ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a 3 month wait for my special order R S Watanabe's they arrived and I am STOKED :D :D :D

F: 16 x 8.5
R: 16 x 9.0

complete with centre caps and R S Watanabe wheel nuts and valve caps ( all complete with racing falcon logo !!! )

all I need to do now is save up for some rubber !

any ideas/thoughts on tyres for these would be much appreciated, car is to be used as fast road car

Attachments

·
Mufasa in Training
33,634 Posts
Nice, man. Enjoy :)

Why not go all out JDM and put some Advan Neovas on them (since they do come in 16" sizes pretty readily)?

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yummy. What offsets?
cant remember off the top of my head but I think :

F: 16 x 8.5 ET -6
R: 16 x 9.0 ET -14

don't hold me to that as I would have to look up the RSW website to check !

they are basically identical in outer rim position and diameter as the panasport split rims on Chris Lee's car

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Wow- that lip is just insane!!!!!! Very nice!

Did you have to ask them to specially machine the wheels for brake clearance? I remember Woolery had some trouble w/ brake clearance on his 16" Wats.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Whoa MAMA!

Those are beautiful.

I'm not even sure I wanna know the cost of custom-made wats!

:shock:

Good job, Michael!

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow- that lip is just insane!!!!!! Very nice!

Did you have to ask them to specially machine the wheels for brake clearance? I remember Woolery had some trouble w/ brake clearance on his 16" Wats.
no I had a friend in Japan check the fitment as someone in his club had the same dimension wheels ... they are listed as standard sizes on their website but are only made to special order hence the 3 month wait ... in the end, after they wre made they left Japan at 4:40pm on Tuesday and were waiting at my local parcel office by 2:00pm on Friday !!!
I am not running any big disc/brake kit so I am 99.9% sure that I should be okay in terms on clearance :roll:

G

·
Congratulations, those are neat-o!

Not at all trying to hijack your thread or rain on your JDM parade, Mike...

But for the info of those who are less patient...

For only $230 each (!) these Made In USA MiniLite replicas can be had in 15" in width or custom offset with only a two-week wait from L.A.

http://tinyurl.com/4jzrp

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
My refurbished Panasports are up at; http://m2-1002.blogspot.com/

Tyres: I like Goodyear GSD3s. Check Etyres for a fitted price; I found this lot to be very competitive for fitting, and its done on your doorstep. Good looking tread, rim protector, wearing well, but give good all round grip, especially at this time of year.

Yokohama A539s; some incredible pricing from Blackcircles at the moment. Bit of a strange looking tread, but most tyres seem to be heading to a monobloc design. Very good grip for the first 6000 miles, then go off a bit in wet weather performance. Soft sidewalls, so on the track, you need to run at 32-34 PSI.

Toyo T1-S; effectively obsolete now, but still a good all round tyre. Wears like butter; I'm lucky to get 8-9000 miles out of these. Can be had at a good price. Good looking tread, rim protector.

Toyo T1-R: monobloc design. i had these for a while. They're ok. Nothing spectacular. Wear a bit better than T1-Ss, but the trade off is a slight loss of grip.

Be careful; about "Advan"; Yokohama are increasingly using this as a brand across a wide range of tyres, which differ in different markets, and as a name, its becoming pretty meaningless. Personally, I'd be wary about recommendations about tyres from US users (no offence); frequently the tyres are just not available in the UK, or a different compound is used (despite similar names), or simply US roads are just so different from the UK. US roads typically have a lot less camber than here, different tarmac grade, a lot more concrete surfacing, and frankly, Americans drive slower than us, when faced with similar narrow roads.

There is a Advan neova sold here for Lotus applications thats meant to be very good; but its pricey, limited sizing, limited availability.

I would steer clear of Avon, Falkan, Hankook, Bridgestone. Michelins are available in a confusing range of compounds.

·
CR.net Supporter
350 Posts
They look superb :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts