ClubRoadster.net banner

441 - 460 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
Sweet vid. Really one of my fave cars on here.
I concur ^
:icon_cheers:

Awesome video! Your car has inspired my build so much. And I just realized that we should do like an ebony and ivory photo shoot when we are both at the track next lol. Or black ninja vs. white ninja, good vs evil.
I have two twins on here now! That splitter is serious business.

Find another black Miata to join in the fun. Sean can be the cream filling. :blaugh:
:littlepony:

Cream filling in a Miata. San Diego boys do it right.
:fab:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Driving Button At Autoclub Speedway

Thanks to Doward I had a fun opportunity to co-drive Button, his SuperMiata, this weekend. Doward just finished putting the car together this week and said it needed a good shake down, twist my arm!

Rather than take a bunch of photos at the event, I decided to start doing more video updates to the build thread. They are a lot more fun for me to create and there is more opportunity to share the fun. Hope you guys enjoy!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #445 (Edited)
Tough break at the end. Video idea seems cool. Look forward to seeing more.
: 3gears: Will be working on another one this weekend.

All of the good photos of my car are with Sean driving, since he ran with the other SPM drivers in Green group. We have a superstar volunteer SPM photog whose son drives in the series. So I'll post one of him in his thread driving my car. :p

Your car looks really good in the photos. I've also realized with your air dam you are the first SPM with active aero.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #446 (Edited)
Summer 2017 ---> MRLS 2017 Update

It feels like every Summer my car gets pushed to the side for other fun activities. This year, it seemed like I blinked and Summer was over and I made zero updates! While I skip out on track days during the summer I've been keeping myself sharp with autocross events. One event I got over 50 laps!

Adding to the distraction was a new two wheeled purchase. I've dreamed of owning a Triumph since I was a kid and this year I was finally able to make that a reality.

For this year's MRLS I decided to make a big change and not bring the car up with all of the aero, well most it at least. I could not stand the idea of the wheels sticking out causing drag so we whipped up some air deflectors and lip extension. I drew a lot of inspiration from the factory Chevy and Porsche aero we are starting to see.

Other than the air deflectors, prep on my car was very light this year. I wanted to be able to enjoy the event and focus on giving rides to as many people as possible. An added bonus of no splitter was much less work getting the car on and off the trailer.

This was my fourth consecutive year attending Miatas at MRLS...and it has not gotten old. It's a blast flowing through the track curb to curb and getting a chance to meet everyone at the Good-Win Racing booth.

Trackside the car felt dialed in from word go and a blast to drive. The air deflectors did almost too good of a job and I found I had to crank the spoiler to max angle to get the right balance. Expect the air deflectors to find their way into the Singular catalog in the near future.

Trying to uphold my end of the deal, Doward finally got behind the wheel of my car and had some fun apex hunting with GWR customers riding shotgun. More car swapping to follow at Chuckwalla in November. :littlepony:

Since I started going to Miatas at MRLS one of my goals has been to have Tom Matano sign the dash in my car, yet, I've missed him 3 years in a row! Thankfully my wife was able to spot him in the pits and he happily climbed in to sign it. If I couldn't sell the car before, it would be impossible now.

At the Saturday banquet I was also able to meet Kenichi from Ken Auto and I invited him to come for a ride along since he did not have a car. It was a real treat to connect with a tuner from the other side of the world and share some of the on track fun with him. Next year he is planning on bringing a car from Japan!

I still have lots of video to edit and upload for another post, so for now I'll end this update with one last photo.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
To the first poor soul who hopped in next to me on Sunday, I am sorry. :p

"Hey how are you today?" Me
"Great, thanks for the ride. We really appreciate you guys doing this" Joe
"Have you been in this car before?"
"No...?"
"Cool. Neither have I!"
SKRRRRRRRR

The next person got a "I hear this car is supercharged, lets go see!"

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Congrats on another year at MRLS.

Can you remind me of your tranny/diff setup? I'm starting to question the 4.3 and 5 speed with the current power levels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
To the first poor soul who hopped in next to me on Sunday, I am sorry. :p

"Hey how are you today?" Me
"Great, thanks for the ride. We really appreciate you guys doing this" Joe
"Have you been in this car before?"
"No...?"
"Cool. Neither have I!"
SKRRRRRRRR

The next person got a "I hear this car is supercharged, lets go see!"
Please tell me you got this on your GoPro.

"Word is this car will do the corkscrew flat in 4th.." ;)
Try flat in 5th brah.

Congrats on another year at MRLS.

Can you remind me of your tranny/diff setup? I'm starting to question the 4.3 and 5 speed with the current power levels.

I am running a 6 speed with a 4.10 diff, lots of shifting but it keeps the car in the sweet spot on track.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
So autox, you're hitting 3rd often I imagine.

Yes, often the car is driven in 3rd for autocross. I usually end up in 4th at a few points too with rare drops to 2nd.

I'd imagine. I have a 6 speed with a 4.3 rear end and i'm normally buried in 4th on the same course.... :fp:
You have enough power I think a 3.9 would work well. Unless I really bump the power on mine the 4.1 is staying.

-------

Speaking of power, planning on installing a Skunk2 manifold and throttle body before my yearly trek to Chuckwalla. I sent off my Skunk2 throttle body to Curly for some loving (aka fixing), just a matter of getting on the lift.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Yes, often the car is driven in 3rd for autocross. I usually end up in 4th at a few points too with rare drops to 2nd.

You have enough power I think a 3.9 would work well. Unless I really bump the power on mine the 4.1 is staying.

-------

Speaking of power, planning on installing a Skunk2 manifold and throttle body before my yearly trek to Chuckwalla. I sent off my Skunk2 throttle body to Curly for some loving (aka fixing), just a matter of getting on the lift.

Oh nice, waiting to hear feedback.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Never did hear from you, did it show up safely?

Can't wait to see how it does, Oregonmon is next!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
StopTech BBK Install

Most of this project have been a huge success but I've never been happy with the brakes over the last two years. I've tried different pad compounds, rotor sizes, calipers, etc without getting it quite right. After having a chat with Brad at StopTech I decided to take the plunge and give their system a shot.

Up front I am using the standard forged ST42 with optional stainless steel piston noses. The piston nose upgrade provides an additional thermal barrier between the pad and caliper. To minimize variables I stuck with the PFC 11 pad front and rear. An interesting note on rotor weights is the StopTech 11" rotor only weighs .05 lbs less than the standard (cheap AF) Wilwood 11.75 rotor it replaced.

On the back, all new 1.8 calipers and 1.8 slotted StopTech rotors were installed. This replaced my old 1.6 calipers with M-tuned brackets over sport rotors. In the engine bay I also removed my Wilwood 1" master and Wilwood proportioning valve for a 7/8 master and factory 1.8 proportioning valve. Both of these items may be reinstalled but I wanted to try the StopTech kit as intended before making more changes.

According to StopTech, one of the major benefits of their kit is there is no need for additional parts such as an adjustable proportioning valve or upgraded master cylinder. I am going to put them to the test co-driving the car at autocross this weekend to get some initial impressions. Assuming all things are good the car is going to see 2 full days at Chuckwalla and be co-driving there with my wife.

I also made a short video covering the install. This is not a step by step but provides a few notes on installation that others might find useful.

441 - 460 of 478 Posts