ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well... even if i find it, i don't think i can afford it... even if i can afford it, i think they only make it for the passenger (Japanese Driver side) side. Since I have a hot side super charger, I need one for the driver side.

GV only make it for NB2 style, not NB1. I guess it would be alot easier for NB2 since they can take out any of the three light housing, drill a hole, that's it.

well. since i am cheap, i am going to use a NB1 head light... I am going to relocate the blinker as well... and i don't want to destroy the head light part... the hose in the picture is going to be connected to the cone air filter directly...

not sure if it is going to improve anything :confused: but i am just going to have some fun making it since i am bored... :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
ive been looking at that piece for along time. im glad you went diy. the way i was gonna do it was a bit more involved lol

·
Registered
11,686 Posts
Maybe use a little bigger diameter hose? But really, this is an awesome idea. Being an NA guy, I've never even SEEN this NB part.

Your work looks great too.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ive been looking at that piece for along time. im glad you went diy. the way i was gonna do it was a bit more involved lol

how are you making yours? I am concern about the possible "bugs" that flying into the intake, so i am adding a little filter (which i think you can buy it but i cheap out and cut my old filters...) on the end of the tube ...i guess i will upload more pics after working on this tonite.

about the size of the hose... i used the blinker slot and it's pretty small... i suppose the faster you drive, the harder the wind is going to blow into the hose... and it doesn't work well when you are in reserves... haha...

if i have a NB2 style head light or if i want to cut the NB1 style head light, i am sure i can fit a bigger hose in... but for the blinker slot, I think the largest you can go is 2.5"

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think this is a pretty awesome idea, and I think you've done very nicely for a version 1.0. If you ever decide to do a 2.0 revision, I'd like to see it with a larger diameter hose and perhaps a different turn signal lens-housing. That flat topped lens-housing looks kind of weird and out of place with all the gorgeous curves on an NB. Something like a Trucklite model 30 would maybe look good.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=7887&categoryID=421

Just to give you an idea, aesthetically speaking.

Great project though! ::thumbs-up::

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah... trying to make this 1.0 as cheap as possible...

by the way, that round thing is an old miata fan ring that i have and i heated it up and bend it as much as possible to fit the curves already...

air filiter wise, I am "making" something in between the hose and intake... something that plug into a cone air filter...

now i am wondering how strong is the air sucking into the intake chamber? is silicone gluing the air filter onto the hose if it is strong enough?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you've got a conical (or cylindrical) K&N style filter, you can use an old pair of pantyhose to keep bugs and large grit out of the pleats in the filter. This is a trick I learned on my old z32. Just cut the leg off an pair of pantyhose and pull it over the outside of the filter. It will still let plenty of air through but will keep larger things like pebbles, bits of tar, small leaves, and bugs from lodging in the pleats of the filter.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
pantyhose?!!! yes! how come i didn't think of that! that is such a good idea!!!! damit i should have thought of that earlier before I cut up my old filters that's been sitting around in the garage!...

how can i mount the panthose in between the vaccum hose and the intake though? scilone? will the intake suck so hard and rip it and got it stuck in TB? Do you guys think i should try this? please look at the pictures and give me some suggesting! thx...

O, by the way, I made my own filter because i want to plug the hose directly into the filter... the one in the market is too big or to small, and they all have this big flat out sold plastic in the inside cone... i 've made mine alittle bit "sharp" also it will be connect to the hose without and bend from the head light... do you understand my diagram? can some one please comment on the concept?

here are the pictures ... please let me know what you think... tomorrow I will put the filter together and put the head light back into one piece... I have to polish the head light since the len is turning yellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Bad news...

As I've said, I used a spare vent ring from the interior on the out side so that the hole on the lens looks better... well... the connection of the hose to the ring is too big and it pushed the ring out about 0.5cm... sigh...

as you know, the hose is a vacuum hose, there is this plug on the end of the hose that go to the vaccum cleaner... i bond that with the vent ring together and put it through into the lense... I guess i didn't measure the depth of the housing correctly since i didn't clean out all the old scilione...

well... so much of my effort of bending the vent ring the curve of the lense... luckly i have a pair of garage vary eye lid switch is about the same thickness of the stick out part, so it wouldn't look too bad when the ring is sticking out a bit.... :)

things doesn't turn out too bad consider I am the first person doing this to the miata... I am waiting for every thing to dry tomorrow and will install it on the car.

by the way, can some one answer me what is this part i've circled? any idea of how to relocate it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hmm.. you're doing this a little differently than I had imagined/expected.

I don't think I'd try to pipe the hose directly into the filter, but rather just into a sealed or semi-sealed airbox compartment in the engine bay.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've just made a little plug with foam... :) even though i don't drive the car on rainly days, I am worried that what if it rain from no where. The foam plug fits into the head light in case i need to cover it up. :)

Jnshk: I made a small cone filter at the end of the vaccum tube into the K&N so it should be fine... there is also a grill in the entrance of the hose to prevent rock chips and big bugs going in. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi every one, i am wondering if anyone still reading my thread... anyway, I am wondering if there is a way to meansure intake air temperature?

I am not even sure if i am getting any gain from this :)

o, and more pictures coming tonight

·
3,857 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the pipe is always the same from filter to maf to tb and to the supercharger...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts