ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my torsen differential from my 99' break on me after being rear ended. I had it replaced at my mom's friend's shop. This was a while back in october.
The mechanic affirmed that the replacement differential is a torsen, and shows it on the invoice.

After I got my car back, I noticed that it handled at lot differently, and discovered that I had received an open diff.

But I was slow on dealing with it with my mechanic, and after getting into an accident a month later, I was really not focused on getting the differential issue corrected.
Fast forward to two weeks ago, I finally take it in, and I convince him that he mistakenly given me an open.

I, naturally, ask him to replace it for the torsen differential that was promised. He tells me that he can't do anything about it, since it's been past 3 months and he can't return the old one. But he did agree to do the labor free of charge if I happened to buy a torsen.
I bought the open differential with housing from him for $500.
I don't think anyone would want to buy an open differential on ebay. Any ideas where I could sell it? Planet miata?

Should I expect him to replace it for me?

I'm so bummed out. :cry:
I'm expecting to lose about $200 on this from buying the torsen and selling the open.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
But I was slow on dealing with it with my mechanic... He tells me that he can't do anything about it, since it's been past 3 months and he can't return the old one....Should I expect him to replace it for me?
People make mistakes. Sure, one could argue that the mechanic should have installed the proper differential in the first place. But if you felt there was an issue you should have dealt with sooner than you did. The mechanic doesn't want to get hosed by some slacker who comes back 3 months later to complain about a problem that you identified immediately but failed to report. And now you want a free repair? For all he knows you might be trying to rip him off by removing the Torsen he allegedly installed and claiming he didn't do the job you paid for.

The goodwill gesture to install another differential is his effort to keep you as a happy, long-term customer. He's under no legal obligation to do anything unless a court orders him to do so. You might have a legal leg to stand on assuming you could convince a judge but I don't think it'd be worth your time/effort/money to go that route unless you have extensive personal experience with small claims court. Suck it up, pay to get the differential replaced (by another shop even if you no longer feel comfortable with your "mom's friend's" shop who apparently doesn't know the difference between an open and lsd) and move on. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I was a bit vague in my original post.
It's not as simple as being a "slacker".
I did complain the second day I got the car back, as I felt that the car handled a lot differently. I tried to confirm with the mechanic if I did indeed get a torsen, rather than an open, and for him to explain why it handles differently. He was remained firm on his stance and continued to reassure me that it's impossible for me to have gotten an open diff. He explained that my old differential was probably worn out to have handled so much differently.
I didn't think much of it for a few months until I actually read about the differences of a torsen and an open differential. I realized that my new one handled a lot like how the open one handles.
It wasn't until I really did a lot of research and asking around until I had enough evidence to go back to prove my case.

Well, either way, I guess it's all moot now.

So right now, I'm just trying to sell my open diff, and hoping I won't lose out too much getting the torsen.
Any ideas where I can sell my open?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Unless you have visually inspected the diff by pulling halfshafts there is no real conclusive evidence that you have an open. Not saying youre wrong...just saying. ;)
Of course the fact you paid only $500 for a 'torsen' could be considered evidence...that should have made you suspect.
In any case I agree with above statement...lesson learned, move on.

·
Registered
720 Posts
damn man that sucks
hopefully you get everything straightened out
you sound pretty calm
if it were me id be pretty pissed @ the mech

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unless you have visually inspected the diff by pulling halfshafts there is no real conclusive evidence that you have an open. Not saying youre wrong...just saying. ;)
Of course the fact you paid only $500 for a 'torsen' could be considered evidence...that should have made you suspect.
In any case I agree with above statement...lesson learned, move on.
Well from what I was told, it was impossible for me to have gotten a torsen, since the diff he pulled was from a 2001. Supposedly, only the open diff on the 2001 model would work on my 99', as all of the 2001 models with torsens have 6 speeds, while my 99 is a 5 speed.

I asked my mechanic if he could help pull the half shafts. He said that would take way too much work as he would have to take the whole thing apart. I don't exactly have all the tools to do it myself either.

But from what I know, it handles just like the description of what an open diff should handle. When I try to power overslide, all I get is wheel spin and my car just gets stuck. Before with my torsen, I would easily power overslide.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another test for a good VLSD is to jack up the rear with both rear wheels in the air. A good VLSD will turn both rear wheels in the same direction when manually turning the drive shaft. The open unit (or toasted VLSD) will turn the wheels in the opposite directions

·
Registered
765 Posts
Well from what I was told, it was impossible for me to have gotten a torsen, since the diff he pulled was from a 2001. Supposedly, only the open diff on the 2001 model would work on my 99', as all of the 2001 models with torsens have 6 speeds, while my 99 is a 5 speed.

Transmission type shouldnt change fitment, just rear gear ratio...either one should 'fit' just fine so that would be inconclusive.
Again, I am not saying youre observations arent correct, they just dont add up to "proof". Only visual inspection is really that. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Another test for a good VLSD is to jack up the rear with both rear wheels in the air. A good VLSD will turn both rear wheels in the same direction when manually turning the drive shaft. The open unit (or toasted VLSD) will turn the wheels in the opposite directions
This is a Torsen question/issue...not VLSD
If it was VLSD just looking at the external part of the stub shafts would be all thats required to determine which it is. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that's what I was basically getting at.
The gear ratio for the 6 speed is different from my 5 speed. Therefore, the gear ratio of the torsen on a 2001 model wouldn't work with the gear ratio on my 99 model.
Right? :?:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yeah that's what I was basically getting at.
The gear ratio for the 6 speed is different from my 5 speed. Therefore, the gear ratio of the torsen on a 2001 model wouldn't work with the gear ratio on my 99 model.
Right? :?:
It will work just fine. One is 3.9, the other is 4.30. either will "fit"
Your transmission doesnt know the difference.
Final gear ratio of either 5 speed or 6 speed tranny is the same. You can use either diff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts