ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving to work this morning on a country road. I see a lifted truck coming in the other direction was it was just MONSTROUS! I was driving a SUV and I swear the bottom of the body was barely below the roofline of the SUV. Probably lifted about 6 feet up. So, why are trucks lifted this high street legal but cars like the Ariel Atom are not? How do they pass inspection every year? Trucks this high just seem way too dangerous to drive.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
At least in VA, there is a maximum height for the bottom of the front and rear bumpers. However, I have seen a few get around this with taller bumpers.

I suppose people like to drive monster trucks like that because it makes them feel like a badass. Sort of like the guy on the motorcycle thats so loud it makes my ears bleed because he is just blipping the throttle right next to me. Not because he needs to... :roll:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I saw today, no modifications to the bumpers. All you see is huge tires and suspension from the ground to about 6 feet up. The guy has to be as tall as Yao Ming or something to get into that thing or there is a drop down ladder. I'd think I would look more badass in an Atom or an Elise because I won't look like an ass trying to climb up the side of the truck trying to get in. Now, if there was some hydraulics to lower the truck so that I can get in and then raises back up, now that'll be badass.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
There's a max bumper height in every state. Some follow it, some don't. My truck is lifted 6" w/ 35's and I think it's high enough, I might still lower it a tiny bit and switch to 33's because I like to push it's limits with a higher center of gravity. C'mon down to FL and you can't look in either direction without seeing at least 5 lifted trucks between 6-10", most are very slow, but some may put you in your place. :shock:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,623 Posts
C'mon down to FL and you can't look in either direction without seeing at least 5 lifted trucks between 6-10", most are very slow, but some may put you in your place. :shock:
Heck, if you want to get humbled, try drag racing (on a real strip, of course) one of those fancy Ford SVT Lightning pickups. Good Lord...I got absolutely dusted, and he didn't even look like he had even gone past half throttle #-o

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
oh i thought it was so they can blind you when they are behind you and then they can run over you when they dont pay attention and stop fast enough....

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Heck, if you want to get humbled, try drag racing (on a real strip, of course) one of those fancy Ford SVT Lightning pickups. Good Lord...I got absolutely dusted, and he didn't even look like he had even gone past half throttle #-o
Haha, funny you should say that. My Uncle used to have one that did mid-12's barely modified and I got to drive it a few times :mrgreen: Let's just say it liked to eat the tires =D> I was gonna buy it from him, but I didn't have $15K to fork over. I still love my Chevy though, hopefully I'll get my 4.11 gears and posi put in sometime next week :mrgreen:

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
oh i thought it was so they can blind you when they are behind you and then they can run over you when they dont pay attention and stop fast enough....
I tend to stay back a bit, unless they cut me off and I might even use the spots :twisted: . I know when I'm in my Miata I don't like them right on my ass, so I give those that are vertically challenged a bit of leeway when I'm driving the truck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
As said above, most states have restrictions on how high trucks can go. In CA, they measure from the frame to the ground.

I wish cops would actually enforce the, for some reason lifted trucks, just like Harleys, do not get busted for illegal modifications.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
Officer: Get your tail-light fixed. That's your last warning.

Sports Car Owner: What's wrong with my tail-lights?

[Officer smashes the tail-light with a 4X4]

lol

Attachments

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
trucks are for bros, but jokes on them @ 10 miles a gallon or less
I'm not trying to start an argument, but I've calculated mine to around 15-18 depending on how hard I am on the truck. The 35's def killed my excelleration, but the gears will solve that. Highway, I was actually down to about 12 because the truck would lug real bad going about 80-85. I do have the more efficient Vortec heads though and a better tune than most out there for my 350 V8. I seem to get the same milage for fuel ups between the car and the truck though, but saving me about $30 per fill up :roll: It just means I get more Roadster seat time :mrgreen:

·
3,857 Posts
They are not legal, period!
But they getting away with it most of the times, in the same way that the ricers used to...

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
There is a group of kids in my hometown with modified trucks that all hang out at this same coffee place every day. They have these old beat ass trucks that are lifted and have loud obnoxious exhausts. They try to talk **** to everyone that comes there way. There only comeback is "Well Il just run you over." Interesting enough just this weekend I met up with a couple of my friends w/ quite a few boosted cars ranging from my miata, an rsx, a 240sx, and my friends 92 civic making 256 whp and 220 ft/lb. There were these group of kids and one had a ford f350 lifted, blaring rap on his system, and sitting there reving his engine every 30 seconds. His friend looks over at my buddy with the civic and says "Kinda sounds like a honda huh" Acting all tough guy because his wanna be gangster buddy's truck is loud. I feel bad for these people who do this crap to there trucks and think they are the ****. Just because your truck has an intake, "super dope chips", and exhaust doesnt mean its fast. There are a few fast trucks out there I will admit it. For the most part a truck is only meant to do a few things: they move things thats cannot fit into a car, guzzle down gas, handle terribly, get really bad crash test ratings, and go slow. Trying to have a conversation with these people their about trucks is near impossible as well they always have some some dumbass reply for everything you say. I dont know maybe I have had too many bad run-ins with trucks. Before anyone gets mad I am not generalizing people with trucks. I am just speaking from my run-ins with them. I dont care what people do to them just as long as they relize that it is a still a truck no matter what. Unless someone buys that new TRD truck that that pulls 0.99 G's on the skid pad. Thats a whole other story :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
my (stupid) friend has a surburban with a 16in lift on it. he bought it that way. now everytime anyone starts a conversation about cars he has to mention how bad ass his suv is. it just makes me mad because he thinks hes something special for buying that piece of ****, which didnt cost that much to start off with. but the truth is that he doesnt know jack **** about lifted trucks or even cars in general. too bad it gets about 7mpg and he doesnt even drive it off road because hes a puss and because the thing will flip if he turns it going more then 15mph. but yeah i have to put up with his crap almost every week. o and its true about how these people with lifted trucks will always comeback and say "ill just run you over." dont get me wrong i really like pre-runer type trucks. but these are purpose built for a reason. trucks lifted past a couple of inches just look retarded. i gues lifted trucks are just too badass for me :roll:

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
=P~

=P~

My piece :mrgreen:

I guess Super Trucks are out of the equation? I'm going more Baja style with mine, function over form, but I can still flat out roast the rear 35's w/ the 3.42 gearing now and still handles pretty damn well for being ~8" higher off the ground. I have the corner wear to prove it. =D>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts