ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Supporting Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get more into doing stuff to my car so here is a build thread to keep up with it. First off I got it back in June of 09. I traded my 96 Land Rover Discovery for it (was selling it for a b-series pickup to bag and what not :fab:). Im glad I didn't buy it haha. It was a 96 Montego blue basically stock. It came with a HardDog SIngal Diagonal Roll Bar, Racing Beat intake, Crappy magnaflow exhaust, Voodoo shift knob, Strut bar, Cd played and some other little things. When I got it Below.

Then I went Ricer.:whistle:
Blacked out tail lights. (Not super ricer as long as there done right)

Then some rims (they were HUGEEE!!)

Made a speaker box (still there and sounds awesome IMO)

After a couple of months or so, I was like ehhh lets get low on smaller wheels. So I bought some Racelands.. I know, I know.

Then traded the MSR's for some Rota GT3's.

Rode around like that for a while and got tired of no offset so I bout some XXR 522's and put annoyingly huge tires on it (not my fault but its a lonnnnng sotry.)

Those are 195/55 falken 502's. Then I got the 195/45's

Future plans:
Motor build
Booooooost
Tein Flex
Full Cage
Sways and Bushings
New Exhaust
New Rims ( 13" CLub maybe :))
Fresh Paint
Clutch and FLywheel
and so much more haha
I will Update as much as possible but this will probably be a slow one. College kid here
Thanks everyone for looking!!:D

·
Banned
2,031 Posts
Well explain then.
I'm sure he's thinking this too...

Blacked out. I hate to say it but looks like ass no matter how you do it. My car came that way and I changed it immediately. Not to mention it dims the already dim Miata tail lights so it's not only ugly and illegal but it's not a help to safety either. The XXR 522s with the simulated "mad offset" look terrible on everything, let alone a Miata. The spokes stick out past the sidewall of the tyre. How can anyone like that look?

Racelands. That's all that needs to be said about that.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference, but the Miata really wasn't meant for marshmallow suspension, being slammed or having obnoxious heavy wheels. It's a sports car, not a Civic. That's just popular opinion. Others sway towards this style and that's alright too. At least you're safe about it and have a roll bar.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,873 Posts
JC got most of it. I really don't appreciate the "blacked out" look--no matter how well you do it. "Smoked" maybe, but blacked out, no. Additionally, you had a great look with the GT3's, but in the quest for "more offset and low" dropped it to the weeds and put on the XXR's. In the quest for offset, the wheels end up looking kind of funny once you realize that the width of the wheels doesn't really go with the offset. IOW, the wheels should be another inch or so wider to make it look right.

That's just me, though. I'm as much entitled to my opinion as you are. You don't have to care what I think, but don't be surprised if you post something up for all to see that not everyone's going to fall all over themselves to say "it looks great". I hope, however, that you find my disagreement to be at least polite.

·
^^Original User Name^^
1,910 Posts
Not to mention it dims the already dim Miata tail lights so it's not only ugly and illegal but it's not a help to safety either.
Not sure where you heard this...But here it is NOT illegal.

If the reflector is still visible with headlights on it, you're good. There is no specified light output requirement, only that they work

·
Supporting Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not really looking for anyones grace. I'm simply putting together a thread for others to read if they choose so. I plan on doing some more work with it and making it more so clean with nice fitment and a pretty quick motor. Its my DD so it'll be slow but o well.. after riding through the mountains in my friends cars with top dollar suspension and what not, I wanna drop money where the fun is gonna be now. I was about making it look cool butnot anymore. Yes I do realize this car isn't a platform for sweet stereos and flashy lights and what not. I'm open to all opinions and peoples thought. I really do miss the gt3's but I didn't wanna run spacers, so I opted something like everyone else does and went with sportmaxx. But I got some more pictures to post of what all has been done so far so if you want keep checking in. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,031 Posts

If the reflector is still visible with headlights on it, you're good. There is no specified light output requirement, only that they work
Well everybody down here gets tickets for it. But they're also the ones who all drive like asses so it could go either way.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,873 Posts
I'm not really looking for anyones grace. I'm simply putting together a thread for others to read if they choose so. I plan on doing some more work with it and making it more so clean with nice fitment and a pretty quick motor. Its my DD so it'll be slow but o well.. after riding through the mountains in my friends cars with top dollar suspension and what not, I wanna drop money where the fun is gonna be now. I was about making it look cool butnot anymore. Yes I do realize this car isn't a platform for sweet stereos and flashy lights and what not. I'm open to all opinions and peoples thought. I really do miss the gt3's but I didn't wanna run spacers, so I opted something like everyone else does and went with sportmaxx. But I got some more pictures to post of what all has been done so far so if you want keep checking in. Thanks.
I'll be keeping up with it :)

Good luck on the future build work.

·
Closed Shell Syndrome
7,676 Posts

What genius came up with that idea?! You can't see them, but they work so it's alright.
Smoked, blacked out, anything in my book looks like a hot steaming bowl of Auto Zone rice.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thats a nice car you got to start with, but I really dont like 522's. I am glad to see you are looking to upgrade the suspension, I dont know if the flex's are the best choice but thats your call. Wish my car came with that roll bar, you should sell it to me.

·
Supporting Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well everybody down here gets tickets for it. But they're also the ones who all drive like asses so it could go either way.
I got pulled over once at night. Cop said my tail lights were dim and should get them checked out. Haha

I guess it would be a pain in the ass to carry a lumen meter???

Like older cars where the brake lights are dim, but still work...

anyway, I really like this car
Thank you.

Thats a nice car you got to start with, but I really dont like 522's. I am glad to see you are looking to upgrade the suspension, I dont know if the flex's are the best choice but thats your call. Wish my car came with that roll bar, you should sell it to me.
Im really undecided what Susupension really. I was thinking also maybe some Stance or BC.

·
Supporting Member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
*News Time*
Bought a used motor today for $210. Seems like everything is good on it (but I wont know until I put it in).

Here are the cams, look ok?

And here is the intake, I think some cleaning up here will do also. Nothing big just a clean of all the carbon.

I plan on putting this one in with a new clutch and motor mounts in the next few weeks when I get the time. Im gonna rebuild the one in my car and boost it hopefully by next year if stuff goes right.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts