ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I posted in the miata commercial thread, I want to know how you fell in love with your Miata. What made you buy one? Here's my story....

My first car was a 1998 Silver Mazda MX-6 GT. (Yes all I've ever owned are Mazda's).
My father bought the car for me a few months after I left for college (after he made sure I was going to stay). I went away to school in Rochester, NY. I'm originally from Buffalo (snow six months of the year I know)... neither of which areas are convertible or sports car friendly. The only place I have ever seen a Miata was on TV. Even in 1997 when I left for school they were super rare.

My MX-6 and I went everywhere, and did everything you should do when your in college. Though I didn't always take care of the car the way I should have I did and still do love that car very much. In college I was never much of a car guy, the MX-6's only modifications were a set of fog lamps and well a bunch of dents from me learning how to drive.

At the time I was dating a girl from Hamburg, NY which was near 3 hours away from school. Every weekend for a year, I would drive back to visit her and my parents. I had some how managed to date Emily for 4 months and never met her parents. Well the day finally came that her father came home while we were... yeah I won't finish that part ;)...

Never the less, her father asked me if the Mazda in the driveway was mine. I kind of quietly nodded, the then asked if it was a stick... nodded again. I was a little embarrassed of what we were just doing (though we didn't exactly get caught).

He then asked me if I had seen his Mazda in the garage. I said "no Sir, I have never seen your garage". With that he laughed and threw me a set of keys and said come on lets go for a drive. At this time, Emily was still upstairs... ummm getting dressed :oops:

Her father opened the garage to revel a 1995 Brilliant Black NA w/ tan top and leather seats. It was beautiful... We made small talk about the car for a while, when he said to get in. I moved to the passenger side, when Dan (her father) said, I gave you the keys, you said you can drive a stick, get in.

At this point, I just figured he was giving me one last thrill before he killed me for touching his daughter and dumped my body somewhere in the farm country we drove through.

However I couldn't have been more wrong. All we talked about was car, and drove. I will never forget that August day in 1997, it was the first time driving became something more than transportation for me.

So yup... that's my story now lets hear yours!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I had had subarus in HS then moved on to a 2001 VW GTI. I was getting fed up with a $350 car payment and all sorts of reliabilty gremlins. Then people on The VW vortex started getting enamored with Miatas and I went right along with the crowd there. So I started reading ^.net and found MY LE in the classifieds there. My mother and I drove 2 hours to go buy it. The test drive was the second time I had ever driven one. bought it and drove it home. The end.

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
after riding in my cousins 94r with numerous modifications on backroads several times, I knew I had to have one.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the story's guys I know this thread as come and gone a few times, but never hurts to keep it going with new members being added everyday! Look forward to hearing more!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I started drifting in 2000 with my buddies (yep, before you copy-cats biting my style) and I had already owned two Mazdas by that time, so I figured I would be different and buy a Miata.

I didn't actually get one till 2006 and now everyone wants a Miata. ****.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
My story is that in 1989 I read all the articles on Mazda's new sports car and fell in love with it.

Even went to the dealer to look (droool) at one.

BUT living in Montreal with six months of winter and six months of lousy hockey it is not a practical car for someone who was a big time skier, nor did I have the cash to by the MX-5 let alone a winter car. (poor and young)

Fast forward to 2001 I was looking for a new car to replace my Cavalier Z24 and was looking at Celica's, Eclipse?, MB 190 and others. I was driving one of my employee's / friend crazy as I changed my mind every other day on what I wanted.

He drove a '90 MX-5 and knew that I always liked his car and Miata?s in general.

On a Monday he just told me to shut up about cars and buy a dam Miata. That night I was driving to a friends place for dinner and past a Mazda dealership that had two white MX-5?s in the used car section a ?92 & a ?94. Tuesday I went to the dealer but we could not come to a deal on either of the cars.

The next night a spotted a Mariner Blue ?92 at another dealer stopped in test drive the car talked a deal that made us both happy. Put money down on it. Picked the car up on Saturday and have been driving it for 6 years.

So after lusting over Miata?s for over 10 years I made an impulse buy.

This winter I will be spending about Cdn $ 20,000.00 in upgrades to my little ?92 with more to come (which is twice what I paid for the car)

·
Registered
22 Posts
First time I remember seeing a miata was at the local emissions testing facility. I was driving my parents Hyundai (POS) and notice this little red car just ahead of me getting tested, then noticed it had the rear wheels on the rollers. Instantly I was enamored.

Later in life, married, kid, and family life. It was great, had a newer Turbo VW ('02 Turbo S Beetle) as the family car. Well, family life ended (divorced) and no longer could afford the VW. With the VWvortex/CarLounge always singing the praise of the miata, only needing 2 seats now (me and my son), and that little moment years ago, I looked for, drove, and bought my roadster. '92, red, single owner, base model, 50k miles. Perfect.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My buddy stopped by my house in a black Miata... I asked where he got it and he said it was his Aunts then asked me if I wanted to drive it. So... we went for a drive down to beach where he let me get behind the wheel. Instantly I fell in love with the car I knew that one day I would have to buy one. Little did I know that a year later I would deperatly need a car that would make the hour drive to work (my 84 626 was showing its age) I started looking at a modded Asuna Sunfire but the deal fell thru. My friend gave me a call and told me his aunt was giving him the Miata but he didnt want it and told me she would sell it to me cuz he didnt want it. So I ended up buying my 93 Miata black and tan for $2000 with all options

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
money burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to buy a daily driver. 5speed, rwd, fun to drive. MR2's were scarce and expensive compared to the MX5 so sure enough I bought one, never having sat or driven in one before.

needless to say I am enjoying my purchase. haha

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
i wanted to conquer every single RWD import maker there is, i already went through nissan(s13), and Toyota (2 ae86s), and i traded my last 86 for the miata, only one left to do is honda, which would be a s2000, or an NSX lol!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
coupeloop, you need to get yourself a Mitsubishi Starion too! :lol:

The Miata was always a car I liked but never really "that much"... though for a long time I purposefully avoided driving one because I knew I'd be in love.

I drove one. I fell in love. But I had other cars keeping me busy, a couple S13s that I was also in love with.

Fast forward to February 2005. I had just crashed my S13 project car on an icy morning, and I was getting a little bored of just driving my Mazda Protege5. I wasn't really intending to buy a car right then, but I saw my car sitting on a used car lot for a good price so I snatched it up. Total impulse buy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
DRFT MX5: thanks for that poignant story :)

I got my miata because my girlfriend thought they were nice..

j/k!!

OK, here's the real story.
I've always been into cars. I grew up playing racing games while my friends were playing final fantasy and the like. I started off with a 92' corolla. It's stick, and it's surprisingly fast for what it is(rather than the miata being surprisingly slow for what it is). With a 9 second 0-60, it'll make you wonder why your 1.6L NA's can only ride next to it. I didn't mind driving it. It's my first car, and I'm likely to wreck it anyways. But three years passed, and I never even dented it.
So I was ready to upgrade. I had about $4000 to spend, and I wanted a sporty car. It had to be RWD, and fun to drive. I was looking at the 240sx's, but felt it was too much of a boy racer cliché(which is funny, since I got the gay/chick car cliché). I loved the 300ZX, and had my mind set on it, until it finally came to me that it just wasn't too cost-smart of a choice. It's not all too reliable, costs a lot to work on, eats gas.
Then I was reading about the miata. Lightweight RWD roadster, very fun to drive, reliable, cheap on the used market, cheap to maintain, decent gas mileage. The NB's looked sweet as hell too. It looked like the perfect car for a car-aficionado broke college student. I was lucky to find a 99' with 105k miles for $4600 too.
The only downside now is this - my plan of saving gas money failed now that I take it out just to drive around for fun so often. :p

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
My first car was a 1998 Silver Mazda MX-6 GT. (Yes all I've ever owned are Mazda's).
My father bought the car for me a few months after I left for college (after he made sure I was going to stay). I went away to school in Rochester, NY. I'm originally from Buffalo (snow six months of the year I know)...
That's funny. I started off with a silver '92 MX-6 LX that I bolted a turbo from a '89 Probe GT. I convinced my sister to get a '93 MX-3 and now she's upgraded to a 2002 Mazda6. Oh and I went to UB for a semester and lived in Rochester for a few years. Now I'm back in Syracuse. I was planning on moving to VA beach with my cuz but ended up staying here. I miss the oscillating center vents in my MX-6!

Anyway I'm a Mazda fan and wanted rwd and couldn't afford an FD or an NB. Luckily I ended up with an NA!

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
I had a 01 Neon R/T throughout high school... I was vocational so I had to drive over to another school (about 10 minute drive) everyday. My manufacturing teacher had an 01 BRG Special Edition. He would park it INSIDE the shop. So I'd be staring at it all day while working on the lathes and what not. It was ridiculous!!!

It had the chrome wheels and filler door... and the BRG looked soooo good with the tan interior. We had many discussions about that car, and I fell in love. He said he had an NA before the NB for many years, and that he would sell the NB for the next one. I told him to let me know when that happened, because I wanted to buy it. He lives right by me but since he retired, I've only seen him in the Miata once. (One time he missed a big presentation at school b/c he couldn't get out of his icy driveway hahahaha)

Well, fast forward like 4 years. I happened to be driving around, out to a car show about 45 minutes away. I had nothing better to do. I passed a house with a little green NA sitting in the front sloping yard. What caught my eye was the big white writing on the windshield. "$2600 TAKES IT!!!" I turned the Peon around IMMEDIATELY. I actually got stuck trying to get in the drive and sheared off part of the clamp that was holding the Neon's exhaust on (It was way too low + crazy driveway).

I was walking around the car when the guy washing the Izuzu in the drive came over to talk. The car was all shiny and only had a few door dings. He opened it up and it looked pretty good. We opened the hood. I had no clue what I was looking for but he said the A/C needed recharged (bah!). It didn't seem too shabby. I got his #.

It wasn't his car, but he was selling it for someone, who's husband had just passed away and she didn't want to look at the car. I called him back and by that time I think they had discussed, researched, etc and raised the price a little bit. I was kinda mad b/c he said I'd have it at $2,600. Because of my crazy work schedule, I had my parents go look at it and see what they thought. They paid via check and I am paying them back for it still (lost a job then gained a better paying one).

We went and picked it up soon after and my dad followed me home in the Dakota. It was almost out of gas so I stopped to get gas.
1.) I pulled the SEAT lever assuming that it was the gas door lever and it hit me in the head. HARD.
2.) I had to pull the manual out to figure out WhereTF the gas door handle was.

I love my little car :D 8)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My father bought the car for me a few months after I left for college (after he made sure I was going to stay). I went away to school in Rochester, NY. I'm originally from Buffalo (snow six months of the year I know)...
That's funny. I started off with a silver '92 MX-6 LX that I bolted a turbo from a '89 Probe GT. I convinced my sister to get a '93 MX-3 and now she's upgraded to a 2002 Mazda6. Oh and I went to UB for a semester and lived in Rochester for a few years. Now I'm back in Syracuse. I was planning on moving to VA beach with my cuz but ended up staying here. I miss the oscillating center vents in my MX-6!

Anyway I'm a Mazda fan and wanted rwd and couldn't afford an FD or an NB. Luckily I ended up with an NA!
Very cool story! If you end up in VA Beach let me know We'll have to meet up! We've got a club roadster meet this weekend up in Fredricksburg, which I'm sure you know if you've read the forum for more than 30 seconds! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts