ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have low compression (though still withing mazda specs) in three of four cylinders. I forget the numbers, but before squirting a bit of oil, it was as low as 120. This is on a 1994 1.8L 88k mile engine.

Cylinder #1 is at 180. The others tested at ~140.

I'm prepared to do a complete overhaul of the engine. Make it nice and fresh so when it's all prepared, the car will be ready for the track.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that means. Rebuilding the engine. Don't know what that entails either.

Using a '99 head, port n polishing, etc. Not sure what all that will do to my car. I understand more power, more air, more fuel for combustion - but what about maintenance issues, i.e. how much oil to use during an oil change or stuff like that? Do I get to continue using 87 octane?

Am I making any sense? #-o

The main question, I suppose, is what I should do (if anything) to the engine. In the end, the car will become a weekend/track car.

Thanks, miata-gurus!

·
Registered
271 Posts
the amount of oil you put into your car will remain the same.. but i say go to a higher grade of oil.

umm... depending on what you do premium gas might be required

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what if i just want a strong, reliable engine. - with room to add more power in the future, whether via FI or other means? should i do anything to the head/block right now? or is this completely normal?

am i being paranoid for thinking my engine can use some work? that perhaps i should get it back to new oem specs before i start tracking it, etc.?

thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts