ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bringing foxy back.
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

During these rainy days over here, i've come to notice that when taking off from a stop, my car slips only on one of the rear wheels... It is a 91 miata. Might the LSD haver kicked the bucket, or are they supposed to do that?

Cheers!

·
Registered
63 Posts
What sort of LSD?

Clutch types will eventually wear out and revert to open. Buy a rebuild kit, send it to a diff shop and away you go.

Torsen doesn't wear much at all

·
Bringing foxy back.
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the standard VLSD unit it came with. I reckon these viscous types have no possible maintenance?

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
VLSD needs to be "warmed up" to work properly. I bet after a couple of one-wheel-wonders, it works normally.

·
Bringing foxy back.
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, mine does seem to work after it has been warmed up, especially on hot days, but I thought that the heat would degrade the performance of the VLSD, as in, it should work better when cold. That's why I thought my LSD was going bad if one wheel spins freely when cold.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Well, mine does seem to work after it has been warmed up, especially on hot days, but I thought that the heat would degrade the performance of the VLSD, as in, it should work better when cold. That's why I thought my LSD was going bad if one wheel spins freely when cold.
They do tend to need some heat but you can also cook the vlsd say under track use and it becomes useless again. It was never intended to be a performance oriented differential from the get go (neither was the Torsen).

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
noob question here . Any one every considered a welded diff or is running one ? I know it has no performance value but seeing all the 240s in th area with them looks knid if fun
I know a few people running them, nothing to say its a welded diff self explanatory. Under steer like a motherfucker tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts