ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a sunny day today, and coincidentally, my first day off in nearly a month! Off came the hardtop, and I went for a drive. On my way home I cooked around a hard left corner, and booked down the straightaway where I soon smelled burning oil. Figuring the car i'd just passed was burning some I glanced into my rearview and realized IT WAS ME!

Oh no. nonononononono... I don't want to rebuild my engine. Crap, crap, crap!

I'm putting down a smoke show worthy of Spy Hunter here. Oil pressure still read normal though. What the hell? I watch a car come up next to me with their headlights on, and I can barely see them through the smoke. I stop for a corner, trying to baby the car home as long as the oil pressure holds out because I don't have my phone on me to call for backup. When i stop.. the whole car fills with smoke, and i fill with dread.

I resign myself to an engine rebuild. I throw the 4-ways on and limp my way home waiting for the engine to sieze. It never does. I get home, shut her down, and pop the hood.

I'm looking for the worst, and I don't see it. What i do see is this; my extra oil bottle that i used to keep under the hood resting on the header, having vented a half-quart of Mobil1 all over my header all the way home.

Whoops. So beginneth Matt's Roadster Lesson of the day.

In the Neon, the spare oil bottle lives on top of the PCM.
In the WRX it lived in front of the battery.
In the S, it's next to the airbox.

From here on out, the lesson is, Oil lives in the TRUNK... in all my cars.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Haha thats too funny. My brother did the same thing a few years ago when he had an integra

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
I had mine in the trunk last semester, leaked and tinted all my books/notes blue. lol
Previous owner of my car must have done the same thing, all the carpet was basically ruined so I threw it out. I still couldnt get rid of alot of the oily residue thats absorbed into the padding in the trunk. so I have a ghetto ass rubber floor mat just covering up the floor of the trunk so I can actually use it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:28 pm]why did it not occur to you to pull over and turn off the car when it started to smoke?
It fully occurred to me. I didn't want to stop and not have the car start again somehow. I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell, nobody to help bail me out, and all my needles showed good.

I figured if that much smoke came out, the motor had already catastrophically failed, and I was gonna nurse it as close to home as I could so as to minimize the what at that point would have been a ~10 mile walk. The plan was once I saw the oil pressure drop, i'd find a house or similar.

I nursed it home at 40mph in 5th and showed good pressure the whole time. Figured since I was gonna be in for a rebuild anyhow, I might as well not have a rebuild AND a walk ahead of me. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
consider yourself lucky - i've had two engine fires over the years because i forgot to put the oil cap back on when topping off!

·
2,708 Posts
Thats hilarious. Don't worry, the AssClown Of The Decade Award goes to the M3 owner that changed his oil but forgot to put the fill-cap back on, proceeded to take it out for a drive, realized he forgot to put the cap on so he stuffed it with a rag or sock and proceeded to have the sock sucked into the engine,lol.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I still like the story of the guy with an ML450 who accidentally drained his transmission fluid and put an extra eight quarts of oil in his engine.

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts
Thats hilarious. Don't worry, the AssClown Of The Decade Award goes to the M3 owner that changed his oil but forgot to put the fill-cap back on, proceeded to take it out for a drive, realized he forgot to put the cap on so he stuffed it with a rag or sock and proceeded to have the sock sucked into the engine,lol.
If thats first, then I think the guy who put the Lotus elise on the lift and dropped it is a close second....

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Well, be thankful the oil didn't catch fire and end up costing you more than a rebuilt motor.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't had a spare tire in 6 years

1 - 20 of 24 Posts