ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my Miata a few months ago and all I've really done with it is drive around town.

I'm heading out on an 8 hour drive to Ohio in a few hours and I'm not sure what to expect. You don't really know how it's going to be until several hours have passed.

My other alternative for the trip would be an automatic 03 civic ex 4 door. B.O.R.I.N.G.

jw if I'm in for a helacious trip or not.

·
Registered
692 Posts
have you got stock seats? if so i think you'll be fine. i have sparco speeds and no cruise control, on a 400 mile jaunt from so. cal to monterey my legs/bum were killing me.. but i'd do it again in a heart beat, nice roads. DO IT!!

·
Now in a White Club
1,232 Posts
I haven't been on the extent of an 8 hour trip, but done a few 2-4 hour trips. It's not too bad, just be sure to stop every once in a while, get a drink, stretch. Oh and if you start to get that boring feeling, just start darting through traffic, that'll liven things up, and make you remember why you took the 'iata.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've driven to Dallas and back from Knoxville and SW Florida and back from Knoxville. I was pretty dman comfortable, but you *will* want earplugs. Any trip over 45 minutes/1 hour, I wear earplugs. It makes a significant difference.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I've driven to Dallas and back from Knoxville and SW Florida and back from Knoxville. I was pretty dman comfortable, but you *will* want earplugs. Any trip over 45 minutes/1 hour, I wear earplugs. It makes a significant difference.
you mean for top down or also top up?

im considering hardtop for the trip down to VIR for maximum driving pleasure.

·
Registered
211 Posts
threw on my hardtop and did a coast-to-coast trip (SF to DC--that's almost the coast!) in four days. First leg was SF to Grand Junction, CO to have a brew with the fellas at FM. I think that was like 18 hours of driving (1050 miles) in one sitting. The sunrise over utah was beautiful. the sunset over nevada was not.

This was in a stock interior 01 and it was pretty comfortable. But sitting in anything for that long gets tedious. Just stop every few hours and stay away from caffeine so you dont have to stop more often.

my exhaust is quiet so I didn't need earplugs. the hydra did well too (but I brought my laptop just in case and for datalogs).

Matt

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wear earplugs for top down and top up if I'm making a long trip. My NA doesn't have any sound deadening material left, and with tire noise, top noise, et cetera, I'm better off with the earplugs no matter what.

The most I've driven in the new NC is 80 miles, top down, no earplugs. I was better off than I am in the NA. I've only put 155 miles on the NC, so it's not really been tested on long trips yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it turned out to be alright. My ass did hurt when I got there, and my back was lil sore, but all in all it was a comfy trip.

The car did develop a bad clicking noise and I was pretty nervous about it making it, but it ended up doing it just fine.

The only annoying thing was that I ended up following a storm the whole way from Ohio to my house in Virginia, I kept going in and out of it as I went different directions through the mountains haha.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just (today) got back from a 3500mile 10 day trip in my miata. Did anyone in California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Montana or Idaho see a right hand drive BRG driving around?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts