ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
What oil weight are you using? There's a thread or two on here that goes in depth on the subject. It's most likely your Hydraulic lifters so the oil should help it. If you have a very high milage car... It may just be there due to the age and wear on the lifters/valves.

·
Registered
945 Posts
it's normal. if you REALLy want to fix it you can pull the lifters out then pull them apart and clean/rebuild them.. it's a very long process.
We used to shave the edges down on the lifters in our SRT-4's. The noise sounded like a diesel truck. It was a simple job for that motor. Not sure if that applies to the miata though.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Get rid of the 20-50 oil and go back to a good 5-30 or 10-40..seafoam again..it might take a few short oil change intervals before they get clean enough to stop making noise.

the clearances on these things in that area are pretty tight so that thicker oil has a tough time getting in there..making the problem worse..go back to the 5-30 or a 0-30

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get rid of the 20-50 oil and go back to a good 5-30 or 10-40..seafoam again..it might take a few short oil change intervals before they get clean enough to stop making noise.

the clearances on these things in that area are pretty tight so that thicker oil has a tough time getting in there..making the problem worse..go back to the 5-30 or a 0-30
I agree. I wouldn't take apart the head just yet..
My car does this sometimes on cold days on startup, the oil is cold and thick and can't get in the HLA's thus causing the ticking. You said you put the thickest oil they had, which might be the case why its ticking, as stated before. Try Castrol GTX High Mileage maybe? But lower weight: 5-30ish...
Good luck!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Are you adding the Seafoam to the oil mixture? If so, how much? I've always used it through the TB and poured a bit in the gas tank. I heard not to use it n our motors though. I'll do some searching for myself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
My 95 with 185,000 does this a bit as well. It was bad after it sat for a month between start ups and cold outside. Normally it would only do it when low on oil as it is burning oil so a regular top up fixed the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts