ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright so as a few of you know, i finally got my miata the other day :D
(pic of said miata)

now..to ensure longevity of the otter, im going to be doing the following before modding ANYTHING..i want to have a good if not great jumping off point..feel me? haha

anyway..going to do:
-take it to Hiro and have them look it over
-Oil Change
-Idler Pulley
-K&N Air Filter
-Radiator Cap
-Spark Plugs
-Plug Wires
-Get the brakes flushed and filled
-New clutch fluid
-Diff fluid swap
-Timing Belt
-Valve Cover Gasket
-Front Crankshaft Seal
-Fuel Filter
-o2 Sensor
-Water Pump
-Camshaft Seals
-CAS O Ring
-clutch master cylinder
-clutch slave cylinder
-trans fluid flush
-coolant flush
-Thermostat
-PCV Valve

THEN and only then, will i be getting any "go fast" parts or anything of the aftermarket nature :D

so what do you guys think? am i going overboard here regarding my preemptive maintenance?

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
do you mean the Cam postion sensor seal? if so, whats do i search for? nothing came up..

The cam ANGLE sensor, has it's own seal but it's just an o-ring. If you take off the Camshaft gears on the front of the engine, there will be seals behind those as well. If you're going to be doing your timing belt, you might as well replace those as well.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Check out flying miata's timing belt kit. I purchased this package and it came with a great amount of seals and gaskets. Only thing that was missing were a few gasket, probably 4 of them.

2 from the water pump (which came with my water pump)

1 of the gasket for thermostat in the front of the engine

1 from the inlet coolant hose that's below the exhaust manifold.

Good luck either way and great start for your miata

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Replace ALL the coolant hoses. Buy 6-8 feet of vacuum hose and change that too.

I don't think your plan is overboard. It's smart. What is peace of mind worth to you?

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Skip on the K&N filter, just buy whatever is cheap at your local parts store. Also, if you plan on doing the camshaft/crank seals yourself, buy the Lisle seal puller off of Amazon so you don't gouge your block/head and make new leaks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Skip on the K&N filter, just buy whatever is cheap at your local parts store. Also, if you plan on doing the camshaft/crank seals yourself, buy the Lisle seal puller off of Amazon so you don't gouge your block/head and make new leaks.

Agree also ....if you don't want to buy that tool.
Take a small drill bit and drill 2 holes.
one on each side of seal, Then thread the screws into the holes and pull outward.
At the same time.....
DO NOT DRILL TO DEEP...OR THREAD SCREWS TOO DEEP!

I did this awhile ago on mine. no gouge's, scratches, nik's, of any kind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts