ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you have been around owners of the same type car for as long as some of us have it seems a variety of terms are created. So I'd like to create a Resource page for both the old school guys to help teach the new guys, and the newer guys teach us older guys what some of these terms are, this way there are not so many questions on what does this or that stand for.

I’ve been driving Miatas and have been actively involved in the clubs & online community for 17+ years now (damn im old right?). :fp: Anyhow I figure we can all help each other out by updating this list. All I ask is that members please keep it serious and PG-Rated.

Here is an example so you can get the basic idea.

For the new owners, do you know what an MSM is? Or how many folks have installed a HDHCHTDD? Or the more common, what do you mean remove my baby teeth to save weight? Or what is a Frankenstein bolt? All of these are very recognized terms for longtime Miata owners, but maybe not so much for the new owners.

So I think the time has come to kick-off a list for ClubRoadster members. Remember these are terms that if you said at work or a dinner party they would look at you with a blank stare. :eek: If you learn anything from this list then mission accomplished and we'll all be a tick sharper.

The 1st one is THEE most important!!
If you dont know this, then you dont know your Miata! :woolery:

Jinba ittai (人馬一体), "person [and] horse [as] one body")
is a Japanese four-character compound describing unity of horse and rider as one which is pertinent to Yabusame, Japanese mounted archery. The term was used in the development of the Mazda MX-5 to describe a driver's connection with the car.

Baby Teeth – Tie down hooks in the front mouth that should never be used for towing so most enthusiast remove them.

Barn doors - the popup headlights on the NA models.

Eyeball vents - Air-conditioning/heater vents nicknamed this because they
are shaped and move like eyeballs.

Frankenstein bolts – hardtop attaching bolts that came standard on NAs & NBs with Hardtops

NA - 1st generation Miata ’90 – ’97

NB - 2nd generation Miata ’99 to 2005

NC - 3rd generation Miata '06 to present

ND - 4th generation TBD

Eunos - the luxury, upscale brand offered in Japan on several Mazda vehicles including our NA Roadster from 89 - 97

M2 - Short for "Mazda Two" aka M2-Corporation in Japan

Miata – Old German word meaning “high reward”

Miatae – Plural of Miata, or a group of Miatas

Mouse Trap - these are the style bars you see on eBay, called such due to rollovers and the outcome.

HDHCHTDD - a commonly used and trusted rollbar - Hard-Dog, HardCore, HardTop, Double Diagonal

Miata Wave/Wink – flashing the headlights, or NA barn doors or just waving wildly when you see another Miata owner driving by.

OTMs – Other Than Miatas – cars that are not Miatas :fab:

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
Not sure if it counts, but here goes:

B&T - Black and Tan

SE/LE - Special Edition and Limited Edition

MSM - MazdaSpeed Miata

M1/M2 HDHC - Hard Dog Hard Core roll bar. Comes in a few variations including: Double Diagonal, Single Diagonal, Hard Top (fits under hard tops) and in either the M1 (NA miatae) or M2 (NB miatae or miatae with glass soft top windows. Throw all the versions together and you get HDHCDDHT :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Here's some terms that I've seen confused or could be confused.

AFM
- Air Flow Meter

MAF - Mass Air Flow (sensor)

CAS - Cam Angle Sensor

SNC/LNC- Short Nose/Long Nose Crankshaft

BRG- British Racing Green (a.k.a Best Miata Colour Ever)

10AE- 10th Anniversary Edition Miata

VLSD- Viscous Limited Slip Differential

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
Torsen LSD - Better than the viscous

TSI - Turn Signal Intake

SS - Stainless Steel (as in brake lines) or Short Shifter. It depends on context of course

STS - Short Throw Shifter. Changes the fulcrum point on which the shifter pivots.

STO - Special Touring Option. NA option package.

PEP - Popular Equipment Package. NA option package.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,313 Posts
MSM - Mazdaspeed Motorsports
More often, MSM refers to the Mazdaspeed Miata, produced from 2004-05. It came standard with, among other things, special Bilstein shocks and stiffer springs, up-sized (23mm/14mm) sway bars, special 17" wheels, special colors, and a special appearance package including front, rear, and side skirts along with a decklid spoiler.
Hard Top (fits under hard tops)
That's a common misconception. The "non-hardtop" Hard Core bars will fit under a hardtop. However, the factory side latches will not fit, as the main hoop is too far forward and too wide. The latches will have to be removed and may be replaced by low-profile latches (though even these may not fit). The HDHCHT may also need these latches.
Torsen LSD - Better than the viscous
Not to be confused with the Tochigi Fuji Super LSD used on NB's from 2003-2005 which is a cone/clutch type differential.
STO - Special Touring Option. NA option package.
For those who have owned (or know someone who has owned) one, it's derisively called "Stuff Taken Off". The car has less options (no LSD, for example) than the M-Edition cars offered from 94-97 despite the special paint and wheels (which are the same type but a different color than the wheels offered on the 1996 M-Edition). These were the last NA's built and are more or less made from parts that were left over prior to NB production.

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
I obviously fail at this haha

I guess I'll spend more time on the forums :woolery:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,313 Posts
I obviously fail at this haha

I guess I'll spend more time on the forums :woolery:
The only one you really "messed up" on was the MSM one. While a lot of folks understand Mazdaspeed Motorsports, it's a good bet that everyone, whether enthusiast or not, knows what a MazdaSpeed Miata is.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Shinsen Version The Shinsen provided an intermediate step between the base model and the pricier LS. Equipped with most standard features on the LS, such as cruise control and aluminum brush trim. This limited production model also shared an inverted color scheme of the same year Special Edition with a titanium silver exterior and dark blue top and interior.

M Edition Annual special editions between 94 and 97. C package cars with special paint and wheels usually.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,313 Posts
Technically, C-Package was only in use until '94. Starting in '95, the M-Edition cars basically got the PEP.

In fact, have a look at this. It'll help for spotting any year car :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
PPF - Power Plant Frame

BEGi - Bell Engineering Group, Inc, aftermarket supplier, strangely their website is titled "Bell Experimental Group"

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
NA6 First generation NA with a 1.6 liter engine.

NA8 Second generation NA with 1.8 liter engine

·
Registered
531 Posts
B6 - 89-93 1.6L Engine
BP - 94-97 1.8L Engine
BP4W - 1999-2000 1.8L / 2004-2005 Mazdaspeed
BPZ3 - 2001-2005 1.8L Engine
Also commonly used to refer to the cylinder head alone.

May as well finish it up:

SB also commonly Short Block: General automotive term for assembled Engine Block (with pistons, rods, crank, etc) without Cylinder Head.

LB also commonly Long Block: General automotive term for assembled Engine Block (pistons, rods, crank, etc) with assembled Cylinder Head (cams, valves, etc).

Bare e.g. "Bare Cylinder Head", "Bare Casting", etc: An engine major component without necessary parts to make an assembled, ready to install unit. May or may not require further machining.

Interference and Non-Interference: Refers to the design of any engine's valvetrain. An interference design means the valves can contact the piston and/or each other if a valve timing event component fails. A Non-Interference design means that the valves will not contact the piston or each other in typical failure modes.

Significance: Mostly when describing the result of a broken timing belt/chain/gearset. Engine damage is likely with an Interference type while a Non-Interference type generally will survive and can be up and running with a new belt etc. Note that modified valvetrains (bigger cam, larger valves) can transform a Non-Interference type to Interference type.

The 1.6 and 1.8L Miata motors are Non-Interference type (with stock valvetrain). Information on the 2.0L DOHC motor is contradictory; may or may not be Non-Interference.

·
Murse Magnet
7,457 Posts
949 A competitor to flyin miata that sells quality miata parts for both street and track.

Koni Yellow is the short had way of saying the koni sport shock.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts