ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few weeks ago I picked up a 97 Miata M edition after wanting another one for over almost a year after I blew my first Miata up. The first was one I had was a 94 that was with the Jackson racing supercharger that was installed by some hillbilly. I picked it up for cheap but it blew up 3 weeks/700 miles after I bought it. Granted those 3 weeks were spent smoking tires, bouncing it off the rev limiter and basically driving the piss out of it:slayer: It was the most fun I've ever had in a car and I've wanted another one ever since but wanted to start from bone stock and do it the right way. I have high hopes for this 97 that include a form/function setup. I want to be able to autocross it one weekend, drift it the next and then clean it off and park it for a show. Hopefully I'll force myself to take progress pics with this and keep you guys updated I'm normally really bad with that kind of stuff. Hope I don't just end up rambling on about things and I hope that this interests some of you guys. I encourage you giving me suggestions and asking questions about stuff.

FUN FACT: I have no way of proving this but the previous owner told this to me and well who could lie about this. The original owner of this car was Rob Parissi, who's that you ask? The guy who wrote this song

Well here she is, I named her Matilda because when I saw M edition written out my brain somehow came up with that lol

Anyways here's the start of things.
When test driving it I wanted to make sure that the roof would go up and down smoothly so I go to throw it back with her (current owner at the time) in the car and well the back plastic window cracked in 3 places :cry:. Didn't bother me too much I put some tape over it and decided it would get it fixed in the summer when I do the other cosmetic stuff (undercoating, fixing the minor rocker panel rust and doing a vinyl wrap). When I got it it was also in need of a passenger side window lift motor and a radio. Apart from that it exactly what I wanted.

A week after this I had a heater hose blow on me (the one from the back of the motor to the heater core) it was a bitch to fix but only cost $11 so I'll accept it. Did an oil change while I was at it.

So yesterday I started to put a stereo in it because It didn't have a working one when I got it and I went to pick up some stuff from Best Buy and come out to this.

Somehow Best Buy, a electronics store, does not have cameras in the parking lot and neither do any of the other stores around. So I'll add that to the list of things to fix :cry2:
You can also see the damaged window in that pic.

In other news I should have large quantities of parts arriving at me doorstep soon!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the radio in the other day. I consider this a weight reduction as well lol

Still need to find out what I'm going to use to cover up that 1/4 inch gap on the top of the radio

Also for some reason the door speakers on the drivers side aren't working :-/ Going to tear into that today or tomorrow and find out what's going on with that

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rolled the fenders the other night, probably going to have to do a little pull to make stuff fit without a ton of camber.

Finally got my coils in

BC BR with custom spring rates, 12 front and 10 rear. This is my first set of decent quality coils and even with the high spring rates it rides great. I currently have the damper set at 10 clicks from full hard all the way around.

I just threw them on to let them settle overnight but this is about the height I was aiming for up front but a I need a little lower in the rear. Can't wait to get those AR rims off there tonight

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

So I got some cheapo tires through the shop I work at $40 each for 195/50r15. They're Torque tires

Took it for a spin after aligning it at about 1 a.m. -3 degrees front and -4 in the rear

Then took it autocrossing. It did surprisingly well given the stance

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Nice start..thats some pretty aggressive camber numbers. Future plans? :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

So I sold my stock seats and have some Bride reps on order. I also picked up a hard dog ace rollbar with harness bar and got it bolted in and that thing is sold as F. You can hit it as hard as you can and it doesn't budge. You can feel the body vibrate though lol.

Codersozer I'm heading down to Hollywood Beach. Would love to hit up a meet or two while I'm down there

Greasemonkey2000 I milded out the camber a little bit in the front. I'm at 2.5 front and 4.0 rear. I'm going to see how that works and go from there. I eventually plan on throwing some fender flares on it and not sure what I'll do wheel-wise or camber-wise then. Also am going to boost it eventually

Crazy_Irishman Theyre 15x9 0 offset

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so the week or two leading up to my trip to Florida was full of fun Miata time, just kidding it wasn't very fun towards the end. Anyways here my list of stuff my buddies and I got done it just one week.
installed harddog roll bar, replaced rear window with my own style of thing (I'll post pics later), fixed door speakers, cut out piece of door to fit tweeters, painted and replaced wipers, painted and replaced finish panel, replaced all pads and rotors, rotated and balanced tires, aligned it, taught myself to weld, made custom seat brackets because I ordered the wrong ones, changed the oil, ran seafoam through vacuum line, installed seats (had a hell of a time getting them), installed harnesses, gutted the trunk, remounted the lip, replaced window motors, replaced door speakers.

me cutting stuff

got the bar in nicely

cutting bigger holes for the tweeters

this panel was originally red so I sanded, wet sanded and painted it black but I didn't like how it looked and you could see scratches through the paint so I plasti-dipped over it.

made it down to Florida with no problems (surprisingly)

had a caliper start to seize up while I was down there :-/ they weren't exactly thrilled but I convinced a shop just to jack it up from the tow hook and swap it out for me the next day :-D

found a Ferrari dealership while in Ft. Lauderdale and had to take lots of pictures. A mechanic came out and complimented my car and made me feel warm inside lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts