ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a considerable time hunting, I've managed to get a M2-1002 cluster with the idea of swapping it into my '94 NA. There are two major challenges involved. Cosmetically it's somewhat worse for wear with the paint on the facia peeling and threatening to destroy the lamp icons and of course, it's not plug & play with the existing vehicle harness.

There is also the small matter of a previous speedo face conversion from KPH to MPH which will need to be undone. I suspect Adam (Revlimiter) may hold the key here.

Through this thread I hope to share, gather and document information and suggestions to get the cluster looking good and functioning within my car.

I'll start by posting a few photos of the cluster...

Above is a photo of the cluster as it arrived. Note the peeling paint revealing the alloy facia.

A side by side comparison of the M2 cluster on the left, and the usual NA cluster on the right.

Each wire routes via a connector or plug before terminating on the connector which plugs into the original vehicle harness. Note the foam noise damping material which has deteriorated into a sticky mess.

The rear of the cluster after removing most of the foam.

Above is one of a number of three piece plastic shrouds housing 1N1004 diodes.

Diode shroud open.

Showing the diode.

Rubber insulated in-line connectors. The rubber is as new.

All cluster wiring terminates in the connector above which would connect to the M2-1002 vehicle harness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ambitious project! lookin forward to updates
Thanks bogaut.

Agreed! Gorgeous cluster for sure! :smile9:
I'm away on business until later this week so will probably not get to doing much before the weekend.

I plan on mapping out the wire color\plug pin\functionality next. It'd be great to find the M2 harness plug.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What is the diameter (size) of the two large gauges?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've not stripped the cluster yet so only able to measure approximately. They're around 80mm or 3-1/8" each.
Good enough, thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem. Shout out if you need anything else.

With a bit of ingenuity and some DIY skills, there's probably no reason why you couldn't turn out a pretty good looking replica using motorcycle gauges and panel/pilot lamps.

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's remarkable aidandj. Thanks for posting. My quick measurements tell me it'll fit perfectly. How did you find that?

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts
Same place you can find other Miata connectors. They have a really easy to use search function, by number of rows, pins etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Slow progress and still no response from the local Tyco agents re the connector so I'll go direct to the source.

I also spent a couple of hours cleaning off most the nasty stickiness and separating the harness from the gauges themselves.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Good luck with this I know someone who has a m2 console here in the UK in their 1993 roadster. I could have bought a m2 console for £60 a few years back. Wish I had as would have liked to have given this type of a project a go. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well that's a nice job getting the harness look more manageable... What'd you use to clean up the gunk?
It certainly does look more manageable stripped. I used a product my wife found some time back, De-Solv-It. It softened up the gunk and made it easy to wipe off. The MSDS warns it can deteriorate rubber but I tested it some time back and noticed no ill effect.

Good luck with this I know someone who has a m2 console here in the UK in their 1993 roadster. I could have bought a m2 console for £60 a few years back. Wish I had as would have liked to have given this type of a project a go. Good luck.
Thanks madaboutMX5s. If it ever comes up at £60 again let me know and I'll buy it :smile:

I wouldn't mind getting in contact with your mate to hear how he did things on his '93.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next move was to liberate the gauges from the cluster and to get into the speedo to either restore or replace the gauge face that had been modified during it's stay in the UK.

The gauge bezel is crimp fitted to the gauge and there was evidence of the previous efforts to get it off. Two small flat screwdrivers and a few toothpicks eventually got the bezel off but it was quite stubborn. Luckily any marking or damage to the gauge body or bezel is well hidden during normal use fitment.

The conversion to MPH can be seen more clearly in the pics below. I'm not even sure where to start trying to clean this up so I'm not going to rush anything here before I give it some thought. Any input would be most welcome.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
^^^Do this and thank me later for watching out for you, ;) I guess thank Adam too. :lol: Keep the originals for 'resale value' and have better looking faces with some custom touches if you so choose, like M2-1002 somewhere or whatever.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts