ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
makes me want to compare to to a ariel atom.. but that thing is just way faster than the lotus. and at 1/2 the cost :(

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I remembers seeing earlier sketches of this, the car looks sick, the body lines do look just like an s2k

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
At first glance I thought you had the wrong link and it really WAS an S2K. Very similar lines, but still hot.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those motors have kind of a shitty rep for spun bearings though, its weird they use them in all their cars.
I've heard of spun bearings on 2zz and 1zz motors too.

"It turns out that both the 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines are susceptible to rod bearing failures, but especially the 2ZZ. I've seen both 1ZZ and 2ZZ bearings flattened like mine on turbocharged cars, but rod bearings seem to fail even on unmodified cars. Oil starvation seems to be the primary factor, especially on 2ZZ engines. It seems that when lift engages, there is a drop in oil pressure when oil is diverted from the main oil galley to run the VVL system. Monkywrench Racing offers upgraded rod and main bearings for both the 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines, but they aren't widely known about. Had I known more about the rod bearing problem before, I would have upgraded the bearings long ago, as they are fairly inexpensive and not terribly difficult to install."

It's prolly something that Toyota has addressed. I can't afford and don't do much research on 2zz powered Lotus cars so I don't know if they have any starvation issues. I was interested in a Celica GT-S back in the day though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Those motors have kind of a shitty rep for spun bearings though, its weird they use them in all their cars.
can i see proof?

Actually both of the only friends I have that own celicas. Luckily one kids got totalled so he didn't have to get the motor replaced (after it started going bad) and the other is having to get his motor replaced - its in the shop now. He took it to toyota with 90k on it, they admitted the problem AFTER having him get a TB and valve job there. Toyota has a recall for the motor if it shits out due to spun bearing BEFORE 60k miles - they will replace the motor. I think I remember seeing a deeper oil pan or soomething weird for the lotus' online that was supposed to help with the problem but I have no idea - I just remember reading that in turns and under hard driving there are some spots the motor can't get oil to efficiently.

Yeah- heres that oil pan : http://www.forcedfed.com/elise/oilpans/moroso.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=2zz+spun+bearing&btnG=Search

·
Registered
280 Posts
makes me want to compare to to a ariel atom.. but that thing is just way faster than the lotus. and at 1/2 the cost :(
Btw, I read somewhere that Lotus guys say this car is a competition to the Ariel Atom. And they said it would outhandle it and be quicker around the track. Not sure if it's true but it was an interesting read ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts