ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of months ago I decided to build a little sports car that would be based on the Miata. I was going to sculpt my own body that would look like a 50"s race car, make molds and then lay up a fiberglass body. But, I found a gentleman in England, Gary Janes, that had just finished a doing a body that was almost what I was looking for. Gary designed the body to fit on a Triumph Herald chassis. The Triumph has almost the same wheelbase as the Miata but is 6 inches narrower. Gary agreed to widen it for me. Attached are some pictures of it just completed. It will be shipped to me this week. When it arrives I will make the final fitment.

In preparation of the arrival of the body I have purchased a 1990 Miata that only has 70,000 miles on it. I have started to strip it down. I will not be using the Miata windshield or doors. The car will have a low "Speedster" style windscreen. I am bolting braces into the lower half of the door openings. My car will have functioning half doors.

An aluminum facia for the gauge cluster, a wood steering wheel, and vintage looking seats will complete the look. I think the project will be fun and the result will be a cool little car. I am not looking to build a race car, just a fun toy.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Anymore photos of the RS550 Spyder in the background on photo #1? i used to have a Beck RSK rep with a 2.7 and regret selling it to this day.

EDIT: The shell you're about to use almost looks like an early to mid 50's 512TR from the front! It's gonna look sweet.

---
- Ken B. posted this from his iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The body is leaving Monday from England and will be on it's way to me. It's amazing how long it takes to make the shipping arrangements. And, How much it costs.

In the mean time I unbolted all I can from 1 of the 2 MX5"s that I have. Then I used a reciprocating saw to cut the rest. I haven't stripped the engine compartment or AC or Heater. And, there may be more that I can cut out. I have a set of racing scales. As the car is pictured it weighs 1635lbs. This would mean that my finished car would be around 1800 lbs complete.

I have decided to scrap using the MX5 tub and fabricate my own space frame. The MX5 suspension cradles will bolt into it. It will be skinned with aluminum panels to form the floors, bulkheads, foot boxes, ect. I have done the same thing while building cars using the C5 Corvette parts. The body will be a simple skin that will slide over the frame and will have a full tilting hood. I am looking to be around 1450 lbs complete for this version.

I decided to build the space frame because I wanted the car to be stiffer, lighter, and cleaner looking. I think the shape of the body deserves this. Imagine a Supercharged or Turbocharged version of this car. The fact that the wheelbase and track remains the same means that any aftermarket performance part will fit.

I can't really get started on the frame until the body arrives so it will be awhile before a build thread gets going.
Merry Christmas to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Wow, what a cool project. Will the front clip be hinged, or just easily removable? Please keep this thread updated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that is funny! I am not a millionaire. But, I am constantly bored! I have pretty much built a unique car every year for the past 10 years. Usually just when I get it completed some one offers me money for it so I let it go. Then I need another one! For me the fun is in designing the car, figuring out how to make it all work, and then building it. This is just what i do for fun.

A number of years ago I was hit between a truck and a car that my 2 year old daughter was driving. She woke up from a nap, got out of a car seat, climbed to the front floor, pushed the throttle to full on my 69 Chevelle and pulled the gear shift lever into 1st gear. I was hooking up Jumper cables to the truck. I was rammed full throttle into the truck. I couldn't walk for 2 years and had 5 surgeries to walk. I couldn't do my job. I had insurance to cover my medical but not loss of income. I sold my house and moved into a Tipi while recovering. I didn't have money form my children's Christmas presents so I made a wooden Dinosaur coin bank that would "Eat money!" I took them to a craft show and they sold very well. I have been selling them ever since. www.bigbellybanks.com

I make enough to support my family and fun but not a millionaire.

·
Supporting Member
1,146 Posts
Wow! Talk about a tragic event. I only meant my question rhettorically, not seriously but thanks for sharing your story. Incredible the odds of something like that happening. I like what you're doing nowadays with your different projects. Hell of a spirit. It would take me longer than one year per project though. On that note, I can't wait to see what you do with this one.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Oh man, glad you're back doing what you love! Did you drive the miata around after cutting all that weight off? I can imagine that being a good bit of fun :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have seen these banks before!! My friends,little brother actually had one I.used to think it was a very neat little "piggy" bank.

Great project here, cant wait to.see it unfold.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice project :D

I'm thinking about a similar project for my rusty white NA, but have no skills to create a rolling chassis, based on the MX-5 PPF, engine and drivetrains...

'will follow the progress with much attention :twisted:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts