ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently had a timing belt/water pump job and after driving the car for a few days it developed a coolant leak from faulty hose clip. Fixed the leak but now my belt/s squeal on cold start for a few seconds most likely due to coolant dripping on them. Tried tension the belts more and belt dressing but still squeals. Bought 2 new belts from autozone So i searched and found this image

I loosened the pivot bold and the lock bolt a whole bunch. I also took all the tension off of the tension bolt. But after that nothing would budge, I tried pulling the belt up and i tried pushing the AC unit but it wouldnt budge either. How do I get this belt off? Am I not loosening another bolt? Sorry for the newb question but I am trying to be direct as possible.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
That is the power steering pump...if the pivot bolt is loose..and the lock bolt is loose...and the tension bolt is backed out...the pump will pivot DOWN to allow the belt to be removed

the AC is mounted below the PS pump and does not move at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the best place to push on it to make it pivot down? because it really seemed to have no movement. Also, should I clean the pulleys with anything in case they are coated with coolant?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The pivot bolt requires that you hold one side while loosening the other. Make sure your doing it correctly cause I did mine yesterday

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pivot bolt requires that you hold one side while loosening the other. Make sure your doing it correctly cause I did mine yesterday
yeah i put a 14mm on both sides and made sure the nut on the other end was finger loose. and i also loosened the lock bolts a bunch. Can you tell me in specific detail how you got your belt to loosen? did you just have to wrench the tensioner counter clockwise? because when i do that to mine the tensioner bolt gets really loose but its just as tight. or did you have to push on yours to loosen it? Also how loose can the belt can? Thank you!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Idk if it's nessecary but I completely removed the tension system. I completely backed out the long screw and untightened the 2 14s and it came right loose

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so when you say push down...can i just like push from the top side of that piece of metal that the tensioner bolts head rests on? And i realize im being a complete noob, but i am so tired of taking my intake off and loosening these bolts with no luck =[

·
Registered
104 Posts
You don't have to take the pivot bolt all the way out. Just loosen it and the lock bolt, loosen the 14mm bolt above the pivot bolt, and back out the tension bolt a bunch, push down wherever and the whole pump should pivot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't have to take the pivot bolt all the way out. Just loosen it and the lock bolt, loosen the 14mm bolt above the pivot bolt, and back out the tension bolt a bunch, push down wherever and the whole pump should pivot.
what 14 mm above the pivot bolt? can you see it in the picture i posted?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah you can see it in the photo, it's the one next to the coolant hose that's half out the bracket. Gold-ish in colour, no nut on the back side, the tension bolt is pointing at it, I'd circle it in a photo and post but I'm too damn lazy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and also...how many bolts to you have to loosen for the alternator belt...I know there is the awkward bolt on the bottom backside...then the locking bolt...then the tensioner bolt...anything else?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help guys, I finally got the ac/ps belt loose (turns out it was that 2nd locking bolt). Still couldnt get alternator belt loose because that bolt behind the bottom of the alternator was just way too tight...any suggestions on how to loosen that one? should i jack the car up and remove plastic tray?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too needed assistance with providing slack to my alternator belt.. was addressing the bolts in first pic, but was missing the one on the backside as shown in 2nd pic. This is the same bolt the manual referred to, I was just looking on the wrong side for the bolt..

Yay, now my post went from needing knowledge to providing it :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts