ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to shove the Sparco Ergo (medium) into a Miata?* I've heard it's possible to do however the height and the width both look to be problematic with that seat.

I'm currently trying to make the medium Sparco Ergo fit using a PCI adjustable mount using the oem seat attachment points so I can swap between the stock seats and the Sparcos for track days.

Any ideas on how to make it fit?* I don't mind removing or cutting the interior door panel but the height seems to be a problem too by hitting the window trim on the hardtop depending on the position I put the seat in.* I think if I can get the mount position right though and far enough back I can avoid that.* I've already "massaged" the trans tunnel so that it will let the mount line up w/ the OEM seat mounting holes as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When you say hitting the window trim on the hardtop, do you mean the literal back window? Or are the 'shoulders/ears' of the seat hitting the left side of the hardtop/door panel area? Where the side latches/brackets are?
I've seen that problem with people that try and hammer in a seat that's too wide up there, and just deal with slamming the door shut, or as, you've said, cutting up the panel could work.
Hammering the trans tunnel takes care of the girth problem down below

And another dumb question to be sure, when you say you're using the OEM attachment points, you mean the car-side points, right?
You're not doing something weird like using the PCI side mounts on the OEM seat rails (if that's even possible), are you?
If you are, that may be part of the reason why it's up so high
Sorry for all the vague questions

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say hitting the window trim on the hardtop, do you mean the literal back window? Or are the 'shoulders/ears' of the seat hitting the left side of the hardtop/door panel area? Where the side latches/brackets are?
I've seen that problem with people that try and hammer in a seat that's too wide up there, and just deal with slamming the door shut, or as, you've said, cutting up the panel could work.
Hammering the trans tunnel takes care of the girth problem down below

And another dumb question to be sure, when you say you're using the OEM attachment points, you mean the car-side points, right?
You're not doing something weird like using the PCI side mounts on the OEM seat rails (if that's even possible), are you?
If you are, that may be part of the reason why it's up so high
Sorry for all the vague questions
The shoulders / top part of the seat of the seat are hitting the window trim portion of the hardtop. It's also hitting the door panel but I can cut that to make it fit if I need to.

By OEM attachment points, I am referring to the 4 14mm bolts that hold the OEM seat to the floor. I'm using a PCI adjustable seat mount (http://www.pci-racing.com/product/adjustable-seat-mounts/). No OEM seat rails... those are still attached to the stock seats.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh, alright got ya.
I googled the seat, and I was expecting more of a normal Recaro SPG shaped seat.
You're dealing with THIS dude

I looked up some dimensions to see what you were dealing with, and that seat is TALL, man.

Your run of the mill Recaro SPG is over 100mm shorter by comparison

This guy on miataturbo has a circuit 2 seat, and the dimensions are similar.
https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/race-seat-thread-91760/#post1385979

The posts lists what he had to do, bashing, Garage Star rails, and his fits

His seat dimensions for reference-

ACTUALLY, I just looked further down and found some guy with an Ergo in his car, and everything he had to do to get it to fit,

check it out, https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/race-seat-thread-91760/#post1386659

Doesn't have any pics with the top on, however

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, jeez! That's a ton of work. Good find, I didn't see that seat in the thread before. That doesn't look like fun at all.

I am not that tall though so maybe I can just keep wrestling w/ it to make it fit like the guy w/ the Circuit II did. I'm going to keep messing w/ it.

Thank you very much for the links. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Garagestar rails are the answer to pretty much any seat. I fit my Cobra Suzuka Pro GT(wide version) in my NA with no issues at all centered on the steering wheel and didnt even need to "modify" the trans tunnel.

·
Administrator
15,319 Posts
Cobras have very narrow bases.

That sort of fitment isn't the case with pretty much any of the "normal" seats used in Miatas, even with GS brackets.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Cobras have very narrow bases.

That sort of fitment isn't the case with pretty much any of the "normal" seats used in Miatas, even with GS brackets.
Elise/Exige seats also have a narrow base and fit really well. I'm not a fan of most of these race buckets since they look way too big inside the Miata.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts