ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update 12/1 - Two new RS3s are on their way from Tire Rack. A big thank you to everyone who gave their input.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all. So, I was going about 20mph last night when I impacted something on my left side. It was either a massive pothole or a curb; I don't really know, as it was really dark at the time. Both tires compressed to the point where the wheels impacted whatever I hit. A section of each sidewall was pinched and is now damaged. My alignment seems fine (no pull at speed) but my wheel is slightly off center. The LCAs and subframe seem fine, but I haven't measured anything. The wheels don't vibrate at speed.

My question: I have a track day in 3 weeks. My choices are to do nothing (not happening), buy 1 tire, buy 2 tires, buy 2 tires and 1 wheel, or buy 2 tires and 2 wheels. I'm somewhat on a budget (PT job, college student). Please help me evaluate my situation: how does the damage look, and what is your opinion?

Pics -------------------------------------

FRONT

Side profile

Sidewall and wheel damage

Note the vertical "cracks" on the 1st and 2nd treads from the left

REAR

Side profile

Sidewall and wheel damage

·
Registered
304 Posts
see this all the time at work. it looks only cosmetic. so unless there is a big bubble in the side wall, you should be good.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked it up used with brand new tires (and a used set of NT01s) for 750. New it should be 110/wheel, 110/tire, so 880 before tax and S/H.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yeah what they said. Spray some water or something on that part of the rim and if it is not leaking and you do not have a bubble you are all set.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On a side note, you're doing a track day with Raybestos brake pads? :| Or are you rocking their race pads?
Probably not their race pads. Previous owner had them installed. I've honestly just never read the lettering on the pad. :p

Edit: thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll get a set of YellowStuff pads in before the track day.

·
Administrator
15,243 Posts
I definitely wouldn't trust that front tire. I wouldn't run the rear on track, either, but it's probably ok for street duty.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Wheels are fine.

Now about the tires: do what will make you the most comfortable. The last thing you need on a race day is a lingering thought in the back of your mind that might prevent you from giving every turn/straight/whatever, your undivided attention.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wheels are fine.

Now about the tires: do what will make you the most comfortable. The last thing you need on a race day is a lingering thought in the back of your mind that might prevent you from giving every turn/straight/whatever, your undivided attention.
this. your safety is worth more than a few hundred dollars. wheels are definitely okay, spend the extra bill and get two rs3s.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ive seen alot worse than this come in when i was a tech, I'd suggest an alignment check to make sure nothing is bent, but the wheels and tires should hold up just fine

·
Registered
46 Posts
wheel looks fine, sidewall seems just cosmetic, but ide keep an eye on it from time to time cuz if it were to give you any problems in the future, that would be the first place i would check. save the $ and go pound down some brew and curse that pothole away.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

Two new 225/45/15 R-S3s are on their way from Tire Rack and should arrive well before the car's inaugural track day.

And to everyone who chimed in - thank you! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts