ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided to build a sound bar for my miata because i think its a waste to have only two of my radios outputs being used. i basically traced a windblocker on to some mdf so that it doesnt take up more space then the oem windblocker, and used sonotube to build the housings/baffels for the speakers. here it is about 70% done, still need to sand out the rough edges and decide how to cover it. im either going to use tan speaker box carpet or spray on bedliner and tan krylon fusion paint. also yes i know the sound stage is going to be screwed up.

·
Supporting Member
280 Posts
damn ur nuts LOL. i have 2 8" soundstream fronts and 2 4" soundstream on my windblocker amp. you beat me you win

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. i actually shortend the tubes to about 2 1/2 inches, they were 4 in the pics. i was planning to cover in tan speaker carpet but i think im just gonna spray paint it tan instead. im planning to redo it in the near future, probably move the speakers so they are behind the seats and not make them recessed. im really happy with the sound but then again im no audiophile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looks great! Make sure you post completed pictures of your project. I will be doing something very similar soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
actually, just finished painting it tan. we finally had a nice day of sun. its been raining on and off the last couple weeks so i only get to work on it on and off. give me a few minutes and i will upload some pics. of it.

ok updated pics added. im not happy with the color its a little lighter then i wanted but looks better then the white/mdf it was before. as you can see there are imperfections in the paint and if you look closely you see that the speakers are not spaced equally but im going to leave it like that because i plan to remake it after i get a roll bar, this does nicely for now.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Conceptually its a decent idea, but your implementation could be improved.
  • MDF is Heavy
  • The edges aren't really finished.
  • MDF is Heavy
  • There have been many other methods used which generally involve placing the speakers into the rear shelf. Why use a different approach?
  • MDF is Heavy
  • It looks look a little ... unfinished and slightly ghetto

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Conceptually its a decent idea, but your implementation could be improved.
  • MDF is Heavy
  • The edges aren't really finished.
  • MDF is Heavy
  • There have been many other methods used which generally involve placing the speakers into the rear shelf. Why use a different approach?
  • MDF is Heavy
  • It looks look a little ... unfinished and slightly ghetto
i agree with your points of it looking unfinished and ghetto, but if you read my post this is the basically a quickly fabbed up one and i will be covering it with speaker carpet next time around. i plan on remaking it in the near future but not untill i get my roll bar so that i can make it fit around the bar. the reason i did not go with speakers on the shelf is for the same reason, i dont want the speakers to not fit once i put in the roll bar. while mdf might be heavy this bar loaded with speakers probably weighs like 10 pounds, i dont really feel thats signifcant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
While MDF is heavy, it is also the material of choice for basic car audio.

Would be curious to see something like this with a roll bar.

Also, has anybody done this with fiberglass?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the sound bar is for 6.5 speakers, not subs, so the internal volume doesnt need to be that high. maybe some low profile 8 would fit and they dont require alot of space.

·
Supporting Member
743 Posts
the sound bar is for 6.5 speakers, not subs, so the internal volume doesnt need to be that high. maybe some low profile 8 would fit and they dont require alot of space.
Ah ok cool.. Just wondering if you were going to try to fit the Kicker or Pioneer shallow mount subs. 6.5" speakers would sound good, but I'd be concerned with the soundstage pulled so far back being the speakers are so close to your head (assuming coax speakers). Anyway, food for thought. Looks good though, creative solution!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts