ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an Ebay scrounger, I'll admit it, sometimes you can find some pretty good stuff at a good price amongst all the crap.

Well get the point right? I've been thinking of a rollbar for a long time and have almost hit send button on the order form for a Boss Frog many times over. Well, I ran across this and had to have it ... shipping cost me as much as I paid for it but I think I'll be happy with it :D.

Does anyone know if it's a pretty rare piece? I've only seen pics of one installed that was polished so if anyone has any other pics please post them out there so I know what I'm doing when I put it on! I have the install instructions for both the Hard Dog and Boss Frog bars so I should be able to improvise but if anyone has instructions laying around I'd really appreciate a scan of that as well! Thanks in advance guys!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Awesome! That's one of my favorite looking roll bars, second only to the M2-1001 / Arrive bar. There are several folks in the Philippines with this roll bar (JoeyB's friends) who may have instructions to share but I can guarantee they won't be printed in English. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
THat IS nice looking. I would be weary of the bolt together roll bars if I ever planned on tracking the car as they might not pass tech inspection at US tracks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I'm not really a fan of polished roll bars, but this one is pretty damn nice. How much do those go for?

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! That's one of my favorite looking roll bars, second only to the M2-1001 / Arrive bar. There are several folks in the Philippines with this roll bar (JoeyB's friends) who may have instructions to share but I can guarantee they won't be printed in English. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?
I got it for £102 .... unfortunately the £ to $ rate really, really sucks right now.

Yep, a car from the PI is the only pic I've seen one installed, can't seem to find it right now but I found a bunch of pics in black off of Cardomain and most of those were in the PI as well ... so if anyone is reading over there let me know if you have an install sheet or some pics!

I've read that these types of bars aren't legal via SCCA but is that for everything? I just now checked the SCCA rules for SOLO, http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2007SoloRules.pdf, page 211 is roll bars and it sounds like it should pass Tech to me. I've taken my car out a couple of times, I don't think that I missed my calling as a race car driver but I would like it to be legal when I head back out there.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
That's why I said "may not pass tech." It's entirely going to depend on the sanctioning body of the event and the track.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good find! Congratulations!

I have a roll bar exactly like that, check out my car's pics in the garage.

There're 4 that I know of here in Manila, 2 in chrome and 2 powder coated black. My friends and I got all 4 of them from the local Mazdaspeed Sports Factory, that's all they had. There may be more installed on old cars that have been imported from Japan down south in Cebu.

The main hoop simply bolts onto the seatbelt towers like a cockpit brace. The support bars bolt on the rear shelf to existing holes. Just lift the carpet and insulation from the rear shelf, you can't miss the 3 holes per bar where they're supposed to go. However, the kit brand new did have several spacers that were of varied thicknesses and longer bolts than the stock bolts they replace.

If the holes on the car don't line up with the holes on the bar it's just a matter of getting the chassis to flex a bit with a jack to get 'em to line up.

Hope this helps.

joeyb

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sweet man, i'm looking to get one of those in the near future. What did you pay in USD for the product shipped if you don't mind me asking...?

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Rarity; you get a fair few of them over here, in various finished.I'm not sure they really qualify as a rollbar, but they are a bit more than a style bar. How the rear stays hold up in a roll is dubious, but they look good.

Of course, conversely, the exchange is great for the UK; its always been good for us. But then, we're paid less than you lot.

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JoeyB ... thanks for replying and giving me the quick rundown on installation!!! Sounds simply enough but if you have the time would you mind sending me a few pics around the mounting points??? All bolts and plates are supposed to come with it so hopefully they'll make it in the box!

I'll have to e-mail the buyer and see if he knows any of the history, I'm sure it came from an import that they were breaking but they might now a little bit more.

Your car was the pic I remember seeing ... I always loved it along with your interior!!!

If I ever pull into Manilla the San Miguel's on me!!!

LateralSpeed ... the winning bid ended up being $198.74 :D, shipping was quoted a tad more though :shock:. Hopefully once it's boxed up and sent out they'll send me back the extra because I have a hard time believing that it would cost that much to post ... but I agreed to it before hand and factored it in when I bid so I can't cry about it now.

Roadsternut ... I would have eventually gotten a Boss Frog bar since they are pretty beefy before this and I'll agree that I bought it for the looks vice protecting my melon. It should hold decent, using JoeyB's decscription it uses all factory mounting points but I'm sure it was originally sold without any rollover guarantee ... hopefully I'll never find out either!!!

The GBP never has translated too well in $$$'s but it's especially bad right now, usually it's well under $2 ... can you still get a pint for a pound??? Never been to England but I've pulled into Gibraltar on occasion!

Shopping Ebay UK is always nice though, with all the Japan imports you get quite a few used JDM parts on the market and there's not the language barrier plus most are willing to ship!

Thanks for the positve comments guys, I'm stoked!!!

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
Nice find! There is a very interesting optional accessory for that particular rollbar, it is a 3 piece plastic wind screen 'shroud' thing. I'll post some pics when I get home.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
JRoadsternut ... I would have eventually gotten a Boss Frog bar since they are pretty beefy before this and I'll agree that I bought it for the looks vice protecting my melon. It should hold decent, using JoeyB's decscription it uses all factory mounting points but I'm sure it was originally sold without any rollover guarantee ... hopefully I'll never find out either!!!

The GBP never has translated too well in $$$'s but it's especially bad right now, usually it's well under $2 ... can you still get a pint for a pound??? Never been to England but I've pulled into Gibraltar on occasion!

Shopping Ebay UK is always nice though, with all the Japan imports you get quite a few used JDM parts on the market and there's not the language barrier plus most are willing to ship!

Thanks for the positve comments guys, I'm stoked!!!
Thinking about it, I think it would be pretty easy to make this bar much more structural. It will depend how mush clearance you have to space the bar up. By attaching the rear stays to a large steel plate, you will create something that will spread the load, like the Aussie Brown Davis bar which is CAMS (Aussie Motorsport) approved:

Safety Devices had the same approach with a twin hoop bar.

Where the bar fits to the seatbelt towers, it will need to be spaced up with a washer.

Worth a think. You'll probably need to open up those M6-sized bolt holes on the rear shelf, to M8 or M10. Plus upgrade the bolts to 8s or 9s.

£1 a pint. I remember a long while ago you could get a pint of rough Mild for undera quid. These day, you are more likely to pay £2.50-2.70 a pint. $5+ a pint....

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It got here today!!! Fast shipping but it should have been for what I paid!

It's in great shape and shines up very nice! only thing is the last "D" on the Mazdaspeed sticker is scratched up and there were only a few bolts shipped with it so it looks like I'll be making a few trips the autoparts store this weekend!

Anyrate, I'll post pics when it's in!

·
Supporting Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright guys ... bad news and good news ....

Bad news is that it doesn't fit with a glass window top ... at least mine it doesn't. I was wondering about and was hoping that with the supports being more upright that it would clear but nope!

Good news is that I'll probably sell it off so if anyone's interested I'm going to be typing up an ad to post here along with some other stuff I have lying around. I won't sell it for a loss though and shipping would be extra.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts