ClubRoadster.net banner

461 - 478 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Man, I'm really eyeing this setup. V8R is coming out with a 4 wheel kit this month, overkill for me but I love that its a complete setup.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I am running the V8R 4 wheel Stoptech kit. Superb kit but keep in mind, that's a race only rear setup with zero parking brake option. The standard Stoptech kit is a better dual-duty option.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I am running the V8R 4 wheel Stoptech kit. Superb kit but keep in mind, that's a race only rear setup with zero parking brake option. The standard Stoptech kit is a better dual-duty option.
Right right, duly noted. So you get Stoptech sport rear rotors, and new or reman. Sport calipers? Coming from 1.6 stuff.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yep. You can choose either standard 1.8 size or Sport size for the rear, and there are two versions of the front kit (different piston sizes) to suit whichever rear you go with. Sean for example is using the 1.8 non-sport size of the 4-wheel kit, one of the benefits there is wider pad selection for those rear calipers.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Those brakes look fantastic, nice choice Sean! :icon_cheers: The kit looks solid, look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Super Lap Battle 2017!

Yep. You can choose either standard 1.8 size or Sport size for the rear, and there are two versions of the front kit (different piston sizes) to suit whichever rear you go with. Sean for example is using the 1.8 non-sport size of the 4-wheel kit, one of the benefits there is wider pad selection for those rear calipers.
Like Ryan said I'd stick with the 1.8 caliper in the rear for pad choice. Every time a buddy asks me for a pad recommendation, and he has sport calipers, I feel bad because there is not much out there.

Love this build. Some great parts on here.
:icon_cheers:

CHUCKWALLASTRAVAGANZA!!!
This is for the next post...catching up to SLB still. :)

Those brakes look fantastic, nice choice Sean! :icon_cheers: The kit looks solid, look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
There is still quite a bit more testing to be done but I'm positive about my experience so far.

-------

Super Lap Battle 2017 approached at breakneck pace between SEMA and Miatas at MRLS this year. The original plan had been to co-drive the GWR ND but with too little time to iron out kinks from major upgrades the car was unable to make it at the last minute. Rather than let registration go to waste, I had less than 24 hours to prepare for plan B - my car. With the help of my crew chief Gary, I was able to get the trailer and truck packed in record time. As the sun set we got ready to get on the road after a whirlwind day.

Taxi had borrowed my wing so I went to the track in full street trim but pitting at the track with the 949 Racing / SuperMiata crew was a blast. They absolutely killed it with Bullet in URWD and it was very educational to see how they function as a team. Some one, *cough*doward*cough* put some orange sticker on my hard top...don't know what to do about that. :mrgreen:

The calm before the storm - getting ready for the first session on track. Super Lap Battle is worth attending for the photos alone. They have some serious photographers track side.

Sadly, this is where the story takes a bit of turn for the worse and it was a reminder about the importance of testing. After ironing out a few installer/user errors on my brake kit I discovered I was suffering from a phenomenon called pad knock back.

The simplest way to explain this is that it is caused by the natural flex of suspension components with a rigid caliper. After a series of sweepers, like the ones leading to the famous Bus Stop corner, the pedal needed to be pumped otherwise it would go to the floor in the braking zone. This lead to some, uhhh, interesting moments on track.

Frustration levels were high and it quickly became apparent the car was going on jack stands between every session to work through the issues. Thankfully StopTech had two AMAZING people on site, Brad & Sean. They were in the pits helping me every single minute they could be and consulting folks back at the StopTech office for more information. I cannot thank them enough for their help, insight and dedication. They exemplary employees of StopTech and it really shows that StopTech, as a business, genuinely care about their product.

After the final session on day one it was pretty clear we couldn't resolve the problems at the track. I am working with StopTech to determine the exact source of the problems with my car and should have the kit back on the car very soon. There were a number of other kits on track that weekend (on Miatas) that were not experiencing knock back so we know it is isolated to some variable on my car.

At the end of day we assembled the Miata take over crew for an awesome photo. This won't be the last time I go and I'll be back with a vengeance next year. It was pretty darn amazing seeing Miatas make an actual splash at time attack.

I tried a few more crazy ideas the next day but packed up and on the road by early afternoon. I had intended to film more of the experience of being at Super Lap Battle but my motivation to film was curbed by wrenching in between sessions, hope you enjoy what I did capture!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Re: Super Lap Battle 2017!

This is a great pic. Shows the struggles you faced at the event and you didn't give up. Everyone concerned, you in the thick of it trying to get things working right, Stoptech guys involved trying to help sort it out, etc. Hey, you even gave me an excuse to break out the grinder! As you said in the vid, sometimes this is the way the cookie crumbles, and this is the growing pains that sometimes come with pushing forwards with the car. Nevertheless, well handled and I know this car is going to get its vengeance at a future SLB. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #470 (Edited)
3rd Annual Chuckwalla Pilgrimage And New Projects!

For the 3rd year in a row I made the trip to Chuckwalla Valley Raceway as the end of the year celebration and to have a great time with even better friends. Unlike last year, I went with the "Street" aero since my wife and I were co-driving.

Scooby did 275 miles on track and did not skip a beat. Before heading up, I swapped on the old brakes while I am working out the bugs with the StopTech kit. With how the schedule worked out every session was a double session where I'd come in hot with one lap to go and do a quick driver swap with my wife before going right back out for more fun.

Little bit of in car action chasing down the Porsche's in green group. I could definitely tell the Hankook RS-4s were starting to cycle out. After 9 months of co-driving events and some hard track days I'm very impressed with these tires.

The gang from this year. I am already plotting for the next trip out! If your in SoCal, or within spitting distance, and haven't visited Chuckwalla...GO! This is my favorite track in Southern California right now. They recently added 40 cabins on site and it makes the entire experience MUCH better.

----------------------------

Oh ya, there is one more thing...say hello to Shaggy.

After 8 years with the Miata, I decided it was time for some change. I picked up a nearly new Toyota 86 at the start of this year! The Miata isn't going anywhere and is going to be converted into a more friendly HPDE learning tool for my wife to use. She's starting to get quick and needs the right tool to keep moving forward. There is still lots to do with the Miata and expect more updates soon. If you want to follow the 86 build, I'll have a separate thread HERE! For now here is a little introduction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, this is a bit of a reach back, but I'm running the same "v-mount" intercooler setup and charge piping you have. Where did you locate the AIT sensor? Asking since I couldn't see it in any of your photos. I was thinking about putting it in one of the endtanks pointing down so the outside air can stop it from heatsoaking.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
Hey, this is a bit of a reach back, but I'm running the same "v-mount" intercooler setup and charge piping you have. Where did you locate the AIT sensor? Asking since I couldn't see it in any of your photos. I was thinking about putting it in one of the endtanks pointing down so the outside air can stop it from heatsoaking.
IAT is located on the cold side pipe, no issues with heat soak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IAT is located on the cold side pipe, no issues with heat soak.
Hah! I'm blind. Thank you!

Edit: thought I'd add a photo. Your build has really helped me plan my car out. :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
You're going to love the 86. I've had my FR-S for 5 years now and between that and the Miata I don't think I could part with either. It's even more fun going back and forth from one to the other as they both have different and unique character. Very hard to find cars like the Twin and the Miata. Headers and a tune on E85 really wake the 86 up. Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Hah! I'm blind. Thank you!

Edit: thought I'd add a photo. Your build has really helped me plan my car out. :icon_cheers:
Your build looks great, I like how you used the BFW bracket for the Rotrex.

You're going to love the 86. I've had my FR-S for 5 years now and between that and the Miata I don't think I could part with either. It's even more fun going back and forth from one to the other as they both have different and unique character. Very hard to find cars like the Twin and the Miata. Headers and a tune on E85 really wake the 86 up. Congrats on your purchase.
I agree with you, I like the experiences each platform provides. Admittedly I have not driven my Miata much since I picked up the 86. It's time to pull the car out for a detail for the new year.

·
Murse Magnet
7,242 Posts
Kind of a late bump I know, but I have been following your thread quite a bit. I did want to ask you though. If you are running a rotrex and a skunk 2 intake manifold, have you tried using the skunk 2 .5L plenum spacer? Seems to help with more power in the mid and upper ranges.

I like your build a lot. Keep up the good work.

461 - 478 of 478 Posts