ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Apologies for cell phone pictures)

Names Brian sure you couldn't guess,

New to Miatas save up some cash and bought one at night time. its been fun so far. lesson number one DON'T BUY A CAR AT NIGHT! haha! lesson learned...

made a decision lets see it through...

some history about me... Love car, always have, built a 240sx that got stolen 5 years ago. realized how much i did to it when the cops found it completely gutted. they took everything i had done to it and left everything i had not touched. pictures to bring back my memory...

atleast they were nice enough to put a set of stock shocks and springs a passenger seat in the drivers side and a stock steering wheel back on...

On to bigger better things.....

bought myself an E36 M3 from my dads friend looked great at the time. till 3 weeks later it turned into a fog machine... with 210,000 miles i got rid of it. never stopped breaking enough for me to feel comfortable ever tracking it.

After this i vowed to own a new car and i did!

bought myself a MK6 VW GTI... which i absolutely love and will keep in stock trim for who knows how long!

now on to the important stuff! the Little green machine that will be a weekend cruiser/trackrat!

sadly after a few days in the garage without being driven i started looking over the car and found this!!!

yea!!!! holy crap is right! time to make a decision, sell it and take my loss or make the best out of it... i chose the latter! ive always wanted to learn to weld and this is the perfect car simply because i dont have to drive it everyday.

made my investment...

practice...

time to prep and weld!!!

much much MUCH harder in the car with dirty metal!

i feel like crap today so i decided get out of my deathbed and make some kind of progress cause its been a couple weeks since i touched the car! so i did...

just before clean up...

rust is only present there, im having fun along the way... stay tuned. progress is slow but hopefully steady... ive got some parts in... steering wheel, hub, short shifter, radiator, and im pieces together some itbs thanks to garagestar and tetsuyagarage for help with those. I'm making a custom exhaust out of a Ferrari 599 with working exhaust valve.

ENJOY.... i'll keep updating

·
Registered
404 Posts
when i saw the rust pic, i thought i was looking at a picture of a sunken ship underwater :eek:
good job on the welding though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
haha! Thanks guys! i scuba dive and i could definately see something like that being down there. the floor is coming together little by little. i need some seam sealer to seal of the framerail from the inside and put the last strip of metal and weld it shut. afterwards i need to weld from the bottom of the car and seam seal and undercoat. Going to get the Flyin Miata Framerails in due time before putting the carpet back in.

Few pictures of the parts waiting to go in... (again excuse the iPhone 3gs pictures)

330mm

short shifter with BMW delrin shift knob

·
Registered
39 Posts
First off, that was a beautiful s13! Can't believe it was stolen. Man, that'd be like losing a child. But at least it gave you an opportunity to start another project. Welcome to cr.net.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Hello good sir. Glad to see you on here, haha.
Sucks that happened to your 240. **** looked really clean man.
Can't wait to see what else you have in store for your build.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Im impressed that you learned to weld just to do that rust job, most people would go and make it someone elses problem. Nice progress so far.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
I bought a car on ebay once. It had night time pictures in the snow. Pretty red car. I went to pick it up. Drove 6 hours through a snow storm and got there at night. Looked good, ran good........brought it home. woke up with sunny weather the next day and it was pink

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the welcoming comments! yes im in miami SFLMIATA.

Sup Erick!

I sure miss that 240. that's how i enjoy my cars the best... simple, functional, fun. slammed stuff isn't for me, i slammed the 240 once. when i hit every reflector on the street i knew it was time to come up and forget the silliness.

Yea as far as welding, i forced myself not to overthink it and just jumpped into it head first. i watched all the mig welding videos on the internet that i could watch without actual practice. i also have many friends who weld and many more who race and i've had enough of a drought without modifying and doing stuff i want to do to a car. As my screen name implies i'm a tech and i'm constantly trying to learn new things. Welder was a fantastic investment highly recommend it for anyone even thinking about welding. Plus its a multi-plug system so i could use 110V and 220V when available.

parts coming...

FM stainless framerails

along with V-Maxx Coilovers if and when the NB package becomes available... Hate waiting for parts!

Need to order a Premuffler, stainless piping for the exhaust and some flanges cause the last owner decided to booger weld the aluminized crush bent piping to the RS*R header.

if there was a tank big enough i would put the entire car in a tank of degreaser cause the engine has 20+ years of gunk! once clean i'll be able to see what i need to replace and how to approach it. Flushing the engine with some engine cleaner stuff that replaces the oil. instructions at work have always been simple (drain oil, change oil filter, add engine cleaner run at idle for 10 minutes, run at 2k to 3k rpm for 10 minutes, drain oil while hot, change filter, add good oil and drive. we'll see what happens and how many oil leaks i get afterwards!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Fm frame rails should be awesome.

A heads up about NB suspension on an NA is that the front shocks are about 2" longer than oem, so you'll need to buy either NB top hats, or a set of ISC extended ones to keep the travel if you plan on lowering it...

Have you decided what you wanna do with your engine in the end? lol ITB's would be so awesome.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

I saw that 240 up for sale with the same exact pictures up sometime around last year. It was up on Craigslist not sure what city but if I remember correctly it had an auto tranny but the guy had a complete 5 speed swap with it. I was meaning to check it out but decided against it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Great start and nice welding for a beginer! looks really good.

I'm putting my flame suit on now but will that muffler make the car sound more like a ...Ferrari?! Obviously not exactly but will it give a more aggressive and exotic sound? I know, i'm sorry, haha. It looks sweet, but I want it make 599 noises all day long

1 - 16 of 16 Posts