ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
needs a wingman
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a header, but i'm just not satisfied with anything that's available over this side. i'd like something with LONG primaries and shorter secondaries with a nice collector that comes to about the same length as the stock piece+cat, or something that has SUPER long primaries and terminates in a nice 4-1 collector or merge collector. i adore header technogy, especially after my last car, a 2002 Acura RSX Type-S. after i installed the race header on that car, it transformed it completely! i had a pretty good discussion with some people over at roadsterdrift.com's forum. link to original thread

in state's where emissions isn't really in question(such as mine) a test-pipe, or small resonator, has it's obvious benefits. also, i just think miata header designs are JUNK. there's so many incredible designs out there for honda's that make stupid power on stock engines, all because of design.(take a look at Hy-Tech's or K-Teller's stuff o_0) there's really only about 3 different header designs out there for a miata, and all of them SUCK. they all have crappy collectors, no reversion chambers, small diameter piping, and horrible primary and secondary lengths. there can EASILY be 15 hp tied up in a header on a miata, it's just going to take someone with the money to properly build an awesome header for it. i was thinking of buying one of the ebay ones and modifing it so i can run 4 VERY long primarys into a NICE, TRUE 2.5" collector, but i just don't have a welder or the time to do it, since my car's a DD. i can understand there could be some clearance issues with the steering rack, but you can still make it work. ;) you can argue that the cheap one's are worth it compared to the expensive one's, but when it comes down to it, they really aren't. an expensive, well designed header will ALWAYS make more power everywhere in the RPM range, hold it's value, and have better quality, than a cheap, $110 OBX knock-off.

and the whole "backpressure" thing is pure bullshit. it's all about tuning the exhaust pulses and velocity. the reason you loose low-end with a larger diameter exhaust is because you loose velocity, not because you don't have enough backpressure. you make more power, just much higher in the RPM range. by properly managing and scavenging exhaust gases in the proper pulses and keeping velocity high, you'll keep that low-end power, and make all that top-end power.

so IMO, header's aren't worth it on miata's.... yet.

if anyone has any leads on a header of my description, PLEASE let me know soon! and if you could, please post pictures of any headers that you know of that work with LHD cars! =D>

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Hytech will make you an amazing header for $1500, all custom built to your engine, stepped/reversion chambers or whatever you want. Unfourtunatly your right about the miata headers, the good stuff right now is custom and expensive.

http://www.hytechexhaust.com/

Or you could try contacting SMSP,

http://sms-products.com/

Or an RMF header which are sold though Import Power House

http://www.importpowerhouse.com/custom_header_manifolds.htm#

Or if you want to be cheap you can buy a header and weld on a 2.5 inch collector and that will help out a little bit

And that's all the decent custom ones form the honda world I can remember, they're all going to be from $800-1500

edit: whoops forgot the you didn't have time to have someone weld it part of the quote

·
needs a wingman
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you tryed to call " Headers by Ed". he makes custom headers for old school hot rods. he charged me 650 for a custom header for a 69 camaro 8 years ago.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i wish there were nice headers made for the miata, i would never rock a cheap looking racing beat or anything similar.

i miss my an-r header... :-(

crappy picture but trust that it had a big ass collector down there :)

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
i have it but they did not test the racing beat header, i wish they did though, i want to see how brands like RB stack up against brands like maxim and anniversary
Only US 1.6 manifolds will fit Roadsters. A 1.8 Roadster manifold will only fit a US car unless you also fit the 375mm JDM cat. A US manifold will only fit a Roadster 1.8 unless you made up a 2" adaptor piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts