ClubRoadster.net banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Re: Light Weight Billet Pulleys

really those look nice, i might be tempted to get a set of those too

Time for facts.

The lack of no harmonic dampener has been proven to be a problem on high power or high RPM engines for years. The Miata engine is no different. However, that being said, we're not M.net so I'm going to be blunt about my opinion on it.

Now for the opinion :D:
The lack of one isn't an issue as long as you're not boosting a lot; not sure what the range of "a lot" would be, but you guys can make your own assumptions on that; or not running higher than problem the stock rev range (i.e. +7200rpm). I personally would love a set (but I'm poor...so maybe at a later date) since I don't plan to top 6500rpm in my driving (lots of reasons, don't ask) and don't plan to be putting down a lot more than 150-170rwhp, I don't for-see this to be a problem.

And yes, the billet oil pump gears Bill offers would be a great way to insure that your old oil pump doesn't give in too soon....if ever.

No, imagine your crank trying to wobble as it turns, think of everything that is connected to it receiving that frequency and if it causes anything connected to wobble, then anything they impact upon and so forth.

UDP are find, just think about it. most of our cars are 10+ years old, the rubber that was in the pulley is now all harden and/or falling out, so they are "dampening" anything at all.

Gonna have to disagree with that.
Do you really think Mazda put cheap grade rubber into the harmonic dampener knowing that it would have to last 10-15-20yrs? Yeah, me neither. I'll take a look at my dampener/pulley tomorrow and see if its hardened or falling out. Chances are quite slim that its not.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.