ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had nothing else better to do today, so i took my cluster out, and replaced the wedge bulbs with some LED ones that i got from my old work :twisted: .the main part was getting rid of that yellowish tint on the original bulbs. sorry for the pics, only have camera phone

picture of replacement LED bulbs

it doesnt look even in this pic, cause i was still testing (leds have polarity) cause if they didnt work one way, they'd just have to be flipped. (i had to pull and plug in my cluster like 8 times for each bulb to check if they were on.) but other than that. im pretty happy with the results

cheers

·
Registered
262 Posts
so with LED's if you adjust the brightness down, do they just go off?

I'm digging the look, btw. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
yeah, you would think that LED's would be all or nothing and would drop off under a certain voltage point.

Personally, I don't think the gauge cluster gets bright enough on the miata. What you did there is a nice fix for that. Do you have any info on the replacement LED's you used?

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the grey ones that i posted up top ^ they're brighter, but more concentrated on one spot.

but these should be better in the cluster, because the way it shoots the light, actually makes it flood more to evenly disperse behind the cluster. and the way its squared off shoots a wider beam

right now i'm running two of these (which my friend gave me) and the rest are the ones pictured earlier. so if you want to do it, get a full set of these, it'll make everything more even
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-x-194-White-LED-Wedge-Inverted-Side-Light-Bulbs-12V_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ009QQitemZ190206699317QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
28 Posts
how many is needed for a full set, does it work for nb's too?
i did this method before i used reverse electric overlays, but iirc, my NB took four 194 bulbs. you don't need to ebay them, most pepboys, kragen, etc. stock them in the ricer sections. the reason i ended up with the overlays was that if you look closely at those gauge pictures, you will see that there are hotspots and the twelve o'clock positions of the gauges are way too dark. i wanted blue for mines and the darkness really stood out. i dunno, maybe other colors will work better, but for the blue led's, the 3-4 rpm and 60-80 mph markers were hardly visible at night with the top down in the city. i posted pics of my overlays in another post in this section, but it's a crappy cellphone pic. if i remember (still a bit hung over from st. patty's day), i'll bring my digi camera along tonight. you'll see how much better they are and the money i wasted on testing out those bulbs (four at a time) and other supposedly brighter/wider dispersion ones (four more at a time), i could've just bought the overlays in the first place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's a nicer picture of my overlays. 1000 times better than any LED's that i've tried out. for reference, my garmin gps is in night mode at 40%, so it isn't too bright as some may think. you can switch the blue to green if you like and also you can adjust the intensity as they are at only 50% in this picture. so as you can see, absolutely no hot and dark spots.

off the subject, check out the nice HID's lighting up the yard. no glare above the sharp cutoffs as some claim may happen when retro fitting HID's in the factory headlamp housing.

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
2,299 Posts
Welp, that does it.... I know what I'm doing this weekend...

XCLR8TN, could you snap a pic of your turn signal arrows lit at night?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
oh ****! As much as I am in LOVE with the stock red-orange illumination (Ive mostly driven pontiacs so Ive grown fond of the red-orange color) that blue is fucking` PRETTY!

·
Supporting Member
2,299 Posts
I just remembered that I have some official Mazda classic red touch up paint... I may just paint the areas I want red instead of using a red bulb that would color the entire gauge. I touched up this image a couple different ways as an example, which is better?:

I am leaning towards the 1st one myself...seems less cluttered.

Theoretically, it would all still be white during the day. I would also paint the needles red to match. Is the red in the rev-limit area on the tach removable like the green? I'd want it all one color red to really pull it off.

Pics to follow tonite ;)

1 - 20 of 216 Posts