ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can i remove in the engine bay that isnt needed and will not throw a CEL, I still need to pass obd2 emission in IL

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Intake manifold brace, washer fluid reservoir + lines, and cruise control are easy to start with.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That plus AC?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
PS delete or manual rack swap. There's a great weight loss thread on another forum (can't recall which one).

Also here's a useful website you might find more ideas on:
http://www.lightweightmiata.com/

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Just out of curiosity: I never understood the intake manifold brace - what's it for? Was Mazda afraid of cracking intake manifolds?
I've heard multiple reasons but most are probably speculation. Extra bracing during assembly line movement, bracing during crate package transportation..?

Lots of people have removed them without issues. Mine's off but has only been for a few months.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Just out of curiosity: I never understood the intake manifold brace - what's it for? Was Mazda afraid of cracking intake manifolds?
there is some speculation that the brace is there to alleviate some weight from the manifold studs. Apparently, removing the brace has caused somebody's cousin's friend's ex-boyfriend's miata to stretch a stud, but I have never heard it from the horse's mouth.

In other words, some people say don't remove it or you will stretch the intake manifold studs, but I have yet to hear of anyone actually stretching the studs.

I have ran with and without on many random occasions and checked my studs and nothing seems out of whack really. I would suggest you AVOID leaning on the manifold or putting your weight on it if you do remove it, just as a safety factor.

Weight savings:

A/C, Condenser, lines
P/S Delete and depower the rack
Cruise Control
Redo the intake box
Remove windshield washer fluid
Wire tuck and move the fuse box
delete/reroute the charcoal canister
in lieu of the charcoal, move all the EGR/solenoid/charcoal vacuum control system
cut out the hood bracings
move the headlight relays (part of the wire tuck)

The engine bay is not the only place to lose weight:
remove the parcel shelf carpet (its heavy)
cut out the trunk bracings
remove trunk lining and spare wheel
remove power antenna (if you have it) and run radio from your phone or MP3 player

there is more to be had, if you want to live with some discomfort:
Gut the doors, but keep power windows (there is quick how to on miataturbo)
wiretuck the interior
remove the parcel shelf shell
remove the rear tub carpet
light weight exhaust
lighter wheels
lighter BBKs
lightweight flywheel + clutch
Switch to a 1.6L dash

More to be had still, but I doubt you really want to do half the stuff I posted anyways if you are still worried about emissions. With that said, follow blackbird's track build. He has gutted tons of **** out.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
The danger is the throttle body/intake manifold brace. Remove that one and rumor is your throttle plate screws back out and your engine eats them for lunch. This is at the track supposedly. It's honestly all speculation, but you can safely remove the big aluminum one.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The danger is the throttle body/intake manifold brace. Remove that one and rumor is your throttle plate screws back out and your engine eats them for lunch. This is at the track supposedly. It's honestly all speculation, but you can safely remove the big aluminum one.
please clarify? I didn't realize there were two? Is this second brace on the NBs also? are you talking about that black thing under the throttle body, with a ground wire attached to it?

The screws backing out is new to me also. From what I heard about it, seems to be an issue with cars spinning past 7500 rpms.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Curly's note about the throttle plate screws refers to a couple of instances where Emilio's (949 Racing) throttle body spat screws into the engine. Emilio posted a thread about this on the big board a year or two ago. It makes for interesting reading!
Emilio's initial mention is here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=273524&page=3
There is follow-up info here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=302371
Mostly deals with throttle shaft breakage, but I recall some of the photos showing clear imprints of the little screw threading on the piston tops.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Curly's note about the throttle plate screws refers to a couple of instances where Emilio's (949 Racing) throttle body spat screws into the engine. Emilio posted a thread about this on the big board a year or two ago. It makes for interesting reading!
Emilio's initial mention is here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=273524&page=3
There is follow-up info here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=302371
Mostly deals with throttle shaft breakage, but I recall some of the photos showing clear imprints of the little screw threading on the piston tops.
Thanks for sharing. I will read on it considering I have plans for upping the rev limiter.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont think my MSM has the intake brace can i get a pic of it on a regular nb?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts