ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 1990 Mazda Miata, the only mods are header, Jackson cat, HKS filter with RX-7 AFM, and that is about it engine wise.

The car feels quick in 1st, 2nd, and kind of feels like it dies down in 3rd I am guessing because the RPM's drop so far out of the powerband. Or it just does not have the grunt?

The car has about every form of weight reduction I can do.

My plans are a stage 2 clutch, maybe real intake tubing? It has stock pipe right now, but is relocated away from the stock position. I also want to adjust the timing, I hear this makes a big difference, can it be done safely? And what exactly part of the timing do I adjust? The belt or what? Dizzy? I am also thinking about a full exhaust. Anyother ideas for mods?

Please dont say turbo, or 1.8 swap, or nitrous. :p

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If you want to go faster put in a taller final gear ratio. If you want to go quicker put in a shorter final gear ratio.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Last weekend, my 91 1.6 got these mods:

-RX7 AFM with HKS filter
-Unknown brand header
-Jackson Racing Hi-Flow Cat
-Flying Miata resonated midpipe
-Bosal Muffler

Sounds almost like stock except for the intake, it makes a nice sound and the exhaust barely makes any noise (blame the Bosal muffler)!

When I did the timing belt/water pump last December, I bumped my timing to 14*. I was using 87 octane because it was cold out and didn't have problems. I still haven't had problems in the warmer temps here (60-70s) but I started using 89 octane JUST IN CASE.

After the exhaust/intake mods my Miata is faster than my Neon. Before the mods the race was like this:
1st gear: Miata rapes Neon
2nd gear: Miata rapes Neon
3rd gear: Neon is coming up, top of 3rd the Neon is passing
4th gear: The Neon is ahead....

After the mods:
1st gear: Miata rapes Neon
2nd gear: Miata rapes Neon
3rd gear: Miata and Neon are TOTALLY equal, no one is pulling from anyone
4th gear: Miata pulls from Neon at a steady pace

I have good power in 1st and 2nd, but the power is above 4k. Below 4k I have hardly any power. I think because the car may be running lean from the RX7 AFM. But 4k-redline is FUUUNNN and redline comes up quick!!

I am practically in the same situation as you so I figured I'd share. And btw, my car has the front speakers out... that's my weight redux lol. I say do the 14* bump, it can't hurt!! The only other "mod" I have is the OEM R package lip. Which, I felt a teeny bit on top end, aka above 100 mph. Feels slightly more planted. I didn't think I would feel anything.

Happy modding :wink:

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
k, so you've spent all this effort getting more air into your engine and haven't thought about how it comes out the back. The more air you put in the more that needs to come out. An intake alone or a header alone isn't going to make much of a difference. You need an exhaust to get the full effect of everything. Also look into getting a bipes and advancing your timing so you can run 93 octane

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know about getting an exhaust, it has a Jackson cat and I have a straight pipe for the track, but it feels even slower at low RPM's. I want to advance my timing.

And for a turbo, I want to stay NA, it is my daily, and I know turbos can lead to issues. And my driving style might not suit a turbo, unless they are reliable still at high RPM driving for long periods of time.

·
Registered
587 Posts
boost is better, throw on a greddy turbo for 1k and increase your HP by like 30%, your NA would cost you a ton for 30%. or if you want N/A feel throw on a supercharger. but its like 3x's the price. Also, driving on the track is always at high rpm and many turbo miata's do it so no worries.

and i always say, drive it til it blows =P

simon

1 - 20 of 20 Posts