ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Your upper control arm doesnt work like that. You accomplished nothing besides making the load paths all convoluted and making the arms longer. These dont work like drop spindles at all since the ball joint rotation point stayed in the same place. Only way to do what you wanted to do in the arms is to use a upper ball joint which puts the point where it locks into the spindle taper closer to the pivot point, or somehow put the upper ball joint upside down and below the spot on the spindle that it connects to, but I dont believe thats physically possible.
On its own, youre right, the uppers wouldnt make sense, but with the lower arms (which im currently working on) the lower ball joint is also raised and lengthened but done so outside the shock mount, thus the spindle is raised. Yes, the geometry is skewed, but much less than dropping the coils all the way and this way it cost next to nothing. The only reason i raised the upper ball joint with that angle is to clear the chassis.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is beautiful.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can't wait to see more

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dayum its been awhile, again I apologize for the **** pics, but a new phone wont get this car running. Anyway, lets get some sad news out of the way...

I bet everyones wondering how the control arm disaster is coming along, the fronts are 5" wider in total. I favor a wider front wheel base from personal experience, so dont think im trendy.

I know this looks ridiculous, but it was basically free to fab up, it does the job, and i plan on improving the design (after smashing into walls or fellow hoorats).. so i aint worried.

The motor fit right up, all i had to cut was the transmission tunnel. i didnt bother cutting the firewall or pushing it back in a tight wad like these crazy autox kids, hint.. take a look at how far foward an s chassis motor sits.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This week i made a simple gearbox mount to replace the cracked aluminum one. I also started machining the rear hubs to fit the M3 halfshafts.

And now to the issue of fitting the M power to the 15" wheels.

The miata axle spline is significantly smaller than the bmw. I considered running the M3 hub and brake assembly but that would require finding 5x120 wheels and expensive tires to wrap around them. So i decided to jam the M spline in the miata rear knuckle by any means necessary

Now that i had a surface to drill a 4 lug pattern on, i needed to find some bearings that would mate the hub and the knuckle.

the closest bearing was 75mm which was 1mm larger than the miata knuckle, so it had to be machined to a press fit.

I used two thinner bearings and a spacer to emulate the original bearing

·
Registered
211 Posts
Awesome build. If you decide to sell custom 5 lug hubs let me know. I would be interested in buying a set for my volvo build

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hello forumers, I know its been a while but ive made alot of goodies that wont disappoint. First off, the hubs got some spacers tacked on to mount the miata brake rotors, theyre getting the studs machined now and thats basicaly what ive been waiting on.

Next i had the driveshaft shortened 14" and balanced at a local shop

after cutting that huge hole in the tranny tunnel for basic fitment, it was time to do some fine trimming

after the extensive front end modifications, i had to even out the rear control arms. the uppers are adjustable for camber...

the lower rears I raised an inch and a half, not as crazy as the fronts, but the rear shocks have much less travel

heres all 8 arms welded, now im waiting on new ball joints and then to have them powdercoated

the diff mounts were cake, I used 1/4" steel and the bmw bolts

for the exhuast i just cut up the stock pipes and rerouted them to fit the miata, which didnt take much as this transmission tunnel is even wider than the m3's

and here's a teaser..

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts
This is an awesome build and the fab work is truly inspiring... I know a few of my buddies will love this. Subscribed.

·
life is bitch!
2,302 Posts
^ i read your username as "jihadbait" and figured it was a reference to the Islamic State trying to recruit teenage girls from western countries to become harem slaves and eventually beheading victims.

carry on.

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts
^ i read your username as "jihadbait" and figured it was a reference to the Islamic State trying to recruit teenage girls from western countries to become harem slaves and eventually beheading victims.

carry on.
Lol Jeeze

That is a pretty intense theory though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok so i needed a seat and figured what the hell, ive fabricated everything else this far

I used 1/8" 5052 aluminum and got one piece short of 4 seats from a 4x8 sheet

I used 1/2" seat foam. ill cover these with vinyl or suede, and here's some temporary seat mounts..

the wiring harness is slowly migrating to the firewall

for the wheel i just cut off the miata steering column spline and stuck it on the m3 column.

I painted the front subframe with a spray can and just got the suspension parts back from powder coating, looks like stock stuff at a glance!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts