ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the soft top in the miata, and purchased a hard top. I do not wish to run the hard top full-time though. On the days that I leave the hard top at home/work, I need some form of cover for the sporadic downpours that we often receive. Has anyone purchased a cockpit cover for their miata, or have any recommendations for them? I want to avoid a full body cover if possible, but still have a dry seat on the days that I am topless.

http://www.capoptop.com/

This one says it is water resistant, and seems to cover back to the trunk, keeping water out of the cabin.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/30-1117.html

looks secure, but no clue on the water resistance.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Put it this way.. Would you want to leave your Miata in the rain with that sheet over it? I wouldn't. Removing the soft-top for daily driving is not a good idea unless in barely rains in your area or it's just a nice sunny day car that goes to the beach and back. That soft top is the emergency coverage that you NEED when leaving the hardtop at home.

Rain will pool up in the Good Win Racing thing and cause a mildew disaster. Removing the soft-top mean the hardtop will always be on.. or its off when you go somewhere and the weather says no rain in 2 weeks.

Here in NJ it can be sunny all day and rain for 1 minute at 8PM... which will total your interior. Just trying to help!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I do agree that a soft top would be best, but it's not in the cards for a while.

I was mostly curious as to whether anyone had used one, and what their experiences were.

The Pop Top looks to be superior, in that the fabric goes back to the trunk, and is secured. I spoke with the owner on the phone, and he said that the cover will hold up to moderate storms without leaks. The pain place that you worry about leaks coming from is where the seams lie.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the second one shown and it has a tab at the trunk to secure it but the cover by no means will keep rain out. It doesn't seal out the weather so i wouldn't use it daily. It is nice if you have the boot on and want to keep the sun from baking the seats while parked.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Looks sharp, about as water 'resistant' as the rest, the suggestion is a small piece of broom handle between the seats to as to tent the thing and make the water run off the sides instead of pooling in the middle. Center zip has a substantial flap underneath and all sides do overlap the edges of the car so you don't have to worry about the water running into the car.

You can also leave the cabin half covered when you drive, makes for awesome heat retention and it's made of the same material as the soft top.

Although when I'm out in the rain I just put the top up.

:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts