ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started when I got a ride with my brother at SCCA National Tours in San Diego when I was 12. I was hooked on motor-sports from that point on. While learning to drive my dad had a 93 Miata which I learned how to drive stick in with my permit. When I was 16 I found myself a cherry S13 hatchback the lady up the street owned, complete with a 5spd!

After a few years of driving that, I finished high-school and landed a decent job and purchased myself a BMW Z3.

I quickly signed myself up for BMWCCA autocross and went down the rabbit hole.

I modified the Z3 with just about every n/a bolt on and suspension part I could find. The little 2.8L managed to dyno at 200WHP! This is nearing 95 M3 territory.

College tuition and medical issues had cropped up so I decided to let go of the BMW and hunt for something more practical while I got everything sorted out.

I was on the search for another Miata or 240sx and I spent months searching for the right one. One day I decided to check auto-trader and found the one. I managed to find a 1992 which was owned by the original owner. The car only had 84,500 miles the day I picked it up.

I was also lucky the owner had taken the car from his wife and planned on turning it into an autocross toy. The result was a car with koni adjustable, FM springs, eibach sways, clutch, 1.8 front brakes, hard dog rollbar, bipes acu, borla exhaust and a gigantic stack of maintenance papers.

Now that I had become more stable, I decided to start playing at the autocross again. Going back to the Miata made me learn my basics again, with no aids to lean on.

Now one year later the only modifications I had done to the car were a fresh set of RT-615k's, some seats and a harness.

Then at the last autocross I was instructing with the BMWCCA and ThePass was attending with his turbo Miata. I was able to drive his car in the morning and was quickly hooked on the idea of boosting the Miata. I had already purchased a Brain built MS2 from gospeed81 and T25, but planned on waiting a bit longer.

The Monday following the autocross I made a call the BEGi and ordered a BEGi-S kit with the T25 I purchased. The past weekend I installed my MS2, LC-1, VTPS and boost gauge in preparation! I have NEVER installed a stand alone or tuned a car before, the only knowledge I had was the months of reading on the forums. The short version of the story is it payed off and I have had the car running great all week!

I had originally planned on placing the gauges under my radio but found the radio surround did not have enough room. I had seen some folks place their gauges in the A/C vents and thought why not. After installing them I definitely think it is a great spot for em!

At this point I am now waiting for BEGi to ship my kit and then the next bit of fun begins! :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ohh I will be following this closely. I actually quite like your old z3 as well. Keep the pics and story rolling!
Thansk! I sure do miss the old Z3 a lot of the time, I could get the wheels spinning on a hard shift into 3rd! Here is an old video from my first season when I started autocrossing.

The magnaflow exhaust I had on it sure sounded good too.

And on the flip side 4 years later, here I am instructing with the BMWCCA now.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This week I went to play with my LC-1 settings so I could add a delay to the output to my gauge. With firmware 1.10a the readings are almost too much and I cannot see what is going on. In the process my wideband starting "sticking" at afrs and not responding at all, even stranger the LED was not giving me an error code. A few hours of research later I found out Innovate has a "beta" 1.2A firmware for the LC-1 which fixes the false error. Last night I set up the new firmware and did a free air calibration...the result was a far more stable wide band and a smooth idle for once!

nice cars bruh!
Thanks

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
They are side mount brackets bolted to stock sliders. That is the nature of the beast with any seat that isn't bolted to the floor or that does not have a back seat brace.
Ah I didn't realize you had them on the stock sliders n such. Post more updates and pics!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah I didn't realize you had them on the stock sliders n such. Post more updates and pics!
Still waiting on the kit from BEGi, however I may have some eBay inter-cooler pictures soon if I get impulsive. Here is an old picture, I forgot I had rid myself of the stock steering wheel back in December.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't even have my turbo kit yet and I am prepping for more boost already. I managed to find some Supra injectors on craigslist today for a decent price. I'll send these out to be flowed and cleaned before I throw them in. These are 305cc and should support 10psi without a problem.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Found an inexpensive eBay intercooler kit. Decided to run 2" piping all way round for my power goals and to give me less of a headache trying to route the piping.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another update, now the parts are really starting to roll in. My turbo and compressor inlet tube should be here next week. My neighbor was generous enough to lend me her garage for a few weeks to work on my car. Tomorrow it'll go on jack stands and I'm going to start tearing it down. Next weekend ThePass will be over and hopefully the surgery will be complete and it'll be boosting all weekend long.

BEGi Turbo Manifold

eBay RFL BOV, someone on VWVortex sent me a junk bosch BPV.

Sent some supra injectors out to injector rehab, highly recommend these guys. They all flow with only a 1.2% variance after service!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IT'S DONE! Videos are going to follow shortly, currently running waste gate at 7psi and tapering down to 4psi.
Almost hurt to cut the freshly powder coated pipes.

These bolts are a B7%$h.

ThePass got creative and climbed on the engine.

Inter-cooler bracket, ThePass did a lot of the fabrication with the inter-cooler pipes as well.

Z1 Motorsports 90 silicon elbows, $15 shipped. These made the piping easier.

Cold side.

IAT sensor bung from BEGi, this clears the hood surprisingly.

Finished product!

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
I feel your pain phillyb. . . . i was hoping to see at least one lincoln log

But the thread more than makes up for it! Very nice previous ride as well as nice score on the Miata!

1 - 20 of 478 Posts