ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-or- You'll never win drag racing a Porsche Carerra 4 in an NA Miata.

Today was a fun-filled day, wherein I called in to work, and went to PIR instead. I took the Miata on what was left of the Spec Miata pads, and blew WAAAAAY too much money today playing at the track, etc. I got to the track at 7am, and left at 9pm, only times i left were for lunch and to switch to the S2000 for drag racing after the track day ended.

Anyhow, the situation that learned me a lesson.

This is what PIR looks like for those who haven't seen it.
http://www.globaleventsgrouppdx.com/pdxalms_cr/images/track.gif

So i'm bombing around the track in the Miata. Coming down the front straight, I come up behind a blue Carerra 4 droptop. I've been following him a while. He gives the waveby, as we enter our way down the straight... I guess he's not a car guy, because he didn't know Miatas have like... four horsepower. He didn't lift far enough. As we cross the start/finish line, I finally get past him, I'm at the top of 4th gear, I get in front of him and realize, I'm doing over 100 mph, I don't have time to get down into 2nd gear to make the Festival Curves, an evil chicane that drops you to like 30mph, and is a 90* turn on track.

SHIIIIIT!

I get the car aimed the right direction... but i'm sliding sideways. I recover, and basically get into what's best described by the lead flagger as a tankslapper (to borrow a motorcycle term). To get on line to make the turn, I had to essentially cut off the Porsche, and now I have no clue where he is, so I just do the last thing I want to do... get out of it, don't try and save it, and go for my first offcourse excursion of the day. Of course, I pulled in to refasten the latches on my hardtop which popped on my trip over the curbing and on my way out, I had a chat with the flag guy... and it was an interesting exchange.

"What happened?"
"The Porsche made me drag race him, and I couldn't get it whoa'd down in time."
"Made you?"
"Eh, okay... fair enough."
So at that point he told me the line in my title above, and it somehow just resonated with me.

I guess any track day you don't take home at least one lesson was a waste of money, huh? I made it through the rest of the day relatively uneventfully, except for one instance where I decided that if I stayed the course, I'd spin into the wall in 12. I opted to puss out, straighten out, lift, and stop myself in the grass. Not my proudest moments, to be sure... but at least the car is still intact. :)

...anyhow, thought i'd share... I'm running on 3h sleep, a day in the sun that was over 90 degrees, and over 12h at the track... I'm dead tired but kinda wired... i should sleep, but decided to type here instead. :)

·
2,708 Posts
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me at Buttonwillow CW#13. Was on the tail of a Civic Si coming on to the straight, waiting for him to pull aside and the waveby, FINALLY, he waves me by but barely backs off. I pass him up and realize I'm on the second brake marker going 90+mph. I decided to play it safe and coast off into the dirt. Afterwards, the flagman told me the exact same thing he told you. Words of Wisdom. Don't let the adreneline and ego get to you!

Did you tow the miata with your S2K? :p

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Heh, I called in to work today too, although in my case it was cause I was hung over. Sounds like a fun day though. Did the Guys from RRev Motorsports have either of their DSMs out for the drag racing?

·
Registered
465 Posts
sounds like a fun and interesting day you had. im hoping to get down to that track sometime later this year, hopefully before winter but id like to get some more mods done before then. you'll have to show me the ropes sometime.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drove the Miata there and home. Another motivating factor for no hero antics. ;)

I think I saw one of them, but I was tired, and the track prep was too good for me and I couldn't get out of the hole for ****... so I took off early and only ran about 8 runs before I left. Wasn't really watching the event.

3uno5, I'd be happy to show you some and get you involved with the people who can show you more than I can, the only thing I'd say is don't bother doing more mods before you go. While you're learning, the last thing you want is a car that'll bite you in the ass. Good tires, great brakes, and go is what I'd reccomend. Don't be concerned about adding more power... yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
did you talk to mr porsche about what giving you the point by means for his right foot?

·
Registered
369 Posts
When giving a point by its my understanding that the driver doing so is yeilding to you, aka slowing down a little bit.

One of the first things I learned when I started doing track days is always expect the other drivers to do the worst thing possible, and drive as such.

·
Registered
245 Posts
heh. When I did track days I used to hate that kinda thing. Sucked right up on someone through the good stuff, get on the straight and they point and BLAM, my ~120hp gets left in the dust by some big fast car with a guy pointing out the window for me to pass him. haha. That is the kinda thing that got me familiar with the hot pit area. :) go in, wait for a gap to build, go back out. A few times (not always of course) they would see that you did that and were back on their butt a few laps later and then actually let me by the next time. heh.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That bimmer pic is exactly why I don't take the S2k out. I only race cars I can afford to lose. That's a scary shot!

...and yeah, hotpitting might have been the win.

·
Registered
71 Posts
im confused. . .how did the beamer go from the inside line to being on the inside wall by himself??? i would expect that he would try to take the turn at a slower more inside line and maybe understeer into someone going to the outside wall. nice pics btw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts