ClubRoadster.net banner

LED License Plate Lights?

15K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  DrewPinoy85 
#1 ·
My second license plate bulbs just blown (the first ones been blown for a while now and I tried to replace it with a LED but it never fit) so its time to get them both replaced asap. Ive tried two different ones off ebay because I figured if they didnt fit it was no problem, its only a couple of bucks. According to sylvania.com its a 89 size. So my question is, where have people bought their LED license plate bulbs from? I want a pure white look, none of that blue-rice crap. And I'm willing to spend a little extra on superbrightleds.com or vleds.com etc as long as they fit. Returning stuffs not all that much fun since I'm in Aus.

Cheers

#2 ·
i got my white led from autobarn. dont get them too bright or you'll just draw too much attention to your number plate. they are the same size as the front inidicators so make sure you get white not orange. you will have to get a pin and swap the wires and remove the metal shield from inside the original housing or the led wont fit.

#3 ·
Cheers for the reply. What do you mean by 'get a pin and swap the wires and remove the metal shield from inside the original housing'?

There a metal strip along the side of the housing then two pieces at the bottom are the terminals

#4 ·
Inside the housing of the light there is a thin metal reflector. It'll be behind the triangle plastic housing that the light clips on. The factory wiring is reversed around so the led wont work, just get a pin and pull the wires out and swap them around. If you do this you can use the LEDs used for indicators and not special globes which I couldn't find off the shelf.

#9 ·
This is where I got mine from, they even have a car section so you can check to see what you need

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/1157.htm

Also, I had to reverse the wires in the housing for the rear license plate bulb socket. So i had to cut the wires and cross them. You have A and B. I cut them and then connected the A from the trunk to the B part of the housing and the B from the car to the A part of the housing. This enabled the LED bulb to light up.

I also used the above link to get the dash board lights and a few others.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I think I have my order on record and I know mine fit the sockets fine. Let me see what I got.

2 | 921-x12: Wedge Base LED bulb | $ 3.95 |
921-R12: Red
------------------------------------------------------------
4 | WLED-xHP5: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 5.95 |
WLED-BHP5: Blue
4 | WLED-xHP6-AC: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb | $ 4.95 |
WLED-CWHP6-AC: Cool White
4 | 67-x15: 15-LED BA15S bulb | $ 6.95 |
67-W15: Cool White

First two were third brake lights, the second and third were for gauge cluster set ups after sanding down the green, the last one is the license plate lights.

So these should be it?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/67.htm

If not, maybe your bulb housings are different? I'll try and take a pick of my bulbs later.

#12 ·
4 | 67-x15: 15-LED BA15S bulb | $ 6.95 |
67-W15: Cool White

First two were third brake lights, the second and third were for gauge cluster set ups after sanding down the green, the last one is the license plate lights.

So these should be it?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/specs/67.htm

If not, maybe your bulb housings are different? I'll try and take a pick of my bulbs later.
Cheers mate, thats really helpful! Did you find the 15 leds were too bight at all? I think 9 should suffice

#16 ·
can anyone else shed anymore light on this?! o_O

#18 ·
Well I ended up getting up some 1156 leds that somehow fit in the housing. I tried other 1156s I had lying around with no luck so I'm not sure why these were different. But they are and they work so I can't compain. Make sure they arent too long as theres not thaaat much room for them. And make sure there are side-firing leds/smds. And as its been said many times before, cut the red and black wire and swap them (red now connects to black and black to red)

#20 ·
why is it that the wires have to be swapped?! How comes it doesn't work once plugged in like a regular 89 bulb?

#30 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.