ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
O'Reillys has a great battery.
Plus the part # is MIATA !

For whatever you do end up getting, just make sure it is a AGM battery.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I noticed a Miata battery is usually a special order and a bit more expensive, I decided to go to a Local Walmart and got a battery slightly bigger more CCAs and same battery posts for about 40 bucks cheaper, it took about 15mins to make it fit but worth it, I will say that brand is not the best but no problems yet

·
Administrator
15,326 Posts
I noticed a Miata battery is usually a special order and a bit more expensive, I decided to go to a Local Walmart and got a battery slightly bigger more CCAs and same battery posts for about 40 bucks cheaper, it took about 15mins to make it fit but worth it, I will say that brand is not the best but no problems yet
Is it an AGM and uses the vents from your original batter?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

whats the part number for that walmart battery?

·
Murse Magnet
7,330 Posts
Re branded Westco battery. It is agm and designed for the miata. It is what I am using and I am happy with the results.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMart-com-Mazda-MIATA-Battery/dp/B0038N1VD6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407432072&sr=8-1&keywords=miata+battery[/ame]

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just to note guys, this was posted in Canada section because we don't have such a good selection as you folk in muricah. A lot of US vendors won't ship a battery up here and if they do, it gets expensive.

fuzion, start by checking with your Mazda dealer and asking for a discount. Call a few dealers, as they will all have different margins.

·
Administrator
15,326 Posts
For sure. BUT, this doesn't mean that it's a good idea to use a non-vented Wally World battery. :)

Do you guys have any of the parts store chains i posted earlier? Particularly Advance Auto Parts? With discount code TRT30 or A124, a Miata battery becomes pretty damn cheap.

·
Administrator
15,326 Posts
Ok - I'm a noob. Why is it so important to get an AGM, vented battery for the Miata vs. something with adequate CCA / size?

So you don't choke to death. ;)

Orrrrrr... you can get a legit sealed battery. But it's typically cheaper to just get a Miata battery.

Or try the awesome LiOn battery things that people are using.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So you don't choke to death. ;)

Orrrrrr... you can get a legit sealed battery. But it's typically cheaper to just get a Miata battery.

Or try the awesome LiOn battery things that people are using.
So there is nothing special from an electrical perspective it's just about the location (in the trunk) and the gasses that a non-sealed would give off?

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Just curious, but how much are you guys paying for your Duralast (whatever really) batteries from palces like Auto Zone?

·
Administrator
15,326 Posts
Just curious, but how much are you guys paying for your Duralast (whatever really) batteries from palces like Auto Zone?

I think i just paid $109 from Autozone for a Duralast because Advance was closed and i had a shorted battery. (Pretty much all the Miata replacements are piles of ****, honestly.)

The Duralast seems to have the most CCA out of the ones i've used so far.

Otherwise at Advance, i pay $92 + $18 core. Prices seem to have gone up. Last one i got from there was $84.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
When my starter went out, and a jump start didn't work, I thought it was the battery. Autozone tried to charge me $140. WTF. I called our shop's tow truck guy and got towed for $30 instead.

Found out later that $84 is the commercial account price. ****. I thought Miata batteries were like $60 tops.

·
Administrator
15,326 Posts
Well... the best plan is to convert to one of those small hobby battery things when it's not, you know... an emergency.

If we keep this car until next spring, i'm ditching these bullshit Miata batteries and going with a 2lb battery.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts