movie. and i couldnt afford a new movie every day. and udied cant be muchhotter.

but iraq. I still miss that place. Unfortunately I left for deployment the MOMENT i got out of training. i think i had a week... So when i came back to the states it kinda ruined me. I loved the deployment and garrison was just so gay and the rules were so uptight. it made life almost miserable.
To be honest I loved it and If i could I would go back in a heartbeat.

this is coming from an army combat arms all male unit point of view though.. we were lax as hell especially on a outpost. but then again they were attempting to let us blow off as much stress as possible. The airforce may be a different story especially if you are support. i know the army pogues and fobbits hated life. the likely hood you get some dickhard-hoorah type platoon leader that is compensating for being a paper-pusher increases and they can make the entire time miserable by micromanaging everything. putting people on 16hour shifts, Daily barracks/chu/tent checks, bullshit details and the like because there is nothing better to do. But you should know by now how your NCO's and officers are.

All i can say is dont kill yourself with worry. keep your head on a swivel. watch your ass and dont do stupid wannabehero **** and itll all turn out fine. if you go by numbers more soldiers die everymonth (by percent) here in the states than do over there
First time my base was attacked by rockets/mortars i freaked out. by the end i would hear the sirens go off and listen for them to hit guage the distance and I wouldnt even get out of bed.
heck there was one time at the end. these brand new airforce guys came in all e1-e3 support types just arrived. and we had a mortar attack. and they go skittering to the bunkers while we were sitting there in our PT shirt and shorts still eating and watching them.

Words of advice.
Somone you can trust (my dad for example) should have power of attorney so if ANY problems arise at home. they can take care of it without you being there. (say your car gets towed or somone farks with your bank account, dad can go down and fix the problem without having to worry about waking up at midnight to walk to the phone center and wait on hold for 30 minutes just for them to ask if there is a way they can call you back.)

Get a external HDD and load as much bullshit you can on it. tvshows/movies/adult type entertainment. youll thank yourself when you arent watching the same shakey videocamera copy of a movie that came out 6 months ago for the 27th time.

Dont waste too much money on phone cards. the lag can be as much as 5 seconds between something said and the other party hearing it.so youll be stepping all over eachother. If you have net in your sleeping area. get skype/googlevoice. youll have a phonenumber that family can call you if they miss your call. and you can call them without worrying about minutes. or waiting in line. or a 10 minute phone limit. plus actually getting facetime with loved ones is sooo worth it.

Dont buy a plug adapter here. i made that mistake. spent 15 bucks on this super fancy one. the haji shop sold them for 2 dollars on the base.

Departing soldiers always want to unload the stuff they won't need back home: 220 volt appliances, transformers, furniture, and comfort items. , I had a fridge, a fan, and a tv in my CHU that i bought for a grand total of 40 bucks for the days that I was on the main base. svideo cable from the laptop to the tv. set of stereo speakers. and an endless supply of cold water makes your offtime almost pleasurable.

buy an ipod. nano is awesome.

If you like hot sauce. sirachi doesnt need to be refrigerated. it tastes good and makes the crappy food edible.

to get stuff you want you can use either family or online grocery stores like netgrocer ship to APO/AFO addresses.

If you are on a base. dont ignore PT. they have amazing gyms with air conditioning. I know for my unit PT wasnt mandatory. and watch your portions at the dfac. the one on Marez had stuff like pies milkshakes. and the food was amazing. and they dont know portion control. they WILL overfill your plate. it was always a treat for the people not always on the base. but there were NUMEROUS fatbody soldiers that overate stuffed themselves with lobster and steak and whatever else they could. and never did pt... lets just say their military life when they got back was hell or very short.

bascially all in all. treat it as an adventure. not a prison sentance. volunteer for missions outside the wire if possible. otherwise life can be boring and you WILL get cabin fever. at least ouside things can change and you arent staring at the same wall every day.
yeah itll suck at times but youll be much happier if you just embrace it and make the most of it. I got to see things and do things the average american will never get to experience.

·
d[-_-]b 56-783
1,448 Posts
Kuwait is boring and a pointless
It's like they throw basic training rules out you becuase they get bored, and you wear a PT belt 24/7. haha but tis easy money i suppose.
this is why i dont want to go to kuwait.

also, wrx787, are u going with the 420th MCB by any chance? if u are, small freakin world. lol

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is why i dont want to go to kuwait.

also, wrx787, are u going with the 420th MCB by any chance? if u are, small freakin world. lol
Negative ghost ride...I'm leaving with the 2668 TC whichs means I'll be on the road quite often but who the hells knows for sure till I get there.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts