ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the quietest exhaust system for the NA? Not so restictive that power suffers, but nice a quite, like a gentle humming?

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,051 Posts
Quiet-->Loud
stock
Bosal
Greddy
Racing Beat
Mazdaspeed
Flyin Miata
Magnaflow/Borla
Enthuza/Thermal
Pit Crew
straight pipe

custom systems can be very quiet depending on the setup. for example... you can fit a 10 or 11" case muffler before the diff. the offset end towards front of car, the center exit towards rear of car. then use another muffler in the rear to further make it quiet... use no tip so that there is no resonance from it. ;)

TeRRy

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Yeah, the stock exhaust isn't super restrictive. if you aren't modifying anything else and want quiet, it is hard to beat stock. That said, a resonated Racing beat is very quiet.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,622 Posts
I'm a fan of my Bosal, but if I had it to do over again, the RB is higher quality, and the Bosal is darn near stock (which ain't a bad thing). That said, RUsMan's right that if you're asking this question, the stock exhaust is probably best, though both the RB and Bosal are stainless, and should last longer.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Thanks Terry! I knew I was forgetting a bunch. Several of the exhaust systems mentioned come in different flavors. For example, the FM duals or single, FM na or turbo, Enthuza na or turbo, Pitcrew non-/resonated, etc. Enthuza can be custom tailored as well with different mufflers and tips if you like. Does Thermal market a different design than the one they make for FM? I also forgot to mention the Roadstersport series of exhaust systems from Goodwin Racing. Keep in mind that what a good exhaust sounds like is subjective and once you get above the Racing Beat level of sound the tone can have as much an influence on how loud it sounds to you as the actual dB level.

·
Sequence Number 1280
3,051 Posts
lol yep... sound also deals with how much performance you have under the hood.. a turbo kit will usually make an exhaust system quieter.

TeRRy

stick with resonated RB system.. those are nice.... but id go with custom if it was me doing it... a nice long 27"(no longer) up to 2.25" resonator after the cat flanged before the cat and after the resonator. then a cheap summit racing turbo muffler, no tips, mandrel bent... should run in the area of 200-250 installed.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I think it bears repeating that which cat you run makes a big difference in sound volume. The stock cat is very quiet. The high flow cats are significantly noisier. With the stock cat in place you can actually run a 2.5" turbo exh. like the Enthuza or FM tolerably, without a turbo. Whereas you will not be able to do that if you were running a high flow cat.

Oh yeah- my Greddy BL is just super quiet. Supposedly the MX is louder, but I've never heard one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not an NA, but the RB duals (muffler section only) I put on my NB are nearly as quiet as stock... almost too quiet for me. But there was a SOTP boost in power/response :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think it bears repeating that which cat you run makes a big difference in sound volume. The stock cat is very quiet. The high flow cats are significantly noisier. With the stock cat in place you can actually run a 2.5" turbo exh. like the Enthuza or FM tolerably, without a turbo. Whereas you will not be able to do that if you were running a high flow cat.

Oh yeah- my Greddy BL is just super quiet. Supposedly the MX is louder, but I've never heard one.
I'll try to get a sound clip when I actually put my MX on.

·
2,708 Posts
excuse the ignorance - but what's a resonator and what's the point of one?
A resonator does just that, resonates the sound wave with insulation and by having it's walls perferated. Usually its a "cherry bomb" like product thats welded after the cat and before the muffler. Also called a "glass pack" in the domestic community.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts