ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought id share!... today i just finished my fuel cap ... its not perfect but its the first part ive overlaid with carbon fibre as a test before i try molding my fenders and stuff :D ...

and then i moved on to the headlightcovers :) ... just finished the second carbon layer ...waiting for it to dry and then ill start gelcoating :)

here are some pics :) C&C welcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuel lid is just overlaid as i dont think its gonna make any difference caused by the weight reduction :D ! ... planing on doing replacement parts for my miata and my Rx7 for weight reduction so next step is to take negative moulds of the original parts and make carbonfibre copies :) ... ive never used carbon fibre before just messed around with fiberglass aswell but i also think it turns out really nice :) I think i just needed one more clear coat on the fuel lid and then it would be perfect as it would have been perfectly flat after sanding :) ... ill keep you guys posted thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
care to share what kind of epoxy/resin your using?

sorry i couldnt tell you the text book difference between the two... but i guess there is one:dunno:

i usually refer to it as 'glue that is strong as ****' lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im using the ... ebay epoxy resin kind :D ^^... will have a look if i can find any specs 2morrow and let u know

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
sounds good. ive seen a few projects come out really nice with that max clr link that ive posted. they even have a few vids of some tips and tricks with their products, that's a nice feature too.

i will also check out us composites as well!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not a fan of unpainted carbon fiber unless it is done dry. if you're gonna do wet, you might as well use regular fiberglass. with that aside, that fuel door will look nice with an extra coat to smooth it out (since it's not there for weight savings). you could probably turn a good profit by making wet CF parts and selling them to the JDM people; they're all about CF wraps and such. especially if you can make molds of mint parts, as time and stress will warp parts to a certain extent.

·
Supporting Member
873 Posts
Is there any sort of sunscreen that can be used now? The sun seems to take it's toll on cf parts here in SoCal.
I had read that Chevy had used a process on it's cf parts for the Z06.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
yeah. you use uv resistant resin/epoxy and uv resistant clear. if you dont use uv resistant resin, i hope your uv clear is a damn good clear. (i think some guys just do uv resis. clear coat, and i know some people just send it like it came out of the mold, so you have to go get it painted yourself)

if you dont do either. you will damage the structure of your cf piece over time from the prolonged uv rays. the sun can ruin a lot of things if your not careful....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yea the epoxy you use will make a huge difference in how long it stays looking nice. Over the years I've had multiple different brands of epoxy on some of my surfboards and the lifespans ranged from a couple months to a few years. I've had certain boards yellow out and die before the foam deteriorated but one of the boards I'm riding now is pretty much un-killable and its still as white as the day I bought it. Now I'm not totally sure about the differences between epoxy used in surfboards and epoxy used for doing carbon fibre but my boards with carbon rails hold up extremely well with the resin my new company uses. Anyway i think the fuel lid looks fine...doesnt look like it needs another hot coat in the pictures

1 - 17 of 17 Posts