ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I are kicking around buying another car. We have a line on a very good deal for a 2006 BMW 330xi with 40k on the clock. We have 3 kids to tote around, if we didn't I'd drive my Miata year round. I have done a little digging and can't seem to find anything to really watch out for. My wife's biggest concern is the cost of maintenance and up keep. Talking to the dealer, the car uses synthetic motor oil and the oil change intervals are not the old school 3 month 3000 miles guidelines. So tell me CR, am I thinking about this way too much?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Everybody I've heard from who has bought a used BMW has told me that cost of maintenance is high. I've heard some horror stories... not that a horror story is necessarily bad, but if you're using it for family duty, maybe it's not the best thing.

If I had 3 kids to deal with I think I would honestly look into a top of the line minivan. I don't know their ages, but eventually you will have to buy "stuff" for them that goes with them and takes up space. Like sports equipment, clothes, **** for school, and whatever else people buy for kids. And, I think, on long trips, a minivan with TVs in the back and plenty of space for them would go a long way to quelling that "are we there yet" mentality that children get.

Also, I'd be less apt to getting angry about **** getting spilled and dirt soiling the interior in a utilitarian van, opposed to a nice sedan, but that's just me.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah got that covered already. 2004 Honda Pilot will take on that kind of beating when needed. This will be a short trip hauler when we don't need the space. Kids are 10 7 and 9 months, so we have been through it all at this point. They are pretty good about cleaning up after themselves though, so I am not too concerned about that part of it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think it's sad that people think all kids are those same bratty assholes they see in television commercials.

Cool cars cost more money. Get the Bimmer. I guess it's all about the gamble of some expensive repairs offset by getting a good deal on a 40K mile used one.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
i have an 07 335i. Maintenance honestly isn't that bad. They say 15k per oil change. i think that's high so I do it about every 7500 miles. Oil change will run you $70 for bmw oil and filter if you do it yourself.

Getting the NA version probably would be good because I dont think it has the same HPFP issues (had to pull my chip today so I could get my hpfp fixed next week.. bummer), and since it's NA you wont have to worry about wastegate rattle or anything. Outside of normal maintenance, I think I've spent $600 to get the oil housing filter fixed (pain in the ass job which requires removal of the intake manifold). It seems that with the n52, this is not necessary, so +1 for the non-turbo lol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You could buy a brand new Forester or possibly even a Legacy for the price of that used BMW.
If your local Subaru dealer is anything like mine, they'll include all the regular maintenance for free plus extend the drivetrain warranty.
Me and the wife traded both of our E46's in on our new Forester, and on sunny days when I'm not hauling the kids I drive the Miata.
I don't miss either car at all, I do miss my E36 325is but that's a story for another day...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts