ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazdaspeed mx5 turbo compressor oil seal failure so I have to replace my turbo. Im going to take a lot of pictures. Im going to take off my intercooler to clean the oil out & also part of the intake manifold. Im going to buy a electrical impact wrench.

My car has been sitting for about a month because I try not to drive on the roads when they are salted because of snow & ice.

Before I installed my new injectors I recall hearing my turbo whine slightly.

I going to try to write up a how to for the removal & install of a Mazdaspeed mx5 turbo with lots of pics.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The entire intake & intercooler piping had oil coating it when I took it apart, from the filter & mass air flow meter to the intake manifold. I did not have to remove the front bumper to get the intercooler off the Maszdaspeed mx5. I removed it out the below. The intercooler had about 1/3 of a quart of oil in it.

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Having a ton of oil in the intake tract is typical of a Mazdaspeed that is boosting higher than the stock 11.5. You may want to consider replacing the factory catch can with an aftermarket one with higher capacity and better venting.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a picture of my workbench for now. If anybody needs a picture of something specific while I have everything apart I can take one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the electric impact wrench I bought from Northern tools for $59 on sale. I used it to help remove the 3 downpipe nuts.

I borrowed a set of metric stud removal & installation tools from Autozone for free you just leave a deposit then when you return the tools they refund you your deposit. I was able to remove all the studs from the head to exaust manifold that were worn or stripped & the studs from the turbo. The tool will not damage the threads.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are some pics from my replacement stock IHI turbo that Im going to put on my car. I used a small wire brush & metal polish to shine up the outside of the compressor. I bought the turbo a while back off ebay for $250.

The compressor wheel close up

The turbine wheel close up

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I polished the inside of the turbo outlet casting. It felt like sandpaper inside before, now it is real smooth inside.

before

after. I polished even more after i took this picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a reason why you didn't send your new turbo in to a 3rd party like turbochargers.com or blouche (spelling?) to have the compressor wheel swapped and wastegate porting/flapper work done? It's almost like you might as well since it's so much labor to swap turbos.

I guess cost would be a big issue since you'd want to get an aftermarket ecu and injectors to take full advantage of it, but trust me, it's worth it!

I probably went too far trying to prevent boost creep by asking turbochargers.com to clip my turbine wheel. I think it delayed my spool quite a bit, but at least there's no boost creep.

Good job so far. My friend and I had a ton of problems doing this job, but you make it seem so easy! It was definitely a learning experience for us.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Yeah, you should check that out. /\ The result is much more reliable boost and better spool. Quite a difference has been reported form those who have had it done. There is even potential for up to 20 more hp on higher boost. The stock IHI runs out of gusto after 13 lbs. A ported and compressor wheel swapped one will boost efficiently up to 15 lbs.

BTW, your stuff looks really clean! Even the old turbo! How many miles on this stuff?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a reason why you didn't send your new turbo in to a 3rd party like turbochargers.com or blouche (spelling?) to have the compressor wheel swapped and wastegate porting/flapper work done? It's almost like you might as well since it's so much labor to swap turbos.

I guess cost would be a big issue since you'd want to get an aftermarket ecu and injectors to take full advantage of it, but trust me, it's worth it!

I probably went too far trying to prevent boost creep by asking turbochargers.com to clip my turbine wheel. I think it delayed my spool quite a bit, but at least there's no boost creep.

Good job so far. My friend and I had a ton of problems doing this job, but you make it seem so easy! It was definitely a learning experience for us.

Cheers,
Dan
I would like to upgrade my turbo but Im poor. I can not afford a turbo upgrade right now. The Turbo cost me $250 off ebay & it looks like turbochargers . com will cost $250 mimimum + shipping costs which will bring the total cost to up to $500+ just for the turbo. Taking the turbo off again later on is not that difficult if I decide to do it later. Ill have to learn more about the upgrade options & what they actually do before I do an upgrade also. I want the best for my money. I would want to find out which the best compressor wheel is for a turbo upgrade. If I upgrade my turbo in the future ill skip the clipping of the turbine wheel.
Ill probably get an inexpensive ebay intercooler as my next upgrade in the future then upgrade the turbo later on. My car is pretty fast right now with the water meth kit though & I recently upgraded water meth injector to a 5gph & the fuel injectors to the denso 321cc.

Im way to poor to ever get an aftermarket ECU so that is out.

My stock ECU needs to be repaired so I can pass emissions inspection. Here is where Im getting it fixed inexpensive http://www.goecm.com/index.php and my FM downpipe catalytic converter material broke apart inside when I disconnected my midpipe out of curiosity to hear what it sounds like. I drove like 7 miles from my house & back & I think the resonant frequency of the noise created, vibrated the catalyst material loose, & may have even cracked the turbine housing on the turbo. So don’t disconnect your midpipe on your mazdaspeed mx5's. So I have to get another FM downpipe or have the one I have repaired if that is possible. I sold my stock downpipe because I didn’t think I would need it.

Im going to make a good how to once I finish with torques for everything, pics, & tips for people who want to remove & replace or upgrade their turbo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice little writeup. Any chance you could sell me the wastegate actuator and bracket off your blown turbo? :)
I read some of your earlier posts. Sure you can have the wastegate actuator. Just pay shipping.

Is this all you need?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my car put back together today & it started right up the first time. Wahoooo. Now i have to write up the how to R & R a mazdaspeed mx5 turbo with a tun of pics which my take some time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts