ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After seeing ISC racing's kit to use the chrysler app MSD coils for the 1.6, I decided that i'd finally have a use for that coil i had in a box of neon stuff leftover from my neon days. From what I understand, the miata coil is 26kv and the neon coil is something like 32-36kv, so there's an upgrade to be had here.

I'm afraid i didn't photograph every single step, so i'll do my best to explain.

Here's where i started, with a normal 1.6 valve cover:

First, I simply sat the coil on the valve cover and bravely closed the hood. Hood clearance was not a problem, and the final position of the coil is a bit closer to that hood brace.

Then I made a mock-up out of cardboard:

I measured the bolt-hols and made a a mockup of a bracket for the coil out of cardboard:

Here's the drawing i made from that:

A friend of mine has a bunch of machine shop stuff in his garage, so he made this nifty aluminum mounting plate from the drawing out of scrap aluminum sheet:

He also trimmed down some tubing so that the plate would sit nicely above the valve cover:

We had to make the tubing standoffs a bit shorter before the final fitment with the ingition wires. Caldera hooked me up with his original equipment mopar wires for some extra WTF factor. :)

Once i spliced the wiring together, it started up and ran just fine! I just matched up the wires from the miata coil, 2-3 went to the right terminal on the neon plug, and 1-4 went to the left terminal on the neon plug, common ground goes to the center terminal on the neon plug.

I haven't driven the car tonight, as it has been raining; but i don't imagine the results will be too dramatic since my motor is essentially stock. However, it was a fun project to take on. Thanks for looking!

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
oh no you didn't. but you did. and i like, and i also have a few coil packs :)

the neon wires were long enough, wow who knew!

whats to gain from this?

edit: went to the site...

"
Provides 36,000 volts for hotter spark
We have seen as much as 6HP increase

Easy to install, bolt on and splice 3 wires
Will work on any computer"

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
where can i get one and whats the horsepower gain? and sometime could i get you to fab me up one of those brackets?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drove the car today, there is certainly an improvement at part throttle. My car probably runs a bit on the rich side due to the untuned RX-7 airflow meter, so this seems less prone to missfire under a rich mixture. I am sure the dead thermosensor for the ECU is causing it to run rich as well, so this is good stuff!

this is interesting. may sound like a n00b but if i done this i could mount the coil wherever i wanted right?
Yes, however you'd be on your own as far as ignition wires go. I've seen on other cars where you can pull the boots apart and mix&match. In my location you can use an OEM wireset from a DOHC chrysler engine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I still have a MSD coil from my DSM N/T days do you think I would be able to use this on my 99'. I don't know if the NB's coil pack is stronger than the 1.6 or not, we all know it's going to go out sooner or later anyway why not replace it now.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I <3 DIY stuff, bravo

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It went pretty well:

But that's another topic for discussion later. :) I can't say i can really tell a difference full-throttle performance-wise (as was my expectation), but the engine is definitely happier at daily driver type speeds and loads.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great job!
I believe an igniter from a 1.6 is needed to install on the 1.8 cars though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am attempting the same upgrade as my stock coil has died. Can you better describe what wires go where.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts