ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking through the Mecha-Doc website and looking at their demo car, which has apparently a 10.6 1/4 mile, 500+ps 1.9L BP, that it's using some Nissan parts in the valvetrain. Based on Babelfish translations, it seems like they use VG30DETT (300zx TT) valves and RB26 (Skyline GTR) retainers and valve springs.

I hadn't heard of this before. Can anyone shed some light on this, from previous experience or translating the website a little better?

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I don't know specifics on the Mecha-Doc motor but I think using valves from other applications is a relatively common practice. I know Volvo guys who pick up lightly used stainless steel and titanium valves from stock car racers for pennies on the dollar (most race parts trickle down from professionals to privateers in this way). The head and/or valves are then precision machined to work properly together. I haven't measured yet but I have a sneaking suspicion that no matter what I do the valves from a SBC will be too large to use in my B6.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Doesn't really surprise me. I remember a big thread on Honda-Tech a while back where guys were buying dirt-cheap forged pistons from like mexican Pajero's or something because they fit the D-series motors and handled boost pretty well.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know about interchangability, Miatas have been using Volvo valve springs for quite some time. The fact that they're using somewhat widely available Nissan parts is what interests me. I want to know how much work is needed to use them and what advantages they provide over products currently available for the Miata.

·
3,542 Posts
Our local race Miata engines have more Honda parts than Mazda! they actually sound like B16 engines when they're racing! :lol:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't look like it to me either, but that's what the description said, "Side - The 200mm blister fender (the garage very)."

I think I've seen something similar on Puerto Rican drag cars though, can't remember.

Mecha-Doc has a message board, maybe you can find someone to ask on it.

Pics from the diary, back in 2004.

M

·
0 Posts
it seems like they use VG30DETT (300zx TT) valves and RB26 (Skyline GTR) retainers and valve springs.

I hadn't heard of this before. Can anyone shed some light on this, from previous experience or translating the website a little better?
I can!

When I was having the head built for my car (still under construction...) I contacted Supertech because I heard they were who FM got their valvetrain parts from.

At the time, FM was only having them manufacture +1mm intake valves, but I wanted to do both intake and exhaust. So Willy at Supertech figured out that the 300ZX valves had the correct head and stem diameters and stem length.

The only problem was the keeper grooves were the wrong shape for the Miata keepers and the Nissan keepers wouldn't sit right in the the Supertech retainers.

So what we had to do was customize the grooves in the Nissan valves (which is not an easy task once the valves are already heat-treated). But we got it done.

As is the story of my life on this project car, after paying a premium for custom parts, before I got around to having my head assembled, FM had commissioned Supertech to manufacture the Miata-specific +1mm exhaust valves that they now sell.

Such is the high cost of surfing the bleeding edge...

:-({|=

Bill

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Whatever it is, that drag car is friggin' hideous (although I don't doubt that it's fast as all get out...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts