ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my first Miata in a week or so. The car Is a 2000 LS with a JR supercharger with a Powercard. It has a brainstorm header and high flow cat. Other than that the car is basically stock.
I'm concerned about detonation in it's current form as well as if I mod more in the Phoenix environment. My understanding is that the stock motor is INTOLERANT of any detonation. I figured I might as well just install a PWR radiator now as the one in it is the 7 year old original. I am also going to install this CAI from Moss
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=54520

After that I'm not sure which direction to go in. I've heard about the 5th injector but can't find much info on it? What about a more advanced ignition setup? Or maybe an intercooler? There's SO many options that I'm not really sure what to do? Detonation control is my priority right now but if I can pick up a few more horses while I'm at it thats fine with me for right now. I'm planning on modding the hell out of this car, eventually an MP62 will go on when I rebuild the motor, and my target will be 300+HP, so don't hold back on any ideas or thoughts.
I know the CAI wont interchange with the MP62 housing, but I figured I'd just Ebay it when I upgraded and maybe take a 30% loss. Right now I'm looking to add cooling and power if possible, and I do realize that the M45 is not capable of my final goals, but neither is the block or rotating assembly either until I build the right motor for my goals.
I am making serious frame,brake,motor,and suspension changes to address the added power problems.
My goal was to upgrade the rest of the car first, IC, radiator, fuel and timing, frame, brakes, suspension, etc. After that is done then I'll just yank the whole motor and drop a race prepped block with an MP62 in 1 shot, done deal.
So right now I'm looking to start that upgrades with cooling and detonation control. Any idea's or opinions? There are so many different setups out there I was really looking for some of you guys personal experiences with them. Are you happy? Would you buy the same again?
I also am aware of the drivetrain issues. I've been told that a 6 speed would last longer by one of BRP's former tech's on another board. As I would get closer I was going to try and see if I could find a shop to Cryo treat the gears. And I've already decided on installing a Cusco diff anyway so thats no problem. I have used Centerforce Dual Friction clutches in all my other project cars so far and saw they offer one for the Miata, but I haven't heard from anyone who has one with some high powered cars yet to know how much I can expect it to take.
I'm also laying out a ton of money for body rigidity and suspension, this was my plan so far, I'd appreciate any opinions, good or bad if you have it on any of these parts. It's basically the whole setup I'm planning on running for Frame/Suspension, not including brakes. I know it's a lot to look at, but if you have any experience or knowledge of the quality of anything I have selected i would greatly appreciate your input.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4538&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-69920 90-97
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4538&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-69000
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=36388
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=47320
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Mazda/Miata/HR/Suspension/Coilovers
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Mazda/Miata/HR/Suspension/Sway_Bars
http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=44906
and last but not least for all my control arms.......
http://www.yawpower.com/miatasuspmain.html
I still haven't decided on Strut tower braces.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW this is the car. And I already bought a Nardi 2001 SE wood wheel and a Nardi wood shifter to match. I'll get the rest of the wood interior as money permits.......

Attachments

·
3,857 Posts
Modifying a JRSC set can be expensive...ask me how I know :) or better go to my photo album...
http://bluelaguna94.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
FYI I have everything that you mentioned up to know with the exception of the cusco LSD...

I can tell you after all these money that I spent I got smoked today by an s2000...

I believe that if you want 220 at the wheels the easiest way to go there is by selling your JRSC and installing an FFS...

Now if you want 300wHP you need a hotside setup... so you need
-> PRW Rad
-> TDR IC
-> LINK ECU+550cc Injectors
-> MP62

The good thing is that everything is compatible with your set up...
I can tell you that none of the above solves your problem but all of them together they do :)

I tried Powercard + Bipes
and I added FM O2 clamp (you need this with the PC)
...I got the crank overlay pulley (150mm)
Then I upgraded the fuel pump (just to be on the safe side)
...I got the TDR IC
...I realized that I need a bigger rad (with the IC in the front)
...I bought a LINK ecu
...new 550cc injectors
...smaller SC pulley
here I am after $4 latter (I didn't include the cost of the JRSC) and I telling you go with an MP62 :)

To me out of these the LINK ECU was the biggest surprise...

Anyway for brace get the combalt brace from MOSS (triangular) if you have ABS forget the brace...

·
3,857 Posts
The butterfly is the best bet for rigidity I got one, screwed it on a manhole and then another one (still ok)...
A rollbar helps too and can save your head in a roll over...

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Sorry, you got smoked by an S2000....but justice came back around as I put one in its place yesterday.....but it was stock looking....

·
3,857 Posts
Sorry, you got smoked by an S2000....but justice came back around as I put one in its place yesterday.....but it was stock looking....
LOL :mrgreen: =D>
=D>
Now I'm sure there is balance on the planet and every timre I'm getting screwed I know that somebody else would be having fun :lol:

Seriously it was too close to call but I consider it toward his side because he had a passenger and I didn't!
It was a 2005 s2000 (2.2) and it looked bone stock #-o

I was so depressed that I almost took out my CC and I was ready to buy the damn MP62 and pay them back...

·
3,857 Posts
HP is est at the crank about 220-240. You could check my mod list. Its a FMII with some upgrades.
BTW I thought that the FMII was good for 230 at the wheels...

back to my sh*t... I have to do some serious tuning with the link and maybe go to a dyno...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Modifying a JRSC set can be expensive...ask me how I know :) or better go to my photo album...
http://bluelaguna94.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
FYI I have everything that you mentioned up to know with the exception of the cusco LSD...

I can tell you after all these money that I spent I got smoked today by an s2000...

I believe that if you want 220 at the wheels the easiest way to go there is by selling your JRSC and installing an FFS...

Now if you want 300wHP you need a hotside setup... so you need
-> PRW Rad
-> TDR IC
-> LINK ECU+550cc Injectors
-> MP62

The good thing is that everything is compatible with your set up...
I can tell you that none of the above solves your problem but all of them together they do :)

I tried Powercard + Bipes
and I added FM O2 clamp (you need this with the PC)
...I got the crank overlay pulley (150mm)
Then I upgraded the fuel pump (just to be on the safe side)
...I got the TDR IC
...I realized that I need a bigger rad (with the IC in the front)
...I bought a LINK ecu
...new 550cc injectors
...smaller SC pulley
here I am after $4 latter (I didn't include the cost of the JRSC) and I telling you go with an MP62 :)

To me out of these the LINK ECU was the biggest surprise...

Anyway for brace get the combalt brace from MOSS (triangular) if you have ABS forget the brace...
Thats an impressive car and photo site you have. You seem to have done many things I have been considering.
If it was up to me I would have gone with the MP62 from the start, but the previous owner did the JR. The FFS setup is no good for me in Phoenix, it's just too hot to run no IC for a daily driver. With a PWR 37mm radiator and a TDR IC I think cooling will be OK. I'm not sure which pulley to go with. I also was figuring on 550cc injectors.
You said you were happy with your Link? Did you use an adapter board? There seem to be many available options for the Link like knock sensors, keypads, IAT sensors etc. But they aren't very clear about what is and isn't included with the 99-05 kit, I only see the keypad mentioned?
When you say the Link was the biggest surprise, how so? Good surprise? Was there a noticeable difference in operating temps with it? How about MPG? How complex is a Link install on an NB?
I had been thinking about going with the Moss Cobalt brace and your recommendation was all I need to finalize that choice as well, and I'm definetly using the Butterfly Brace, it's quite impressive. I had a similar type brace custom made for an old Mustang project many years ago, but it was expensive and time consuming, just seeing one premade was so relieving.
One other thing, you have to realize that I'm fine with 300-325 RWHP in the Miata, it's my daily driver and thats what I think the car will feel "right" with. My Corvette is my fast car(and that project isn't finished yet either, but I need to make some choices before I can move on with that project)

·
3,857 Posts
Thank you for your good words!
It seems that the LINK comes with the knock sensor nowdays, I got a used one for $1K with everything (key pad etc), and I would suggest you to do the same (someone else bought on for $600!!!) so you can save a lot of money that way. The surprise was that it eliminated pinging and it made everything look "factory". I also got a wideband...so the car looks and behaves like if it had FI from the factory. The idle is smooth , the fuel maps are right, the rev limiter can be adjusted wherever you like...it's really a nice thing to have. I still haven't find time to do some proper tunning (which can give me 10-20% for power!)...
The cobalt brace from Moss it's really good just make sure you don't have ABS!
If you upgrade to TRD IC (Btw it worth every penny - believe me) you also need a bigger rad because the IC will warm up the air that goes to the rad so you need bigger capacity rad to balance it out...
The Link ECU it's not hard to install and run a basic map but you'll need the 550cc to do that...fast and easy. Of course that's not a bad thing...
If you stay with the Powercard you need an o2 clamp to avoid pinging at tip in...

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
HP is est at the crank about 220-240. You could check my mod list. Its a FMII with some upgrades.
BTW I thought that the FMII was good for 230 at the wheels...

back to my sh*t... I have to do some serious tuning with the link and maybe go to a dyno...
Yeah 230 to the wheels at 12 psi
Mines at 9psi d/t the aging motor. Once I get a fresh/rebuilt motor, I plan on going to 15psi.....Then I will be on the hunt for modded s2000's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your good words!
It seems that the LINK comes with the knock sensor nowdays, I got a used one for $1K with everything (key pad etc), and I would suggest you to do the same (someone else bought on for $600!!!) so you can save a lot of money that way. The surprise was that it eliminated pinging and it made everything look "factory". I also got a wideband...so the car looks and behaves like if it had FI from the factory. The idle is smooth , the fuel maps are right, the rev limiter can be adjusted wherever you like...it's really a nice thing to have. I still haven't find time to do some proper tunning (which can give me 10-20% for power!)...
The cobalt brace from Moss it's really good just make sure you don't have ABS!
If you upgrade to TRD IC (Btw it worth every penny - believe me) you also need a bigger rad because the IC will warm up the air that goes to the rad so you need bigger capacity rad to balance it out...
The Link ECU it's not hard to install and run a basic map but you'll need the 550cc to do that...fast and easy. Of course that's not a bad thing...
If you stay with the Powercard you need an o2 clamp to avoid pinging at tip in...
I definetly think the PWR radiator is my first mod, then the CAI. After that I'm going to buy the 550cc injectors and the Link setup, including any extra sensors(like a wideband O2 sensor) I desire. You talked me into it. I'm too affraid to do any more mods on the car without improvements to cooling, fuel and timing/ignition. It's just to risky in Arizona summers.
After that I can start saving for the IC and Braces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts