ClubRoadster.net banner

281 - 300 of 307 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
^it does; spring rates are linear based on compression.
No, it doesn't. If you have an 8kg/mm spring, if you compress it 1mm, it takes 8kg. To compress between 1-2mm, it's another 8kg. This is a pretty common misconception of spring preload.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
pls view spring compression chart. No further discussion required. ;)
Spring rate != force exerted. I think it's just an issue of terminology at this point. A linear spring does not have any change in spring rate. Think about it in terms of derivatives if that makes it any more clear.

·
Registered
167 Posts

you're posting in two threads about the Megans EZ asking the same questions....
haha i know, i wasnt getting a reply for a while so i brought my question to the main thread, and then it so happened that people started replying.. so i just answered on both threads. thanks for the help though guys.:blaugh:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The point of the Megan EZs for me, was the threaded body. It allows you to maintain full stroke as well as zero preloading. If you want to go lower, you'll need to drop the perches and/or preload the springs. Your choice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The point of the Megan EZs for me, was the threaded body. It allows you to maintain full stroke as well as zero preloading. If you want to go lower, you'll need to drop the perches and/or preload the springs. Your choice.
That was my main question. Think I'm going to pick these up. Thanks for the help!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the Street series and just installed mine today.. i have it at the Megan Racing track test height HUB-to-FENDER: FRONT: 12.00" REAR: 12 3/8". I installed without the springs to test for bump clearance, the fronts have plenty of room, but the rears will bottom out on the upper control arm to the frame before the bump stop is compressed at the shortest shock body height. Left it as is for now and will try to adjust to get a lower height, aiming for about 11.5" Front and 11.75-12" Rear

·
Registered
137 Posts
How can you drop the perches and preload the spring at the same time ? Isn't the perch what preloads the spring when you move it up? I'm new and just got megan streets and my rear is at a nice height with only lowering the body and having zero preload. However the front the body is lowered all the way and still was not low enough so I had to lower the perch about a half inch. Is this right? Also what are you guys runing for dampener settings?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I should have omitted the 'and' in the and/or. You're right, you can only do one or the other. I'd make sure your shock bodies are in their shortest position, then drop the perches to attain the ride height you want.

I've found that 8 clicks from full soft toward hard is a good setting for me. YMMV

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Been looking closely at these Megans. I sell at least 2 or 3 sets of EZ Streets a week, and can tell you all about their monotube design, anodized shock body, and 15 way dampers, but when it comes time for me to buy them for myself, I'm hesitant. Smh. Lol.

For about $200 more one could get Tein's new "Street Advance" coil over. It's basically a replacement for the Flex but at entry level pricing. I'm in a rush to get out of the Ricelands that came on the car, but can't decide if I should get the Megan's for their ease of replacement, or stick with tried and true Tein's, albeit a new model.

·
··
4,227 Posts
Been looking closely at these Megans. I sell at least 2 or 3 sets of EZ Streets a week, and can tell you all about their monotube design, anodized shock body, and 15 way dampers, but when it comes time for me to buy them for myself, I'm hesitant. Smh. Lol.

For about $200 more one could get Tein's new "Street Advance" coil over. It's basically a replacement for the Flex but at entry level pricing. I'm in a rush to get out of the Ricelands that came on the car, but can't decide if I should get the Megan's for their ease of replacement, or stick with tried and true Tein's, albeit a new model.
*These are my first coilovers ever, never rode on Teins*

I'm happy with the ride of the EZs (8k·F, 6k·R as you probably memorized). I have them just stiff enough to not allow the tires to rub all day which is just right to hug corners but not rattle your teeth, for me.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Check one more for Megan's. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Installed mine earlier today. Was pretty straightforward. I like that the tophats are included so you don't have to mess with spring compressors and ****.

Anywho, quality is good. Nice looking coils. They go pretty low. I have lots of room left to lower it still. Super easy to adjust. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to drive with them since we're currently getting a bunch of snow.

I'm pleased so far!

m 001 by dserp1372, on Flickr

m 013 by dserp1372, on Flickr

m 014 by dserp1372, on Flickr

m 016 by dserp1372, on Flickr

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
How are the settings out of the box? Did you adjust the ride height after the install?

·
Registered
373 Posts
How are the settings out of the box? Did you adjust the ride height after the install?
No this is at the height they come with right out of the box. It might be a fraction of an inch off since I did apply anti-seize to the collars and that meant I had to spin them down then back up. (Had an awful experience with a seized collar on a set of Koni coils). I bumped up the damper settings two clicks harder. But I can't say what this means since I haven't driven it since the install. I'll see how they handle this weekend.

I won't mess with the ride-height again until I finish rebuilding my wheels though.

·
Motorboat Captain
9,990 Posts
Nice. Looking forward to the feedback of how they feel out of the box. So defying how much preload if any are on the springs in the first picture, and how much room there is for the shock body to spin.

I sell these to Hondas and Nissans all they but have yet to experience them in a miata.

281 - 300 of 307 Posts