ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't installed them yet, going to do that on monday. Ill let everyone know how they are after i get a chance to try them out but i have a feeling they will be decent. :) I also wanted to say that Dave at DDMWorks is a great guy and is really helpful.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Yes, they are definatly not for everyone. However, I remember paid around $1800 for my Tanabe Coilovers w/Pillow Ball upper mounts on all four corners, so $2000 doesnt seem that far off. Wish these had been available in the USA back when i got my Tanabes, i would have spent the extra coin for those.

Look at all the top tuners race cars in Japan (Roadsters anyhow) 90% of them are runnning ohlins. Im guessing they are doing something right, no?

When its time to sell the Tananbes, i will rock the ohlins, fo shuwah! \(^_^)/

PhatMiata :shock:
(so many parts, so little money) #-o

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't mind spending that much on a track car. I was just talking about a street car that won't see any real track time, and is only going to use coilovers for looks. I'd never pay over $1200 for coilovers that you're just going to use for looking good, when others can do that and save you hundreds of dollars. I don't mean to make it sound like i'm accusing anyone of that, just explaining myself #-o

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest im not sure what kind of steel they are made of but pretty sure its not stainless. It seems to have some sort of galvanized coating on it that gives it the gold color.
Yea it took me like 3 years to actually save up that much without spending it but now i have gotten over the coilover hump and can start waisting my money on all the smaller stuff i have been wanting but didnt want to buy. Its like my project beginning. but i was just thinking about it, $2000 shocks on a $4000 car. Yikes. Should be one sweet car when im done (if it ever gets to that point, which it shouldnt).
I was going to get the JICs but these were only like $200-$300 more and i have the piece of mind that they are really quality shocks that have good support and can be rebuilt.
As far as the rebuilding every year thing, i dont plan on doing this and i know they will be fine. Every shock is going to lose performance over its lifetime but Ohlins recommends to rebuild them every year to keep performance consistant. Also from what i have heard, it may be the nitrogen that can escape over time that could be the real culprit requiring the rebuilds. I guess we will see. Basically, im just happy i have the option. I plan to probably go about 2 years+ between rebuilds.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fwd, i agree with what you said about track driving and that is my goal although right now i just dont have the time. I want to set it up to handle really well and the dampers are a very important part to that equation. And for the record, I think the ohlins are pretty ugly as far as coilovers go. Now the aluminum bodied ones, thats another story.

P.S. I dont want you to think that im accusing you of accusing anyone. :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i think they are pretty jdm considering all the instrucions are in japanese and they say made in japan on them.

Again, not accusing you... :wink:

·
Registered
441 Posts
nice, how do these compare to tein etc?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Well, i think they are pretty jdm considering all the instrucions are in japanese and they say made in japan on them.

Again, not accusing you... :wink:
Ah, you're talking manufacturing, i'm talking the actually company :)

Mr.Kenth Öhlin

And I wouldn't put JIC anywhere near the top 20 suspension companies, just my opinion

1 - 20 of 35 Posts