ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing some of my favorite car photos the other day and kept seeing all these sweet rig shots. So, I researched rigs and saw that, like most things that are fun, they're out of my price range.

Screw it, I'll build one.

...and I did, for less than 30 bucks.

Then I called up my friend Max, who happens to have a rather nice looking bugeye wrx and we had ourselves a photoshoot.

Camera setup took a little time as this was my first go-around with this contraption but I think after a while I got the hang of it. This was the result.

Max's 2002 WRX by Pat Gentilli, on Flickr

Max's WRX StreetRig by Pat Gentilli, on Flickr

Max's WRX by Pat Gentilli, on Flickr

We got some hilarious looks from people driving by while we did this. The "wtf?" look on an old person's face makes my day every time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. The shutter speed was what it was because the rig had a bit of bounce to it. Slower shutter speeds resulted in blurry everything. I'll absolutely be trying some multiple second shutter speeds when I revise the rig to be more stable.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
For a rig, the only things that really need to be expensive and beefy are the suction cups. You can pretty much pick up the rest of the stuff anywhere. Looks like you made something good!

For stability, you need thick pipe. A buddy in town has a rig with aluminum pipe. The wall thickness is insane. The pipe is about 2" thick and the hole in the center is less than 1" in diameter. Nice beefy walls. And a lot of stability. You can do as long an exposure as the sun and your ND filter stack lets you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aluminum pipe is an awesome idea. I wonder how much he spent on it. It'd be nice if I had a little wider lens so I could move the camera closer. I think the next shoot I'll be borrowing a 10-20mm to see if I can't bring the camera closer to the car, which should reduce some shake.

I'll have to look into aluminum pipe. I have no idea why I didn't think of that before. Thanks!

·
Functionally formed.
1,752 Posts
I need to make one of these. Got a guide or instructions?

Next time:
Turn the car off. No engine running = less vibrations.
Have someone push the car, that way you can do some longer shutter speeds without bounce.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha we did both of those things. Easier said than done I'm afraid. The setup was just too fidgety. This was my first attempt at it though and we did the entire shoot in about an hour, maybe less. Improvements will come! I'm going to make a video of how to make the rig. It's pretty simple really. I'll post it here when I finish it.

Pre-edit pics, straight off the camera aside from editing out the license plate real quick.

·
Registered
933 Posts
hmm how about filling the bar with that spray foam might stiffen it up and not add much weight to it just an idea :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts